16 Volt Battery Upgrade

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

11secAvanti
Pro
Pro

16 Volt Battery Upgrade

Post by 11secAvanti »

My car is set up for dual 12 volt batteries and the engine has an alternator. Would one single 16 volt battery provide voltage and amp coverage? Do the other electronic items (tach, msd, fuel pump, fan, alternator, delay box, etc get hurt or require changes when sourced to a 16 volt battery? I would like to save on the battery weight reduction and possible alternator removal. thanks.
F1Fever
Guru
Guru

Post by F1Fever »

are the batteries parallel or series? ie 12 or 24v? I take it they are parallel 12v, correct? if so what is the combined amperage? and what is the 16v Amperage?
I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.
West Siloam Dispensary
11secAvanti
Pro
Pro

Post by 11secAvanti »

Batteries are wired parallel. Don't know the total amperage. Box is 7A, standard 10 inch fan, 110 EFI Mallory pump, Dedenbear delay, along with 2 step module and rpm switch for standard autometer tach.
F1Fever
Guru
Guru

Post by F1Fever »

I'm surprised nobody has commented. you need to add the amperages together of your two batteries to find where you are at now.

All those items you listed are meant to run at 14.2V, I'd expect that they would handle an extra 2V but can't confirm this. If somebody doesn't tell you i'm sure a call to MSD will.
I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.
West Siloam Dispensary
MDT

Post by MDT »

I run 2 16 volt batt. paralell and have no problems with the MSD, magnafuel 500,tach or other accesories. I did not try it with one battery,but i can tell you with 2 batteries there is plenty of juice.Had car at a track rental 9-10 passes in a half day and I did not break out the battery charger.
You can fix broke...... But you cant fix stupid
Never Under Estimate the Power of Stupidity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xTl5cytNEw
Beretta

Post by Beretta »

I have always used one 12 battery (optima red top) and an alternator..I can also make 10 passes with out a charge...

I have heard the the 16 volt battery's are way over rated..
TopSportsman916

Post by TopSportsman916 »

Beretta wrote:I have always used one 12 battery (optima red top) and an alternator..I can also make 10 passes with out a charge...

You heard wrong. :D
Chris
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

TopSportsman916 wrote:
Beretta wrote:I have always used one 12 battery (optima red top) and an alternator..I can also make 10 passes with out a charge...

Why? Evidence is good.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
TopSportsman916

Post by TopSportsman916 »

af2 wrote:
TopSportsman916 wrote:

Why? Evidence is good.
1. Don't need an altenator
2. Spins starter faster
3. Turns water pump/fans faster
4. Voltage is more consistant

I used to use two 12V batteries. I didn't use an alternator. They had to be charged constantly. By my data logger, my voltage has never dropped below 16.2 V with the Turbostarts. When I look at the data logger graph, battery voltage is a straight line. Even after making 5 back to back 1/4 mile passes w/o charging. This in a car with a delay box, air shifter,throttle stop(at the time),data logger, & V-net gages. The 16V Turbostarts spin my 557 over like its a 2300 Pinto engine. To go to a 16V system initially does cost a little $$ but they are hassle free compared to a 12V system. I would never want to switch back to a 12V system.

So what have you heard that makes you think they are overrated??? :D
Chris
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

TopSportsman916 wrote:
af2 wrote:
TopSportsman916 wrote: You heard wrong. :D
Why? Evidence is good.
1. Don't need an altenator
2. Spins starter faster
3. Turns water pump/fans faster
4. Voltage is more consistant

I used to use two 12V batteries. I didn't use an alternator. They had to be charged constantly. By my data logger, my voltage has never dropped below 16.2 V with the Turbostarts. When I look at the data logger graph, battery voltage is a straight line. Even after making 5 back to back 1/4 mile passes w/o charging. This in a car with a delay box, air shifter,throttle stop(at the time),data logger, & V-net gages. The 16V Turbostarts spin my 557 over like its a 2300 Pinto engine. To go to a 16V system initially does cost a little $$ but they are hassle free compared to a 12V system. I would never want to switch back to a 12V system.

So what have you heard that makes you think they are overrated??? :D
I have never said they were overated! :D You answered my question though. :D Thank you. :D
GURU is only a name.
Adam
MDT

Post by MDT »

A "dead" 16 volt battery will have more volts than a "good" 12 volt battery. Any doubt about the perf. of a 16 volt..... borow a buddies and crank it over.
You can fix broke...... But you cant fix stupid
Never Under Estimate the Power of Stupidity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xTl5cytNEw
rmracing

Post by rmracing »

I think the 16volt batteries are good but I can tell you I run a 12 volt with a alt. it does have a 3inch crank pulley and the alt doesnt take that much power to spin unless you are running some high power alt with stock pulleys . I just did some back to back testing on the dyno 12v with alt v/s 16 volt without alt and the 16 volt was only 1-2 hp better at most on my car . For those results I will keep my 12v and alt and not have to worry about keeping a charger on my car all weekend . It did start faster and had alot brighter lights with the 16volt.
Procision-Auto
Guru
Guru

Post by Procision-Auto »

With an unregulated ignition, the extra voltage could be the difference between
a misfire and a power stroke.

It's a bit tougher on electric motors however. The life span of such items
can be reduced.
Larry Woodfin

Post by Larry Woodfin »

I just installed a 16 volt and my first impression is very good. I spins the engine like crazy!

During the first outing we made seven runs without charging. As an experiment, after the day was over and car was in the trailer, engine still warm from the last run, I spun the engine about 10 seconds and it was just as fast as the first start of the day.

About 30 minutes later before closing the trailer the volt meter showed 15.8.

I like the 16 volt battery and think it's a good upgrade.

Larry Woodfin
11secAvanti
Pro
Pro

Post by 11secAvanti »

How do you charge up the 16 volt battery later? Does it require a special charger purchase too? The feedback has got me leaning toward the 16 volts. So it does not take out the electronics and MSD, right???
What about the delay box? Is it changing the time box time? Thanks.