Carb Casting Repair, Zinc Solder?

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

In-Tech
Vendor

Re: Carb Casting Repair, Zinc Solder?

Post by In-Tech »

Hats off to you
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Post by rgalajda »

Proprietary : something that is used, produced, or marketed under exclusive legal right of the inventor or maker. ( sometimes loosely used )

Chromate conversion : The formulations typically contain hexavalent chromium compounds, such as chromates and dichromates.  hexavalent chromate No longer legal in some areas.
Trivalent passivation/conversion coating. Now used to comply with environmental standards. I believe the Caswell system uses this.
There is nothing proprietary about the way I prepare a carb for restoration. I use hexavalent chromate, the same as these carbs were done when new.
Some carburetor parts were zinc plated , some zinc with chromate finish, some parts were black phosphate finish.
I have a local plating company do the finishes, after I prepare the parts ,that has been in business for about 60 years, from father to son. They are very knowledgeable.
It is almost impossible to duplicate the original finish of the castings .
It is very time consuming to restore and correctly calibrate these old carbs. You have to enjoy helping people. I don’t do the internet thing, just word of mouth and car shows.
Below are a few carbs I have done recently. They may be correct, or not.
IMG_20210312_153501.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_secret

Kinda' like what the owner of a particular nearby business experienced when he failed to have his employees sign a non-compete and non-disclosure agreement. He simply trained them to open their own copies of the business. Oddly enough, he had expropriated his knowledge of the business in the same manner. =D>

England in the 1920s: my Grandfather, who worked in a trade* starting at the age of fourteen, related to me how some workers would turn the torch on you lest you learn fine details of soldering castings** and put their continued gainful employment at risk.

* Trade: trade-secret. Get-it? :lol:

** Tying together this technical milieu, right? :wink:
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
rgalajda
Pro
Pro

Post by rgalajda »

I'm not sure what you were trying to get across with the above . Wouldn't it be reasonable to say If you wanna keep trade secrets then don't join the discussion.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

rgalajda wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:37 am I'm not sure what you were trying to get across with the above . Wouldn't it be reasonable to say If you wanna keep trade secrets then don't join the discussion.
Simply that "trade secret" is a more useful term to use than "proprietary"; in my opinion.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/wanna
Interesting to follow the etymology of words and their colloquial usage.

Boy, did I catch hell when in another forum I attempted to describe the aforementioned English worker as "protecting his rice bowl." It triggered an automatic response from the AI agent monitoring postings. What a golden age we live in.

Carry on.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

Nothing is secret, it's just stuff we haven't learnt yet.

Yes, it is a golden age we live amongst now.
smclendon

Post by smclendon »

Contact Muggy Weld.
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

smclendon wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:55 pm Contact Muggy Weld.
AS SEEN ON TV!! Free pair of X-RAY SPECS if you order in the next 20 minutes!

Maybe that stuff works, maybe it's pure magic, but I haven't seen anyone use it for anything other than sponsored promotion type stuff (it seems to be made for doing that more than anything else).
DON'T PANIC