Dry Sump Pan_Moroso SBC

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

postal123

Dry Sump Pan_Moroso SBC

Post by postal123 »

I'm cobbling a system together and bought this on the bay. It looked expensive, looked to be in good shape and the price made it worth a shot.

Moroso with no part number. Says its SBC 2 piece RMS. Arrived without tray/screen so planning a Stef's coated screen cut to fit. Not listed on site so assume it's no longer made.

--3 -12 pickups; 10" wide, 6" deep and 5" deep at front; should fit fine for my application.
--Not crazy about front pickup location, but I'm sure it can be made to work well.
--Equidistant baby kickouts; small starter fits, but overhang requires a flush adapter at oil filter mount.
--will be my first time installing this type pan. Silicone? Gasket? Gasket with Silicone?
--thread sealer on plugs?
--I've read some tips and no one mentions what I thought would work well -- Grade 8 threaded rod at 5.5" and 4.5 lengths and use Grade 8 coupling nuts with lock washers; so if one came loose it should stay put. Or would windage work things loose?

Can anyone ID the pan? Thoughts?

Have a new 3 gallon tank that'll fit where I need it and I'm talking with a few vendors for pump, pump mount, front drive and configuration. Will create a new post once along the way.

Thanks,
Rob
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Re: Dry Sump Pan_Moroso SBC

Post by Warp Speed »

Looks very similar (basically identical) to the pans we used in the late 90s to mid 2000s in the Nascar Busch series, except they were steel. Busch was limited to a 5 stage pump then, hence only 3 pick ups. We didn't use a screen because they would crack from vibration.
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

Used similar on my dirt late model. Used The Right Stuff silicone as a gasket. Attached the pan with allen bolts because it was easier to get a long allen wrench threw the access hole than a socket.
postal123

Post by postal123 »

Thanks guys, I'll give it a go.
Dave B
Pro
Pro

Post by Dave B »

Used several of those in sprints and late models. First thing we always did was throw windage screen in trash. Makes a mess when they come apart and crank snags them.
bullheaded

Post by bullheaded »

When I first started running dry sump I bought a “budget” pan ,steel but had a receiver pouch,crank scrapers and screens. Scavaging was terrible. Stepped up to a more expensive billet rail aluminum pan, big kick outs but wide open inside, much better scavenging with everything else in the system the same.
The more I know,the harder it gets.