engine oil recommendations when using alcohol for fuel

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CIGARETTEDFL

engine oil recommendations when using alcohol for fuel

Post by CIGARETTEDFL »

I am switching over from gas to alcohol this year, and have always ran Mobil One 15w50 in my sbc drag motor. Is it correct that I should not run a synthetic base oil?
It was recommended to use Brad Penn or Schaffers micro moly oil 20w50
whats your recommendations?
rskrause
Expert
Expert

Post by rskrause »

Brad Penn, IMO.

Richard
369dragster

Post by 369dragster »

I use Valvoline VR-1 20/50 Racing oil,I have never had a problem with this oil. Ken
s/c 266
Pro
Pro

Post by s/c 266 »

I like the Schaeffer's Micron Moly way better than Brad Penn and I have tested both. If you have deep pockets, the Royal Purple XRP is way better than the others.

Consider a thinner oil like straight 30 or 40 or 10W-40
Paul
Adv Et Dragracer
Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

oil

Post by Adger Smith »

Pick an oil that is designed to mix or can mix with the Alky. Mobile 1 doesn't. Run a little thicker than most tell you. Remember you ARE going to mix alky with the oil & you ARE going to load the bearings more trying to compress more liquid in the cylinders. Disregard the above statements if you get the first time perfect tuneup or are the one in a hunderd that can tune alky.
Last edited by Adger Smith on Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adger Smith
Adger Smith Performance Engines
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
adgersperf@aol.com e-mail
rskrause
Expert
Expert

Post by rskrause »

s/c 266 wrote:I like the Schaeffer's Micron Moly way better than Brad Penn and I have tested both. If you have deep pockets, the Royal Purple XRP is way better than the others.

What was the nature of the test?

Richard
af2
Guru
Guru

Re: oil

Post by af2 »

Adger Smith wrote:Pick an oil that is designed to mix or can mix with the Alky. Mobile 1 doesn't. Run a little thicker than most tell you. Remember you ARE going to mix alky with the oil & you ARE going to load the bearings more trying to compress more liquid in the cylinders. Disregard the above statements if you get the first time perfect tuneup or are the one in a hunderd that can tune alky.
I am glad I am not the only one that has seen a blown alky kill the oil!
There must be more people on this sight that have been there!?
GURU is only a name.
Adam
racecar100
Pro
Pro
the right oil

Post by racecar100 »

I have talked with two oil enginers at great lenghts The Peen Grade 1
and Ce Pen co Are my picks they are made from crude out of Pn. Ohio
and the new England states. This stock has a parifin base Ca and Tx.
has an asphalt base. The parifin give it the sticky feel that does not run off
when the engine is cut off. Then comes the additive package of pollomires
These Oil have the ability to retain the alky in the oil.If the oil does not re-
tain the alky it settles out . Which had you rather run on dulleted oil or pure alky. There is a saying out, that if the can has the circle with the recomed rating like se c4 sm and ect it is not for racing . The blown truck
pullers I know uses loose clearences and 50-70 weight oil. Vavoline and
Joe Gibbs have off road oil that is good but $10.00 a qt. Ps don't for get
to add Klotts uplon fuel lube you won't regret it.
s/c 266
Pro
Pro

Post by s/c 266 »

rskrause wrote:
s/c 266 wrote:I like the Schaeffer's Micron Moly way better than Brad Penn and I have tested both. If you have deep pockets, the Royal Purple XRP is way better than the others.

Richard
I paid for and had lab testing on VIRGIN samples. Blackstone Labs. Then had the data and Blackstone's comments verified by an industry race oil consultant. I also tested VR-1 and it was not too bad for a cheaper local shelf oil..
PS The BP had a few issues that after reviewed forced me to not even use it. Case is still in my shop some place
Paul
Adv Et Dragracer
rskrause
Expert
Expert

Post by rskrause »

s/c 266 wrote:
rskrause wrote:

Richard
I paid for and had lab testing on VIRGIN samples. Blackstone Labs. Then had the data and Blackstone's comments verified by an industry race oil consultant. I also tested VR-1 and it was not too bad for a cheaper local shelf oil..
PS The BP had a few issues that after reviewed forced me to not even use it. Case is still in my shop some place
I am sorry, but I guess I wan't being clear. I was wondering what parameters were measured and how was the testing performed? I am having a hard time "designing" a test to answer the question asked here unless it involved running the oil in a blown alky engine and the doing a teardown and detailed inspection along with an oil analysis. It seems unlikely that someone went to these lengths. My answer, and I suspect most of them posted here, was based on experience, IOW stating what has worked for us. If there is a better basis for deciding, that would realy be useful. It seems that you are speaking of some kind of oil analysis? What did they measure and did it involve used samples from blown alky engines?

Richard
CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

We have been using the CENPECO 50wt oil in our blocwer engines for the last 13 years and these are 1500 horse SBC and during rebuilds the engins look great and even there 15/40 deisel oils are loaded with zick compared to the Rotella T that use to be good!!!
Website is up and running
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/
Machine shop tour
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/shop-tour/
Monthly Specials
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/specials/
55MM babbit cam bearings with 1 hole
Hendrens Racing Engines
Pro
Pro

Post by Hendrens Racing Engines »

We have used Royal purple for over 15 years in all alky applications,for the guys on a tight budget just drain the oil and heat it in a pan to 250 deg.that will remove the water and you can re use the oil.we have some circle track applications where the customer used the oil for a full season,just changed filters every 5 races.
We have used it in blown and turbo applications as well,in my opinion it is one of the best oils for alky out there.Bill
Hendrens Racing Engines
1310 U.S.Hwy 221 North
Rutherfordton North Carolina 28139
828-286-0780
robert1
Guru
Guru

Post by robert1 »

I'm quite sure some scientist will come on and correct me on this but the simple test is to take your oil put it in a clear container with the alky. Shake them up. If it mixes you're better off it it seperates like oil and vinegar don't use it. We always used Kendall gt 50 and I'm told Brad Pen is the same don't know for sure.
Cashflow

Post by Cashflow »

I believe what Paul is referring to is some tests on virgin Brad Penn that showed a higher than normal iron content perhaps meaning that the pipes that carry their product are flaking. You can spend days searching www.bobistheoilguy.com for all kinds of information.

I still love the old Valvoline ad "Motor oil is motor oil"

Good luck with whatever you pick!!
vb

Remember: One day with the top down is better than a lifetime in a box!!
jaker
Post by jaker »

can someone suggest a grade and brand of oil for a 700hp bbc naturally aspirated running on alochol. after only 2 or 3 passes the oil is so milky i have to change it! ive been using castrol 20w50.