Jesel or T&D?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

fabr
Expert
Expert
Re: Jesel or T&D?

Post by fabr »

408 Nova wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:14 pm T&D told me to measure to the tip of the valve stems to the surface of where the stands bolt down to get a good height. Jesel hasn't said anything about that yet, lol.

By next week I'll know because I'm gonna order something from one of those companies.
Jesel told me that the various cup teams would make small changes in valve angles and spacing/placement and if I wanted it "right" the only way to be sure was to send them the head. I am not sorry I did it other than the additional lead time and freight cost.
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

bob460 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:04 pm Which ever one you choose, put a steel rocker on the exhaust side..........you will thank me later.
FWIW I would go steel especially with those ratios. It was approx $1000 -$1500 extra for the steel vs aluminum. Money well spent IMO. I'm done with aluminum rockers.At some point the risk vs money saved is just not worth the chance.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

Jesel and T&D have used different fulcrum heights for the same lift. Don't know for your application, but who's geometry would you prefer to go with.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
Dave B
Pro
Pro

Post by Dave B »

We have had less trouble with jesel at 9k plus rpm. I have worked with Sheldon several times on projects also over the years. On T&D behalf if they do make a mistake its easier to get them to fix it than jesel. Just my findings. I'm sure others have saw other results. We use non adjuster rockers all the time and I make my own stands. I'm working on 10500 rpm 380 ls right now that will have 2.0 ratio steel non adjustable T&D rockers. The projects I work on now are past alum rockers on either side imo.
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

APD Carbs are starting to make some nice rockers, only BBC at the moment, but will expand over time.
Dave B
Pro
Pro

Post by Dave B »

I'm going to look at their prods soon Bob 460. Very nice people to do business with @APD .
Also to Op on 9k plus rpm engines, do not cut corners on valves ,locks , springs and rockers. 700.00 is nothing if it stays together. Just finish 5.3 bs hemi. The valves were 7k. Never thought I would see day that pair of heads, valves ,retainers, locks and rockers would top 60k. I can't believe anyone wants to do this anymore. I worked with 500 pro stock guy in the 90s . He paid 32 k for heads and manifold and carbs and was going nuts.
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

spring.PNG
Why such a large diameter strong spring?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

Has anyone used/had experience with Manton (pushrod guys) shaft rockers?
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

123.PNG
Steve Morris uses them for his Pro-Mod billet engines...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave B
Pro
Pro

Post by Dave B »

fabr wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:53 am Has anyone used/had experience with Manton (pushrod guys) shaft rockers?
Great company and prods too. Know guys that have and are working for them.
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

Jesel.PNG
One other thing worth mentioning is that Jesel's geometry seems to make more sense. I'm not sure how the others set their rocker geometry.
408 Nova
Pro
Pro

Post by 408 Nova »

stealth wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:41 am spring.PNG

Why such a large diameter strong spring?
Chad Speier ported the heads for me on the intakes only and assembled them afterwards. This was during the height of Corona and it was very hard to find any parts at all. This was probably all he could find at the time that would work with what I was doing.