Deutsch Connector Tips

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

dannobee
Expert
Expert
Re: Deutsch Connector Tips

Post by dannobee »

If you're crimping the open barrel terminals, the Aptiv/Delphi/Kent Moore 12085271's are the crimpers that you want. Accept no substitute. I learned my lesson decades ago.

https://www.tti.com/content/ttiinc/en/a ... d_source=1
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

Thanks!
I'm familiar with that crimper although I have a very generic Grote model.
Now regarding the Aptiv/Delphi crimper, it still looks to be one crimp cycle for the electrical connection and another for the strain relief crimp on the insulation.
Is that right?
How is it suited to different insulation types?
I'm been using MTW/TEW generally (as I have an abundance for my industrial electrical installations) although I'm aware of the other properties an automotive specific wire is supposed to have (as in flame spread and toxicity).
Kevin
chimpvalet
Pro
Pro

Post by chimpvalet »

That Aptiv/Delphi looks much like the German tool I've got on loan, and that does a good job except when working with the lighter gauge wire when it is necessary to further crimp using a cheap stripper/crimper in order to make a secure connection. Likely the tool should have a different sized anvil for this. Yes, it is a 2-step process in which the connector clasps the insulation with tabs crimped for the purpose.

Cheers
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

chimpvalet wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:43 pm ...it is necessary to further crimp using a cheap stripper/crimper in order to make a secure connection.
That's the part that's irritating.
One thing of note here that may be relevant and that's a discussion I had with an engineer that was going through exactly what we're going through (cars were his hobby and not his engineering specialty).
He mentioned that in conversation with one of the crimp manufacturers, he was told that the majority of the crimpers out there are what's called "service" grade. That is, they're designed to do an average job on a broad range of manufacturer's crimps. My beater Grote crimper for example. If you want the best, you need a manufacturer specific tool that's designed to do a perfect job on a select brand. At a significant increase in tool cost I should add. I can dig up that particular conversation if anyone wants further clarity.
For me, I'll persevere with what I have although the crimper that dannobee posted for the closed barrel crimps might be on my order list soon.
dannobee wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:09 am If you're crimping the open barrel terminals, the Aptiv/Delphi/Kent Moore 12085271's are the crimpers that you want. Accept no substitute. I learned my lesson decades ago.

https://www.tti.com/content/ttiinc/en/a ... d_source=1
Kevin
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

I know early on (in the 80's), I was intimidated by the high prices of the Kent Moore crimpers. The dealership(s) that I worked at had a plethora of different K-M crimpers available for various terminals, but like many mechanics, I wanted my own. I tried a bunch of different pairs of name brand crimpers, only to keep coming back to the K-M crimpers. The others simply didn't leave the crimps as secure or as pretty. No two step processes, no "wings" hanging out, no off centered looking crimps. Perfect every time.

The Aptiv/Delphi/Kent Moore crimpers that I listed are the ones used for every day crimping, but they do have others that crimp both the stripped wire and strain relief in one operation. And others that crimp both the stripped wire and the weather seal in one operation. You just need to look through the catalog to find them. But again, not cheap, but they do work fantastic. Like I said, lesson learned. Buy once, cry once.