SS Braided Line

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

fabr
Expert
Expert
SS Braided Line

Post by fabr »

Dry sump scavenge and pressure lines. Who offers the most flexible,tight radius line ? I'd prefer something I can assemble but the common brands are not as flexible as I would like for a space limited car. I got a second hand nascar pump with lines on an engine that I bought once upon a time and those lines were like wet noodles . Exposed braiding of noticibly finer wire and much more flexible/tight radius . Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
fabr
Expert
Expert
Re: SS Braided Line

Post by fabr »

If these are suction rated maybe this is the way to go but I do not like the +/- 1/2" length tolerance.
https://www.anplumbing.com/12-st-st-xrp ... -assy.html
2" bend radius. I assume that is center line radius but I'm checking on that.
Dragsinger
Expert
Expert

Post by Dragsinger »

Check into the 'Startlite" hose by Aeroquip [other companies have a similar product] It is sooo much easier to work with and completely acceptable for oil lines.
Larry Woodfin - Team Woodfin Racing - Owner, Woodfin Automotive
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

BMRS, super light but comes pre made to your measurements.
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

Racer71 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:45 pm BMRS, super light but comes pre made to your measurements.
That is the name I could not remember. Thanks. I'll compare the prices. I think the xrp stuff is equal to the BMRS hose as far as bend radius.
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

Dragsinger wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:41 pm Check into the 'Startlite" hose by Aeroquip [other companies have a similar product] It is sooo much easier to work with and completely acceptable for oil lines.
4.5 inch bend radius compared to the BMRS and xrp proplus with a 2" bend radius.
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

The BMRS hose that I have seen in a -12 is a bit more easily bent to a minimum radius compared to the xrp proplus. Either will work well for me. Thanks for the replies.
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

It seems like the BMRS hose assemblies are +/- 1/2" as well.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Brown and Miller or XRP, all the rest is crap.
donclark

Post by donclark »

Earl's makes an insert spring to put in the line to keep it from collapsing when bending a tight radius. Looks kinda hokie but it works, used it many times on my dry sump system.
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

That internal spring increases the minimum bend radius.
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

Warp Speed wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:12 am Brown and Miller or XRP, all the rest is crap.
I'd have to agree.
Dragsinger
Expert
Expert

Post by Dragsinger »

My experience shows that the Aeroquip Startlite hose is a quality product as are the Aeroquip fittings and hardware. While I understand that Brown and Miller and XRP are also quality products, I disagree that "all other products are junk" I have built several sets of remote oil filter lines with the Aeroquip Startlite hose, all with excellent service. In addition, being able to reuse the fittings is a plus and money saver.
Larry Woodfin - Team Woodfin Racing - Owner, Woodfin Automotive
billet
Pro
Pro

Post by billet »

I want to add a foot note here on Lines:

Be careful about where you get your hose and check that it is indeed what your ordered!!!!!

There are many BIG companies that you order say aeroquip hose in a bulk length and you will get charged and invoiced for aeroquip but get some substitute.

I went thru this and had a scavage line collapse 18 months ago, luckily I caught it before any damage was done. When back and forth with aeroquip to identify the hose and it was not theirs. I went back and check other hoses I had made (multiple orders at different times) and about 50% of it was NOT AEROQUIP hose.
fabr
Expert
Expert

Post by fabr »

I am not interested in any hose,no matter the quality,with a 4.5" or more minimum bend radius in a -12 for my needs. So far ,all I have found are the XRP Proplus and the Brown and Miller/BMRS with tighter bend radiuses of 2".in a size-12. The XRP proplus has reusable fittings as well as crimp on. After using these hoses I will never go back to any of the quality /stiffer/larger bend radiuses . These extra flexible hoses are a pleasure to use. They are just a bit more $$ but well worth it. IMO