Using solid lifters on a Hydraulic camshaft

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru
Using solid lifters on a Hydraulic camshaft

Post by Dodge Freak »

I seen on another forum that you could use a solid lifter on a camshaft that saids its a Hydraulic cam but not the other way around. Like using a Hydraulic lifter on a cam ground for solid lifters will not work because the ramps are to fast.

Any truth to this or just asking for problems down the road. And if it ok what lash would you use, .015, .20, .25 ?
Cammer
Pro
Pro
Post by Cammer »

This subject has been covered by ST experts.

Please try a search.

A Lion In Winter
Kdub
Pro
Pro

Post by Kdub »

I have been meaning to ask about the same thing but the other way around.

I have hard over the years that you could use hyd. lifters on a solid cam but not solids on an hyd. cam. The reason in the hyd. cam does not have the take up ramps a solid lifter cam has.
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru
Post by Dodge Freak »

Well I tried a search and found not much. Lots of posts but about other camshaft stuff.

Maybe I did not search right ??

I know it be best to use the right cam the first time but for some motors theres far more hyd. cams than solids. For the Mopars I understand one just need not to change anything put just use adjustable rocker arms.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

Here's one but it's roller, I'd think you would lash the same.

viewtopic.php?t=6466&highlight=solid+lifter+hyd+cam
Jim
dgracing
Re: Using solid lifters on a Hydraulic camshaft

Post by dgracing »

Dodge Freak wrote:I seen on another forum that you could use a solid lifter on a camshaft that saids its a Hydraulic cam but not the other way around. Like using a Hydraulic lifter on a cam ground for solid lifters will not work because the ramps are to fast.

Any truth to this or just asking for problems down the road. And if it ok what lash would you use, .015, .20, .25 ?
yes i know a guy that is running like that for couple years but i will try to ask him what is the lash that he used.or maybe there is somebody that will respond to your question direct on this board ,because you ask a very simple question for a guy that is using this combo :evil:
Cammer
Pro
Pro
Post by Cammer »

Do not use solid lifters on a hydraulic lifter camshaft or vice versa.

A Lion In Winter
OldSStroker
Guru
Guru

Post by OldSStroker »

Cammer wrote:Do not use solid lifters on a hydraulic lifter camshaft or vice versa.
Why?
[i]"There are some people who, if they don't already know, you can't tell 'em."[b]....Yogi Berra[/b][/i]
[i]"Being able to "think outside the box" presupposes you were able to think in it." [b]--Bob Lutz[/b][/i]
mlburgoon

Post by mlburgoon »

no answer??? I am curious as to why as well.
Cammer
Pro
Pro
Post by Cammer »

I was hoping the camshaft gurus would ring in with a response.

Hydraulic camshafts and solid camshafts are designed for their respective lifters and just because something bolts together does not make it right.

If you are stuck in the middle of the desert with broken hydraulic lifters and come across a set of compatible solid lifters, go for it!

You are on the SpeedTalk forum, not the, "I Mixed All The Old Parts In My Garage And Ended Up With A 9000 RPM, 1500 Horsepower, 283 Chevrolet Engine For Only Twenty-nine Cents" forum!

A Lion In Winter
SWR
Guru
Guru

Post by SWR »

Been running solid lifters on hyd cams for a while,on a DOHC application.. as long as the lash is tight (0.002"-0.003"),no problem. A little ticking noise,probably because there's no ramp,but no mayhem whatsoever.
-Bjørn

"Impossible? Nah...just needs more development time"
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

SWR wrote:Been running solid lifters on hyd cams for a while,on a DOHC application.. as long as the lash is tight (0.002"-0.003"),no problem. A little ticking noise,probably because there's no ramp,but no mayhem whatsoever.
Why?
Why not run a solid cam with those solid lifters?
There's no gain in running mis-matched lifters and cam profiles.
Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
SWR
Guru
Guru

Post by SWR »

CamKing wrote:
SWR wrote:Been running solid lifters on hyd cams for a while,on a DOHC application.. as long as the lash is tight (0.002"-0.003"),no problem. A little ticking noise,probably because there's no ramp,but no mayhem whatsoever.
Why?
Why not run a solid cam with those solid lifters?
There's no gain in running mis-matched lifters and cam profiles.
Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.
Well... it's not my cams,not my engine and the norwegian equvivalent of $2800 he was quoted for new cams (had to be made from billet,stock cores doesn't have enough material) wasn't very tempting. So unless it breaks stuff,and it hasn't with the hyd. profile it has now,they stay. :)
-Bjørn

"Impossible? Nah...just needs more development time"
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Some major cam companies (e.g. Crower) will build up lobes with (Stellite?) weld to allow radical profiles, when cores are unsuitable or unavailable..
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
keithnh
Re: Using solid lifters on a Hydraulic camshaft

Post by keithnh »

I am curious to know if anyone knows about interchangability as well. Cams can always be reground. Is it the metal content or surface treatment that differs or just the lobe profile?