Surface roughess on valve seats

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

HBlom

Surface roughess on valve seats

Post by HBlom »

Good day, I'm wondering if there are accepted values for seats and if they change for a steel vs bronse seat and froma stainless to Ti valve? I know usually you will have a finer stone to grind the Ti valves than stainless...and assume it's not a bad thing to use the fine stone on the stainless valve. Single point carbide seat cutting would give a very fine Ra, so wondering how this compares to grinding with a stone or diamond or lapping...Has anybody ever put a profilometer on thier valve seats or valve face ?
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: Surface roughess on valve seats

Post by Walter R. Malik »

HBlom wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:01 am Good day, I'm wondering if there are accepted values for seats and if they change for a steel vs bronse seat and froma stainless to Ti valve? I know usually you will have a finer stone to grind the Ti valves than stainless...and assume it's not a bad thing to use the fine stone on the stainless valve. Single point carbide seat cutting would give a very fine Ra, so wondering how this compares to grinding with a stone or diamond or lapping...Has anybody ever put a profilometer on thier valve seats or valve face ?
A beautiful looking seat from a cutter which is not totally level will not seal as well as a slightly rougher seat from a grinder with a stone.

Being perfectly flat and round are the most important for sealing.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
HBlom

Post by HBlom »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:53 am
HBlom wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:01 am Good day, I'm wondering if there are accepted values for seats and if they change for a steel vs bronse seat and froma stainless to Ti valve? I know usually you will have a finer stone to grind the Ti valves than stainless...and assume it's not a bad thing to use the fine stone on the stainless valve. Single point carbide seat cutting would give a very fine Ra, so wondering how this compares to grinding with a stone or diamond or lapping...Has anybody ever put a profilometer on thier valve seats or valve face ?
A beautiful looking seat from a cutter which is not totally level will not seal as well as a slightly rougher seat from a grinder with a stone.

Being perfectly flat and round are the most important for sealing.
100% Agree Walter. Flatness and concentricity are key to a good seal with surface finish coming in 3rd. I guess one just wants it as fine a finish as possible, I was just hoping for a number as I'm looking at some diamond honing tools that could cross over as valve seat tools and can choose my grit.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

A pitted concentric seat and or valve will seal until it’s run enough to burn through, a gorgeous new non concentric seat ….well you know!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
HBlom

Post by HBlom »

mag2555 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:12 pm A pitted concentric seat and or valve will seal until it’s run enough to burn through, a gorgeous new non concentric seat ….well you know!
It will eventually break the head off the valve as it bends every time it seats in worse case or best case it wears out your guide and valve stem at a prodigeous rate.