battery tech

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

battery tech

Post by prairiehotrodder »

I'm trying to do everything i can to get my new race car down to the weight of my old car that i crashed. So when i show up at the track in theory it should run at least the same speed. This new car has a few things that add weight and a few things that are lighter but it ended up being about 53 pounds heavier than the old car but i hadn't weighed the old car since i had installed a few things either. In reality i think i'm about 30 pounds from when i last went down the track. One way to get rid of weight is with a lightweight battery. I can't go lithium because most of them are to much money and they won't even ship to me. Can anyone suggest a lighter battery that will still start a big motor ? I have been using the red top optima but they are about 38 pounds and they don't seem to last that long.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Re: battery tech

Post by allencr267 »

https://varleyredtop.com
Way more then you need or want to pay for.
Gotta snow machine/blower or lawn mower one around or can borrow, just to try out & see what it'll do?
Setup car with a quick connect plug for a jump when it isn't happy starting.
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:25 pm I'm trying to do everything i can to get my new race car down to the weight of my old car that i crashed. So when i show up at the track in theory it should run at least the same speed. This new car has a few things that add weight and a few things that are lighter but it ended up being about 53 pounds heavier than the old car but i hadn't weighed the old car since i had installed a few things either. In reality i think i'm about 30 pounds from when i last went down the track. One way to get rid of weight is with a lightweight battery. I can't go lithium because most of them are to much money and they won't even ship to me. Can anyone suggest a lighter battery that will still start a big motor ? I have been using the red top optima but they are about 38 pounds and they don't seem to last that long.
Braille sell a AGM battery, similar to the optima red top battery and only weigh 18 pounds for around $260.

Have a look at their website to find what suits your build.
DracerX

Post by DracerX »

allencr267 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:01 pm https://varleyredtop.com
Way more then you need or want to pay for.
Gotta snow machine/blower or lawn mower one around or can borrow, just to try out & see what it'll do?
Setup car with a quick connect plug for a jump when it isn't happy starting.
Those look very similar to the old Holley Annihilator batteries.
BobbyB
Pro
Pro

Post by BobbyB »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:25 pm I'm trying to do everything i can to get my new race car down to the weight of my old car that i crashed. So when i show up at the track in theory it should run at least the same speed. This new car has a few things that add weight and a few things that are lighter but it ended up being about 53 pounds heavier than the old car but i hadn't weighed the old car since i had installed a few things either. In reality i think i'm about 30 pounds from when i last went down the track. One way to get rid of weight is with a lightweight battery. I can't go lithium because most of them are to much money and they won't even ship to me. Can anyone suggest a lighter battery that will still start a big motor ? I have been using the red top optima but they are about 38 pounds and they don't seem to last that long.
I put an Optima yellow top Mazda Miata battery in my hot rod with 10.4 to 1 347 ford in 2014. Zero trouble, still working great. 24 pounds if I remember correctly. Mounted in trunk at a goofy angle.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

I talked to Kenny from "total power" batteries. He educated me quite a bit. There was alot I didn't know. Seems my car likely needs a bigger heavier battery rather than smaller. Its sure is nice to bump into people once in awhile who are willing to take the time to teach you something.

Brian
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

Do tell... what are the factors...
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

electric fuel pump
electric water pump
MSd ignition
electric fan
trans brake
line lok
starting the engine 5 or 6 times before getting to the starting line
and the alternator only charging for a short times as i go down the track because the RPM needs to be up, especially with my small dia. crank pulley.

so all these things draining the battery and me not re-charging it between rounds, plus running the cooling fan and water pump occasionally to cool the engine without it running.

apparently there is no magic smaller (lighter) batteries besides lithium for big dollars.
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

battery.PNG
Be interesting to try this one....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

stealth wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:56 pm battery.PNG

Be interesting to try this one....6.6 lbs should shed some weight...
408swinger
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 408swinger »

Why not get 2 smaller batteries and charge one while running the other . Just keep swapping them .
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick! »

A lot of drag cars, including my brother, use 16v batteries, whether AGM or LiFePo. AGMs in my experience, are not light, in fact they can be heavier than FLA batteries. Pick your poison in the link below.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/par ... volts/16-v