new to me dominator

Post photos/videos of anything* you own - Or, ask to see something.

Moderator: Team

arlancam509
new to me dominator

Post by arlancam509 »

The first time I saw a dominator carburetor, I wanted one. That was probably about 1984 and now 39 years later, I finally have one. It makes me very happy even though I really don’t have a need for it.

I stopped for a minute and thought about who I could share this with. My brother (he’s gone), my best friend in high school (he’s gone), my wife… she thinks it’s nice. Then I remembered the guys on speedtalk. Yeah, they will think this is cool. Here is my new to me dominator that is going in a 1976 Dodge D100 half-ton 2 wheel drive long bed (short beds are silly) truck. The engine is a 496 low deck with a hydraulic roller cam (252/258 @.050) and trick flow heads. The intake manifold is a ‘yet to be 3d printed‘ part designed by me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
° alt+0176 °
1980RS
Guru
Guru
Re: new to me dominator

Post by 1980RS »

It's cool that you have found one, but if you run the Dominator on the street convert it over to a 2 circuit style and it will run so much better.
Tom68
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Tom68 »

What's better than one Dominator ? TWO Dominators.

Ya need another Dominator for that manifold. Or longer tilted runners with the one.

Although I see injector bosses, running the Dominator as a throttle body only ?
Ignorance leads to confidence more often than knowledge does.
Nah, I'm not leaving myself out of the ignorant brigade....at times.
arlancam509

Post by arlancam509 »

1980RS wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:24 am It's cool that you have found one, but if you run the Dominator on the street convert it over to a 2 circuit style and it will run so much better.
The plan is to not run it very long. Eventually i'll be switching over to fuel injection.
° alt+0176 °
arlancam509

Post by arlancam509 »

Tom68 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:32 am What's better than one Dominator ? TWO Dominators.

Ya need another Dominator for that manifold. Or longer tilted runners with the one.

Although I see injector bosses, running the Dominator as a throttle body only ?
2 is always better than 1! :D

My plan is to go to fuel injection eventually and only change the top of the manifold. I'll have to figure out a way to plug the injector holes while I am running the carburetor.
° alt+0176 °
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Hiya,
The only reason to ever switch over to EFI is if you have no clue whatsoever and will pay a good tuner. Or, if starting from scratch. A person needs to understand a carburetor before attempting to tune an efi system. Some better than others(limitations). You have to be able to find the smaller limitation of the carb to be able to fix it with EFI
Being an efi guy, I am not blabbering.
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
arlancam509

Post by arlancam509 »

In-Tech wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:06 am Hiya,
The only reason to ever switch over to EFI is if you have no clue whatsoever and will pay a good tuner. Or, if starting from scratch. A person needs to understand a carburetor before attempting to tune an efi system. Some better than others(limitations). You have to be able to find the smaller limitation of the carb to be able to fix it with EFI
Being an efi guy, I am not blabbering.
Your "only reason to switch" statement is a little confusing to me.

ok, I have read it a few times now and I think I understand. You are saying if a person doesn't understand how to tune a carburetor, then it is ok for them to run EFI and only if they pay a good tuner. I know you don't know me and my history and your advice is good advice and meant to help everyone.

My reason for converting this thing to EFI is because I am lazy. :D

My most reason EFI conversion:
https://youtu.be/DqucoFOCJmA?si=47WlaKs-2PDb28m4

This is a volkswagen with a honda throttle body, GM LS coils, a bunch of other custom stuff fab'd by me, etc etc, blah blah blah.
° alt+0176 °
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Hiya,
Yes, I think you understand me. Most times I can't charge enough to do good carburetor work compared to tappety tap on the laptop and charge more :)
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl