Flat Tappet cams & lifters

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Clodey

Flat Tappet cams & lifters

Post by Clodey »

Hi,
I am new here (1 hour ago), so, please be patient with my request.
I own various Harley Davidson (alloy) XLH Sportsters.
These have always run Roller Cams & Lifters of variuos diameters over the ages.
Does anyone know of any history of Flat tappet conversions to; Any HD or Sporty?
I am thinking of re-aligning the lifters, with the associated headaches, but thought i would ask for any information around.
I live in Sydney, Australia, so i am out of the main stream for this topic!
Regards,
Clodey.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Flat Tappet cams & lifters

Post by PackardV8 »

First, welcome to the forum. We're patient with new members.

In the most friendly of responses, of all the questionable-out-of-the-mainstream ideas we've seen lately, this is right down under there. Can you prove you're not AI gone rogue? Not AI hallucinating?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Clodey

Post by Clodey »

Ha, Ha, thank you. I do like the lift options with flat lifters, and just seeking anybody's else's trails, experiences, if at all ! Ask, talk, do your sums, & read, before you machine, is my mantra!
Clodey

Post by Clodey »

Hi Jack, Can you help, & or point me in the right direction please? I contacted Beverly re; The Horsepower Chain, book, & she won't post to Australia.
She recommended that i contact site admin, are you that? I searched for; Site Administration & a page full of people came up. regards, Clodey.
gordon
HotPass
HotPass

Post by gordon »

Contact Andrews cams . Memory says they make FT for H-D
Clodey

Post by Clodey »

Hi Gordon,
Just for your reference; i received a reply from Andrews about my Inquiry Flat tappets/Cams (if ever or current)> The reply was, No! for both! Short & sweet. Thanks & Regards, Clodey.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Some use a roller hyd. lifter and I have been told that there is some GM factory roller lifters that sub in place of the HD lifters.
I would contact Johnson lifters ( not Hy-lift Johnson ) as they produce a high end roller lifter and I am told that have restarted production on FT stuff for solid lifter applications.
I just got a set of .875 solids for a sm blk project and chatted with them for a short time about there FT stuff.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Why would you revert from a superior design???? HD started using roller lifters in 1929. Waaaay ahead of the pack. And not just roller, but needle roller......
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Noisy is the complaints I hear. I see HD heads from time to time and the valve train parts on some new replacement heads just seem to float around over the guides also causing noise.

But I am told by the local HD guys the GM lifter is much better then the HD lifter.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Clodey

Post by Clodey »

Good Morning (my time) Guru, Thank you, all information greatly appreciated. Regards, Clodey.
Clodey

Post by Clodey »

Hi Geoff2, My interest is in information. As you should know, there are geometry advantages with flat to roller in early lift applications. In the HD alloy Sportster situation the design was compromised (in my view) for low noise, without getting into the nitty gritty! (Lifter angle, gear tooth form, bushes instead of needle rollers).That's why S&S Competition cases reverted back to the earlier 4 speed design cam chest (not flat tappets though).