I beam versus H beam rods

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Drew

I beam versus H beam rods

Post by Drew »

I'm having a 383 built that will put out somewhere around 525hp and was wondering which rods to use either Scat I beam 2icr with the 7/16" capscrews or should I go with Scat H beam rods for this power level. Thanks
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Providing the rod cross sectional areas are the same, and the material used is the same, there will be no difference in rod strength in tension or compression.

If, however, the rod is subject to bending forces, then the orientation of the I or H beam becomes an issue. Which way is your rod bending?
black_z
Pro
Pro

Post by black_z »

I have always wondered about the differences (pros/cons) of I vs H beams.
fishman
Expert
Expert

Post by fishman »

i use the scat 60 i beam rods with 7/16 cap screws they r rated to 750 hp and they are less moving mass so in my case like yours it would be worth running them......just my opinion
[IMG]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/fishman1/S7300198-1.jpg[/IMG]
Drew

rods

Post by Drew »

Thats exactly my thinking. Looks like anywhere from 25 to 50 grams lighter per rod.
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Rods

Post by bigjoe1 »

I always use the I beam rods in everything I build, In high HP engines, I use the 7/16 bolts. That works out very well.

JOE SHERMAN RACING ENGINES
Wolfplace
Guru
Guru

Post by Wolfplace »

Another plus is that rod will have a ton of cam clearance, way more than even a stock 400 rod

Mike
Lewis Racing Engines
4axis CNC block machining

A few of the cars I have driven & owned
A tour of my shop
The Dyno
And a few pics of the gang

"Life is tough. Life is even tougher if you're stupid"
John Wayne
TORQUE INC
Pro
Pro

Re: Rods

Post by TORQUE INC »

bigjoe1 wrote:I always use the I beam rods in everything I build, In high HP engines, I use the 7/16 bolts. That works out very well.

Hey there Joe

What brand of I beam rods do you prefer ?

Just curious

John
TORQUE RULES !!!!
Stef
Expert
Expert

Post by Stef »

For N/A engines there is a weight advantage using I-Beam rods. H-Beam are good for high compressive (buckling) loading i.e turbo or supercharged engines. Can't pull as much weight out of them though.
TTV Racing - Race flywheels, clutches, drive shafts and valve guides - over 5000 applications & custom one off's or production runs - made in England.
Suppliers to GT3, LeMans, WRC, Global X-Cross, WTCC, BTCC, F3 and more!
Visit our Instagram Page!
TORQUE INC
Pro
Pro

Post by TORQUE INC »

Steff

I know the difference and I use both styles of rods

Was just wondering what Big Joe used and why.

TI
TORQUE RULES !!!!
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

I beam rods

Post by bigjoe1 »

I do use the SCAT I beams rods about 90 percent of the time. They are made to clear the camshaft better than any of the others out there. I do still grind the rod where the threads of the bolt come through on long strokesThe machine work they do on the rod saves lots of time when you go to assemble the engine. I have only had ONE failure and that waas with a 3/8 bolt iinstead of the 7/16 bolts.

thundair
Post by thundair »

Maybe some will chime in as to what forces and at what direction is it that brakes the rod.

I had the privilege of spending some time with Jack Sparks @ Carrillo and we had this same discussion. It seems inclusions in the metal cause growth or collapse upsetting the symmetry of the rod, that misaligns the crank axis with the wrist pin axis and starts a failure in work.

IMHO a rod body should be a hollow tube still giving the compression and tinsel strength but adding torsional strength for the same weight rod.

I would like to know what the Pros think
Thundair
curl'd

Post by curl'd »

Stef wrote:H-Beam are good for high compressive (buckling) loading i.e turbo or supercharged engines. Can't pull as much weight out of them though.
You might want to double check that. :wink:
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

curl'd wrote:
Stef wrote:H-Beam are good for high compressive (buckling) loading i.e turbo or supercharged engines. Can't pull as much weight out of them though.
You might want to double check that. :wink:

#2 ditto
GURU is only a name.
Adam
2xmod
Pro
Pro

Post by 2xmod »

I have 3 seasons dirt track racing on a set of scat 60 i beam with 7/16 cap screws. They are in a 13:1 6 inch 355. I turn in 7800 all the time. Thats almost unbelievable for a $250 set of rods. :shock: