Holley heli coils float bowl screws, what size tap

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru
Holley heli coils float bowl screws, what size tap

Post by Dodge Freak »

Have a main body with a strip thread, Holley sells both just the heli coils @ Jegs for $23 or a kit, which has the tap, the tool to thread the coil in and the taps for $91. A tap should not cost me $70, well I can thread the coils in without holley high price tool.

What size tap do I need to thread the coils in ? Thought on speedtalk somebody would know, thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Holley-2 ... dZViewItem
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Mcmastercar? The spelling is wrong but the point is correct.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

screw is a 12-24 thread

You need the special Heli-coil tap. The installation tool can be homemade, but you need one.

maybe you need a better price?

http://shopping.msn.com/specs/shp/?itemId=548253696
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru
Post by Dodge Freak »

That price is much better but a 12-24 tap at a good tool shop-which I have near by-should not cost more than $15, maybe $10. I just got a 3/8 tap last month for $7, yes you can buy just 1. Its like a tool and die shop, all the local shops go there but they sell to the public too but it seems like I am the only cash guy ever in there.

Amazon does sell just the heli coils for $13, now I just need something else for $12 to get free shipping, thanks
Ron Golden
Expert
Expert

Taps

Post by Ron Golden »

Holley uses strange bolt sizes on their carbs:
1/4 x 32 jets
3/8 x 32 needle & seat

They taps are usually special order

Ron
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru
Post by Dodge Freak »

I believe it, thats why I thought I ask here. Maybe I am being cheap--I know I am, but $30 is still $30..

But maybe its not a 12-24 tap but some strange one nobody will have, IDK
Ron Golden
Expert
Expert

Post by Ron Golden »

If it's your own carb change the thread to a 1/4 inch. The 12 x 24 is about the same size as the 1/4. Just be sure you always put the bolt in the right hole or put a 1/4 stud in that hole.

Ron
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru
Post by Dodge Freak »

You are good, I have done that before, you need to drill the metering block and fuel bowls out a bit too.

Heck, did it before, guess I do it again. I like using studs but the bowls don't come off easy but I have the quick change bowls.
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

A helicoil tap is larger than the original 12-24 to allow the helicoil to go in. Helicoil taps are a proprietary size for that purpose, not something you can get anywhere else. And 12-24 is an odd size, the reason for the high cost. I have one I bought years ago to repair a Holley and spare coils, if you are near Orlando I would be happy to do it for you. You can check prices from BLP, www.blp.com, or ask them the cost to send your body to have it done. If you have any other major carb shop near you , they could do the same as well. One last possibility, see if a local NAPA can order it cheaper.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
banjo
Expert
Expert

Post by banjo »

You can get the entire install kit at mcmaster for $56. I have this kit for my carb. Search for this part number on the below website, 91732A917
Click on catlog page on the left side of the screen to actually see what you would get.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

I never had much luck with helicoil being a permanent fix in my carb. They would always work there way out. What I did was purchase some 10-32 bolts with these inserts, 94165A431, IMO this is alot more permanent fix, I did my carb about 4 months ago and no issues.

Good luck
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru
Post by Dodge Freak »

That sounds better than tapping to a 1/4, this way any metering block would fit right on with no mods.

Might be getting it form them but I will check to see if my local tool shop has them.

I live near Detroit--was nice until all the auto jobs left town. We still have many tool and die shops around but are hurting, this tool shop I live by is awesome but its a Monday to Friday store, no weekends or evening hours. So I see come Monday, I know how to tap threads no problems, just need the right taps. Sounds great, 10-32, should fit great.

Thanks so much
Greg D

Post by Greg D »

How about $19.99 plus $3.95 shipping for the kit? http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Permacoil-12-24 ... dZViewItem

OR $22.95 Buy it Now with $3.95 shipping for the kit?
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Permacoil-12-24 ... dZViewItem
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Good one Greg!!!!!
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru
Post by Dodge Freak »

Aren't those the thread repair size. Thats way too big, 1/4 inch is even, at .25.

I was asking the tap size to thread the heli coils in to repair it right to the holley screws size.

I am sure they do have 10-32 kits, then all I need is the drill bit and new 10-32 screws the right length.
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru
Post by Dodge Freak »

Last edited by Dodge Freak on Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.