wheelie bars

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

wheelie bars

Post by prairiehotrodder »

whats your experience with wheelie bars ? I think i want to put them on my new car. My last car was unpredictable as to when it may do a giant wheelstand. I can get chassis engineering or competition engineering. For a 78 malibu likely running low 9's. I've never use wheelie bars before.
Thankyou
Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
miniv8
Expert
Expert

Re: wheelie bars

Post by miniv8 »

After an expensive landing we put a wheelie bar on ours.
It is a ladder bar car. It took a lot of passes until we got consistent again, mainly as we underestimated how ridiculously high it has to be to not upset the car too much, as it is such long and stiff bar on a street chassis.

That being said, every car is different, and I dont think theres a guide that applys across the board.

A little flex in the wheelie bar can be a good thing on a low power car but can bounce back or spring out of control and fold with more power. Adjustability of left and right wheel height or off centering of a single wheel bar is neccesary to steer the car while on the bars with the front wheels in the air.

Its all about keeping the balance of traction between the left and right tires for the car going straight. Most of the time, it is not equal while riding on the bar.
Magnús Aðalvíkingur Finnbjörnsson
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

I emailed chassis engineering about this and they wanted me to get a long wheelie bar 65-72 inches that requires a "wheelie bar tunnel" in the car. They also suggested adding weigh to to front of the car instead. I'm not to thrilled about either of these ideas. I think i'm coming to the level where a cheaper rearend mounted bar isn't going to cut it. Does anyone know if moving the IC can keep the front end down ?
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick! »

Stock rear suspension and diff? 9" Ford"?
Already have a 4 link?
How handy are you with a welder?
Bolt in arms on a stock rear axle won't give you enough adjustment to make any serious IC movement.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:34 pm Does anyone know if moving the IC can keep the front end down ?
Only if it blows the tires loose.

Lowering the car or front weight will help.
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.