Bill Mitchell World Products Mopar 446 RB build

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

zygotemrsmith

Bill Mitchell World Products Mopar 446 RB build

Post by zygotemrsmith »

I am doing a build and review with the Aluminum World Products Hemi/Wedge block - I will just create a big linear thread until someone moves it or deletes it.

Hopefully the info will help somebody avoid some pitfalls and gotchas.

Essentially the same block that Blasphemy ran 2000 hp though for quite some time.
Last edited by zygotemrsmith on Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zygotemrsmith

Re: Bill Mitchell World Products Mopar 446 RB build

Post by zygotemrsmith »

The pieces:

2023 Manufactured all aluminum block in 4.250 bore from World Products

The block checked out nicely all around. Good flat deck and alignment, cam tunnel and mains spot on, sleeves +.001 positive bore placement. (You will need a slide hammer to work the mains, very snug)

The block has provisional oiling for the rocker shafts (you do not need to worry about indexing the upper holes in the number 4 cam bearing) It does use the same delivery hole on the deck to feed the rockers through the heads. Restrictor plugs are included. (You drill them to match your needs)

Be careful with the aluminum block plugs. There are many plugs and they need anti-seize on them. I used the aluminized Permatex. I think a copper base would be better to stop galling.

Trickflow 240 Mopar RB heads with the 1.560 solid roller springs. (Part # TFS-6161T784-C00) 240 lbs @ 2.000 installed and 600 lbs @ 720 lift - that was the max safe lift recorded) Gaskets are Cometic .027 4.380 bore.
No orings in block or heads -

Ohio 4340 Chinese crank custom machined by Ohio Crankshaft, nice .092 radius on the fillets. Polished and finished by Ohio Crankshaft for .003 mains with Clevite narrow bearings H code. 3.750 factory stroke with mopar 2.375 pins. Crank was spot on with no remarkable flicker or taper.

The engine block was machined by Reher Morrison of Arlington Tx. They did a fine job of holding the finish bore @ 4.355 with negligible taper. (Thanks to Larry and the Crew there for taking on a mopar block)

Pistons are Ross 99501 with 14cc of dome. Final skirt measurement for cylinder to wall clearance came in at 4.349 as recommended by Ross. (Full floating with double spirolox and .990 pins)
Static compression calculation 13 to 1 -

The ring package is Hellfire custom filed for medium to light Nitrous use.

Rods are SCAT H beam with ARP 2000 fasteners. (These rods checked out very well, needed no work)
.0025 on the rods with clevite H.

Camshaft is Bullet with UDHarold asymmetric lobes - 4.320 and 4.190 intake an exhaust on a 112 LSA. 253 and 259 @ .050 duration - 4 degrees advanced install -

Hughes Engines roller rockers 1.6 all around with their special bolt kit and hardened shafts - nice sweep @ .690 lift nominal -

Intake is Edelbrock 440 six pack - bell mouth matched to the heads - ports needed very minimal work to match.

Carbs are 1970s Holley vintage with 50 cc pumps fore/aft and 30 cc center. They are full mechanical linkage.
67 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 67 Nova »

Good luck, I like to follow this type of stuff
zygotemrsmith

Post by zygotemrsmith »

The block is nicely clearanced for a mechanical fuel pump:

M4862 carter Fuel Pump, Strip Super Series, Mechanical, 120 gph Flow Rate, 9 psi

Speedmaster stud kit - PCE279.1018 is employed for fastening the heads. You get 1 inch of threads in the block with this kit. World tapped the holes to 1.350 approx. There is plenty of height on these studs for the tall Trick Flow heads, no need for special order of longer studs.

Oiling duties are handled by Milodon 21814 pump and factory style pump cover.

440 Source hemi oil pan and 1/2 inch pickup tube with Jegs composite self sealing windage tray pair well together.

The pickup tube has a special mount piece from World and should be assembled as a unit with the tube before bolting in place in the block. (you won't be able to thread it in once mounted)

Cam walk is addressed with Mancini Racing's MRE930 thrust plate (comes with 3 bolts)

Isky EZ roll red zone 3472-RH EZX lift the valves on the billet roller with Huges Engines 6213BB treated steel gear and shaft meshing to the distributor input.

Timing is handled with Rollmaster (red series) CS5140 with torrington bearing integrated to rear of billet sprocket.

Speedmaster part # 1-385-007 el rayo ignition handles ignition duties - check it out overall @ --> (it is a chevy kit reviewed - LOL - mopar is packaged out the same)
Last edited by zygotemrsmith on Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
learner1

Post by learner1 »

What's the rpm range?
zygotemrsmith

Post by zygotemrsmith »

3000 to 6500
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick! »

As long as you don't do silly things like clearance the rockers for valve retainer clearance you should be fine.
I don't see that that block is main priority oiling. I'd install an oil pressure cut-off switch to minimize badness when a rocker lets go and the lifter leaves its hole.
You're using restrictors for rocker shaft oiling, correct?
zygotemrsmith

Post by zygotemrsmith »

We are going to drill the restrictors for .060, about .020 larger than some builders. We do have the good Milodon pump.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

For what it is worth I built a 512 using the same block, cam approximate same size, Ohio crankshaft rotating assembly, heads were Edelbrock victor jr. with a cross ram for my NSS drag car. It ran for many seasons in a 3200lb car it ran 10.00 @ 136mph to my memory. Don't know about the clearance with the trickflow heads but I had to grind a little clearance for the push rods on the block in the valley. And after a hard run on a hot day the oil pressure at idle would drop due to the expansion of the block I guess. I had a light that would come on at 30lbs and it would flicker idling up the return road. I ran 20w50 Valvoline and .003 clearances on main and rods. Just touch the throttle and it came up fine. I ran the Milodon external pickup style pump single line.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

What cam core size do you plan to run??
A customer had issues with a world block and cam flex and would loose a couple bearings from time to time.
Went to 60mm cam core and issue was solved.
Not a Hemi block but the RB style block.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
zygotemrsmith

Post by zygotemrsmith »

It is just the OEM size core, we will see how it does.