Tumbler/Vibratory Polishing valve springs

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Tumbler/Vibratory Polishing valve springs

Post by BOOT »

I've been researching DIY polishing valve springs some and figured I'd ask if any do their own and what is their technique or media preference. Also I wanna know if any have done painted LS style springs and if the paint came off or they had to remove it first. Do you prefer dry or wet media, if wet how do you prevent corrosion? I don't plan on doing it a lot so just a cheap hobby tumbler.

Here is one of the links with mention of polishing valve springs https://performancetechnician.com/pdf/2 ... prings.pdf I am not concerned with other prep methods covered in the article for this thread, feel free to start your own discussion.

I am aware some say they may not cool as well or may even not retain oil enough to prevent corrosion long term sitting.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru
Re: Tumbler/Vibratory Polishing valve springs

Post by Dan Timberlake »

I'd be tossing and turning worrying that If more than 0.001" or so of material is removed, the significant fatigue resistance benefits of shot-peening may be compromised, per MIL spec 13165.

http://everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL-SPEC ... 165C_2266/
cardo0

Post by cardo0 »

Just scrub them with a Scotch Brite pad inspect them with a 4X magnifier. File off the sharp edges on the ends. 2 hours and your done. Buy enough for failures and springs with pressures that can't match the rest.

I don't see the need for NASCAR level preps on a mostly street car or even a hobbiest bracket racer.
74 corvette: 350 4 speed
94 Z28: Gen II 350 auto
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Dan Timberlake wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:51 am I'd be tossing and turning worrying that If more than 0.001" or so of material is removed, the significant fatigue resistance benefits of shot-peening may be compromised, per MIL spec 13165.

Are all springs shot peened?

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Dan Timberlake wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:51 am I'd be tossing and turning worrying that If more than 0.001" or so of material is removed, the significant fatigue resistance benefits of shot-peening may be compromised, per MIL spec 13165.

The tumbler has other uses, so it's gonna be tested on old sets of springs even if I get no info here.

Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

BOOT wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:21 pm

Are all springs shot peened?
==============

Hi BOOT,

I can not swear all valve springs are shot peened, but I'd be mighty surprised if they are not.
A close visual inspection with magnification should provide the answer on your springs. The dimples are not very large on hard steel, like valve springs and old Mopar torsion bars.

I hope Others who really know will comment.

regards,

Dan T
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

From my understanding there are a few things that make a valve spring good or better. One is the cleanliness of the steel that the spring is made out of. Two is the form and design of the spring, and three is the final treatments for the spring.

So if the spring you want to surface treat is poor from a material, design or surface treatment standpoint, NO Polishing is going to make it better.

Most all valve springs are either nitrided or shot peened after fabrication or BOTH. These are very technical processes that must be done in a controlled fashion or the spring will be weakened.

My thought here is that if do your DIY polishing, or shot peening that was not done a proper controlled and testable manner you are probably going to do more harm than good. So my suggestion is to buy a high quality valve springs from companies that know the science of valve springs and many offer optional finishes to further strengthen their springs.

You know there are some parts on engines that are easy to experiment a bit and don't lead to catastrophic engine failure, VALVE SPRINGS AIN"T ONE OF THEM!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Once again are all, even oem springs shot peened?

I think some of you assume I am maxing out the spring in the 1st place, maybe I anticipated the loss.

Unless you've personally polished yourself and broken springs, keep scrolling.

Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I can only assume so I don't think anybody can answer that question about shot peening across the board. Since most OEM's I know of get their valve springs made by Tier suppliers which they specify for build, use, process and finish. I would believe when one inquires from the valve spring manufacturers and there information you might be able to isolate from your particular application whether that spring was peened or not.

As for how unique your situation or need is we would need to know probably what OEM engine, valve spring and actual use you are asking about.

As for me having experience polishing valve springs, I have none, I choose to leave that special knowledge and work to the high quality valve spring manufacturers. I've had a few valve spring failures over my 30 years plus of performance engine building and in all those cases it was material, design or manufacturing methods that was a determiner of the valve spring failure, not polish finishing of the material.

If you are finding otherwise I hope you get all your answers and are successful in your DIY. Please let us all have some more information on what you are doing, how you are progressing and what your outcomes are.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

As mentioned in a previous post, automotive valve spring manufacturers go to great lengths to make sure that they use pristine clean material for their springs with absolutely no contamanents in the material that they use. I have used hobby-type tumblers to clean springs and other small parts with no adverse affects. I don't think that the tumbling operation will affect the size, nor the ultimate finish of the springs enough to lose any sleep over.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I don't plan to go overboard, I'll experiment with tumble time. I'd like to see how long it takes to remove the paint from gm ls springs and I have some used comp springs I'll try as well. I think the media would have to be pretty abrasive to damage them.

modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

I would estimate.... about 75% of valve springs that currently exist are shot peened.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

modok wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:11 pm I would estimate.... about 75% of valve springs that currently exist are shot peened.
I’d bet it is at least that. In the piston engine aircraft world, at least back when I was in it, 100% of valve springs was shot peened to very specific specs of shot size and peening duration. Granted, a spring failure at 20,000 feet is a bit more of an issue than one at ground level :lol:

I know Howards Cams is a big pusher of vibratory polished springs, quoting 2-3x life expectancy over non polished springs.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Several performance and racing valve spring companies offer polished valve springs as an optional upgrade and obviously they say it is for extending spring strengths and longevity. Manley, PSI, Comp PAC all offer this option on some springs but I just don't think it is as easy as throwing a set of existing springs into a vibratory polisher and achieving improved longevity and strength. I am pretty sure their is most likely a very specific process with vibratory material, method, testing and measurement to achieve desired POSITIVE results.
sbcharlie
Pro
Pro

Post by sbcharlie »

we REM finish all of our valve springs and other valve train components with great success