Anyone been able to reach Isky Cams lately?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

JC565Ford
Expert
Expert
Re: Anyone been able to reach Isky Cams lately?

Post by JC565Ford »

Tobias Aldrete wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:55 pm
So weeks later a guy comes in asking about building the same engine with the small cam 408W for his truck. Shows me the Windsor he just picked up and says he needs all of the components to build the same engine. I ask if he needs us to build it or if he just wants the parts and machine work? Hos reply which I will never forget “No, I just need a parts list so I can find them cheaper”. So I verify, “So you just need a parts list”? He says “Yes, just a list” I then ask him for $500 to complete a list and he scoffs. I tell him to pound sand as I can’t pay my bills by working for free.

I have more stories but don’t want to bore, you can’t make everyone happy. I prefer to call and leave a voicemail or send email but actually talk to someone knowledgeable about the products vs phone fillers who just put you on hold but everyone is different, I never did like Bud Light.
And that idiot probably walked away thinking you were the problem.
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

Pretty much everyone faces the same problems, especially if you're a limited operation or one man band ...... talking as a machinist/builder

Initial contact I'm happy to take over the phone, it's more personable and many potential customers feel happier talking to the organ grinder ...... although this often comes after a text or email generated by an online lead ...... personal referrals usually come in this way anyway

Interestingly I think the phone call is often an indication of intent as I get a fair few messages that go nowhere otherwise, especially from 'younger' people

If it seems to be serious, or get's technical, it has to progress by email, if nothing else to create a paper trail, as does any variation to the spec if it's a more substantial job ........ prevents the 'you said, he said' situation

Email ...... it has to be detailed ...... tends to put some of the 'pressure' back on the customer also to invest some time in outlining their needs, so you're reasonably confident they're not just shooting the breeze, or picking you brains

It's at this point you can usually gauge how serious the enquiry is, as usually I don't give specific parts numbers out yet ....... parts retailers themselves don't get this luxury ...... and genuine customers will usually accept this

'Filtering' is the knack though and can't be taught, it has to be acquired and I'd guess as most in this trade would not class themselves as primarily 'salesmen', are not as clinical separating the wheat from the chaff as they might be

But we all get caught out, and the cost gets ameliorated, which is generally the industry way
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

Same thing Toby.

Did a detailed quote for a guy, from top to bottom who then sent me an Email saying he purchased all the items elsewhere and then asked for the camshaft specs I was planning to use. A new crop of "ask"holes in the making.

My retirement plan and living all year at my beach house is looking better every day.
"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
Tartilla

Post by Tartilla »

Tom Walker wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:08 am Many of us old school guys are "no phone number, no business.
I also respect the business owners wishes, if they only communicate through e-mails, OK by me, I am still able to accomplish what I want to do with business owners who still have customer service and a phone number.
I know the world has changed, I choose to associate with the group that actually wants to talk to another human being!
Effective communication for any business is the key to success and effective service and happy customers.

Even more important for small business.

Best practice is to follow up email comms with a call, or an email with verbal comms.

Easy to triage the actual customers that are actively engaging with work/service etc.

Lots can be missed with text and email.

Verbal often misses the points or details get muddled...email follow up creates confirmation.

Leadership is communication.
Tom Walker
Pro
Pro

Post by Tom Walker »

Tartilla, very well written and thought out in my opinion.
If more business owners and customers could agree to operate as you discribed, what a great and profitable relationship for the business and what a satisfying experience for the customer.
A win for all involved.
Tobias Aldrete

Post by Tobias Aldrete »

EDC wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:03 am Same thing Toby.

Did a detailed quote for a guy, from top to bottom who then sent me an Email saying he purchased all the items elsewhere and then asked for the camshaft specs I was planning to use. A new crop of "ask"holes in the making.

My retirement plan and living all year at my beach house is looking better every day.
That’s the reason I put description and no part numbers on quotes, Mark hates that it’s all “Custom” but if they are paying customers, all gets updated on sales order.

Ed, we talk ever few weeks about how retail guys complain about getting shitty service and advice from warehouses but they are quick to go back to them after getting info from builders. And those are not customers but time wasters who are on Facebook getting advice from everyone and end up with a clusterf*ck of parts in their engines.

I think Tartilla is missing the point-The Communication is there, that’s why these individuals call to pick our Brain. They can’t call up a warehouse with the cheapest prices and ask about valve jobs, compression ratios, spring pressures, RPM ranges, etc so they call knowledgeable people like those on this board and want quotes-For free information.

Got another story, Did a quite for complete LS engine build which takes about 2-3 hours of my time for every custom build. So about a week later I am a couple of miles away picking up bearings we don’t stock at another machine shop-I will not say any names but this shop has a bad reputation but cheap prices. Guy is inline with paperwork in his hand and I recognize the layout and see my name, my quote, first thing he asks is if the owner can beat that price. Engines are expensive but it’s more expensive to do it twice, not to mention the details of proper block work and assembly.

Anybody who has dealt with us seems pretty happy and they even have my cell because I can’t sit be behind a computer but if I get people like the ones I or Ed have described, they get ignored in the future.
BCjohnny
Guru
Guru

Post by BCjohnny »

I think it's understandable to debate the nuts & bolts ....... sequence even ...... of the process, but it's really what works for you

It seems as the main bugbear is when people lose control of the process to the customer, that's when it get's annoying, and you have to aim not to allow that to happen whatever, but it can be a constant battle of whits, lol

And it's all yo easy to take it personally ....... I know I used to be guilty of this ...... when in reality it's just business