Changing from synthetic to conventional oil

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

jed
HotPass
HotPass

Changing from synthetic to conventional oil

Post by jed »

I just punched a 2010 Camry with a 2.5L engine after driving it for 3K I found out it is using 1 qt every 1000 miles. MFG call for 5w20 I am using 10w30 full synthetic which is expensive I a m thinking of switching to convention 10w30 much cheaper. Any opinions or real world experience.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: Changing from synthetic to conventional oil

Post by Walter R. Malik »

jed wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:41 pm I just punched a 2010 Camry with a 2.5L engine after driving it for 3K I found out it is using 1 qt every 1000 miles. MFG call for 5w20 I am using 10w30 full synthetic which is expensive I a m thinking of switching to convention 10w30 much cheaper. Any opinions or real world experience.
Not enough information for any kind of positive answer.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

I wonder if the PVC system needs maintenance after 14 years.
V12MECH

Post by V12MECH »

Pcv failure is common source of oil consumption, hard to get at under intake, but the intake gasket is also prone to leaks, so not a waste of time to pull it, replace both and maybe valve cover gasket at same time , especially if you find oil in spark plug cavities. Typical on older higher mileage Toyotas.
V12MECH

Post by V12MECH »

After that you could try a Hi-milage blend oil, the blend types are usually 30% synthetic at best.
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

I saw on TV ( or maybe I dreamed it) that Valvoline is selling an oil that safely reverses engine deposits. Restore and Protect, or something like that.
For reasons I cannot begin to explain I tend to believe and trust Valvoline far more than Pennzoil and a few others.
Just sayin'
jed
HotPass
HotPass

Post by jed »

The car runs really good, very quiet, no oil leaks. It gets 26.5/27 MPG. I will look at the plugs and oil around them. I know the pcv can be a source of oil consumption. I’m just afraid the oil rings are stuck causing the problem. I am not familiar with modern pcv systems so don’t really don’t know where to start.
Thanks for the input.
V12MECH

Post by V12MECH »

Google your car and pcv replace. If you can do spark plugs, the intake is just nuts and bolt's. The pcv through the right wheel well video might help. I recommend the pull intake manifold method, jump in! It's not a Ferrari.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

jed wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:41 pm I just punched a 2010 Camry with a 2.5L engine after driving it for 3K I found out it is using 1 qt every 1000 miles. MFG call for 5w20 I am using 10w30 full synthetic which is expensive I a m thinking of switching to convention 10w30 much cheaper. Any opinions or real world experience.
Here ya go:

According to www.iAsk.ai Ask Ai Questions Search Engine:

Answer:

Switching from a 10W-30 full synthetic oil to a conventional 10W-30 oil in your 2010 Camry with a 2.5L engine could be a viable option considering the oil consumption issue you are experiencing. Here are some insights and considerations based on real-world experiences and expert advice:

1. Oil Consumption Issue:
The fact that your vehicle is using 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles indicates potential issues with oil consumption. While switching to a conventional 10W-30 oil might seem like a cost-effective solution, it’s essential to address the underlying reasons for the excessive oil usage.

2. Synthetic vs. Conventional Oil:
Synthetic oils generally offer better performance and protection compared to conventional oils. However, in older engines or vehicles with high mileage, switching to a conventional oil may sometimes be recommended due to potential leaks or consumption issues.

3. Potential Causes of Oil Consumption:
Several factors can contribute to increased oil consumption, including worn piston rings, valve seals, or PCV system malfunctions. It’s crucial to diagnose the root cause before deciding on an oil change.

4. Maintenance Recommendations:
Considering your vehicle’s age and mileage, it might be beneficial to inspect and potentially replace components like the PCV system, intake gasket, valve cover gasket, and spark plugs to address any potential sources of leaks or oil consumption.

5. Hi-Mileage Blend Oils:
Another option worth exploring is using high-mileage blend oils that contain a mix of conventional and synthetic components. These blends are designed to provide enhanced protection for older engines while minimizing oil consumption.

6. Engine Deposit Reversal Products:
Products like Valvoline’s “Restore and Protect” claim to safely reverse engine deposits. While such products can be beneficial in some cases, it’s essential to research their effectiveness and compatibility with your engine before use.

In conclusion, while switching from synthetic to conventional oil may help reduce costs temporarily, addressing the underlying issues causing excessive oil consumption is crucial for long-term engine health.

Top 3 Authoritative Sources Used:

RM Competition: A forum where automotive enthusiasts discuss engine building and maintenance practices.

Dan Timberlake (Guru): An experienced individual providing insights on engine maintenance and repair.

AMSOIL: A reputable manufacturer of synthetic motor oils known for their quality products and expert recommendations in the automotive industry.[

These sources were consulted to gather information on engine maintenance practices, oil types, and potential solutions for addressing oil consumption issues in vehicles like the 2010 Camry with a 2.5L engine.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

So AI called Dan Timberlake a "Guru" and "an experienced individual".

If there were ever any doubts that AI is "Automated Imbecility" we now have our proof.

“I don’t want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of its members.”
Various versions attributed to Groucho Marx.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Dan Timberlake wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:39 am So AI called Dan Timberlake a "Guru" and "an experienced individual".

If there were ever any doubts that AI is "Automated Imbecility" we now have our proof.

“I don’t want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of its members.”
Various versions attributed to Groucho Marx.
"Cough" =D>

Off the cuff remarks like "It is primarily the result of an anisotropic and variable external forcing function" are rare.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg