Filling Ports on 351c Torker Intake

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Re: Filling Ports on 351c Torker Intake

Post by RW TECH »

I don't think the 351C 4V Torker is too bad, considering I ran 10:5x @ 126 MPH with an unmodified Torker in my 3400 lb 1967 Cougar back in 1988.

Eventually I filled the intake ports in the heads & ran a unmodified C302B-style intake, and it went 10:09 @ 134 MPH, with 399 CID vs 358 CID before.
Black_Sunshine

Post by Black_Sunshine »

Joe-71 wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:52 pm I have worked the Cleveland Torker a couple of ways. Filled the bottom and tapered it into the ports which worked fairly well, and welded a divider in the center to create two separate planes. Terrible results! Removed the divider, and added epoxy back into the floor and tapered it into the runners. Definitely stake the ports before adding epoxy on that intake. If those heads flow near 400 cfm, then the Torker is not the intake of choice even though it will work with lots of effort and epoxy. Some things just are not worth the trouble just because you can do it. I agree with Speier with most of those steps except I use a pair of nitrile gloves that are tight fitting just for that purpose. Joe-71
AFD advertises 330 @.700 for these heads, so I've got some margiin to 400. Is 400 what you consider the limit for the torker? If there's a better intake with ports that match these heads and will package, I'd certainly consider it. I haven't located anything that doesn't require port filling.

For staking, it sounds like holes would be a dual purpose way to give the epoxy something to grab? I'm thinking you'd be able to see if filler was coming loose...hopefully before disaster strikes?
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

Staking requires drilling a small hole, tapping the hole for threads, and installing a short set screw, or machine screw with a small head that will be covered in the epoxy and not let the epoxy move. For a 330 cfm head, the intake needs to flow at least 395-400 cfm for a race engine. The Torker can flow much more than 400 cfm with the bigger 4V port size. Adding epoxy to the floor to match the heads will drop that down some, but increase the velocity. Joe-71
Joe-71
Black_Sunshine

Post by Black_Sunshine »

Joe-71 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:45 pm Staking requires drilling a small hole, tapping the hole for threads, and installing a short set screw, or machine screw with a small head that will be covered in the epoxy and not let the epoxy move. For a 330 cfm head, the intake needs to flow at least 395-400 cfm for a race engine. The Torker can flow much more than 400 cfm with the bigger 4V port size. Adding epoxy to the floor to match the heads will drop that down some, but increase the velocity. Joe-71
What's the recommended way to lock the setscrew into the intake? What about using a short cap screw and torquing it in place?
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

The epoxy will lock the set screw in place, and the set screw will lock the epoxy in place. win, win.
Joe-71