Wanted: Bore Gage

NOT ALLOWED: Selling or reselling in a retail manner.

Moderator: Team

83hurstguy

Wanted: Bore Gage

Post by 83hurstguy »

Looking to purchase a bore gage for measuring bearing clearances. Prefer a Sunnen if I can find one, would also consider a Mitutoyo 545 if someone has one.

Thanks in advance!
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Wanted: Bore Gage

Post by PackardV8 »

Yes, the Sunnen is best, but sort of a must to get the setting fixture with it, and that's bigger bucks.

I've got a Mitutoyo which might be for sale. I'll get photos for you.

jack
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
83hurstguy

Post by 83hurstguy »

Thanks Jack! I'll send you a PM.
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

83hurstguy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:11 pm Looking to purchase a bore gage for measuring bearing clearances. Prefer a Sunnen if I can find one, would also consider a Mitutoyo 545 if someone has one.

Thanks in advance!
If you find a Sunnen gage and want a setting fixture, I have an extra one, I would like to sell.

PM me if interested.
leahymtsps
Pro
Pro

Post by leahymtsps »

PackardV8 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:36 pm Yes, the Sunnen is best, but sort of a must to get the setting fixture with it, and that's bigger bucks.

I've got a Mitutoyo which might be for sale. I'll get photos for you.

jack
Morning Jack
I own several of each and personally I don't think the Sunnen is any better than the 545 and in fact
the 545 leaves less of a mark on bearings.

Tom
83hurstguy

Post by 83hurstguy »

Thanks for the responses so far, still looking if anybody else has one, particularly a Mitutoyo 545.
gofaster
HotPass
HotPass

Post by gofaster »

I have a Mitutoyo 545-136 with tenths dial. PM me if you're still looking.
Jim McMahon
Heads1st
http://www.heads1st.com/
83hurstguy

Post by 83hurstguy »

Still looking... thanks to everyone for the responses so far. I would need the 545-135 to measure the 2-3" range.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

In looking over the two side by side, the Mitutoyo requiring three shafts to cover .75" - 6", where Sunnen can do it all with one would be the deciding factor for us.

The Sunnen setting fixture is additional cost, but again, so much more convenient to use, it's the best choice for shops.

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
leahymtsps
Pro
Pro

Post by leahymtsps »

In looking over the two side by side, the Mitutoyo requiring three shafts to cover .75" - 6", where Sunnen can do it all with one would be the deciding factor for us.

Jack, exactly what Sunnen gauge will measure from .75" - 6"? It takes me 3 and they require 2 different setting fixtures
6000 -.740 - 1.19
9000 - 1.18 - 2
2000 - 2 - 6

The Sunnen setting fixture is additional cost, but again, so much more convenient to use, it's the best choice for shops.

The problem with used setting fixtures is threads can be worn in certain spots of their travel. In other words they can
be accurate at some diameters and not so much at others. Its no different than used mics.

Tom
83hurstguy

Post by 83hurstguy »

Thanks everyone. I ended up finding a fair deal on a Sunnen GR from its original owner with light use, so it should be on its way. I'll post pics once I get it.

As Jack noted, buying an extra head for a Mitutoyo 545 (or just two gauges) to measure 2-6" was pricey, and finding it with sufficient length was also a challenge.
83hurstguy

Post by 83hurstguy »

Here’s the Sunnen gauge I purchased. It’s older (has metal case) but definitely has very minimal/light use, don’t really see wear on anything. There’s no model number on it that I see externally, but based on the 12” length and retractable feature, I’m guessing it’s a GR-2121. Anything else to check on these?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gofaster
HotPass
HotPass

Post by gofaster »

It looks a lot like my GA-2125, (mine doesn't have the retract feature). Very nice find. Make sure it reads the same after you retract and release a few times in a ring gage or a test bore. One of my smaller GR-6000 Sunnen gauges started to get inconsistent many years ago and I sent it back to them for repair. I haven't had any trouble with it since. Dirt and gravity are common problems, keep them clean and don't drop them.
Jim McMahon
Heads1st
http://www.heads1st.com/
83hurstguy

Post by 83hurstguy »

Thanks Jim. I did check it a few times, and it seemed to be repeatable.