GM's new 4.2L DOHC twin turbo V-8 !!

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

digger
Guru
Guru
Re: GM's new 4.2L DOHC twin turbo V-8 !!

Post by digger »

Yeah I know, it was not a serious comment
adam728

Post by adam728 »

Oil is cheap, I change it (too) often. A 25 mpg uses 200 gallons of gas in 5,000 miles, which at $2.50/gal is $500 in fuel. An oil change during that might be $35 (on the high side).

This new twin turbo V8 is pretty impressive (as is the Ford 2.7L). I'm just amazed at what production engines are capable of now days. I currently own 2 small block Chevys, a 165 hp 350 in a 1982 G30 van, and a 190 hp TBI 350 in a 1992 C2500. So you can see why I'm amazed at the specific power output on stuff today!
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Philosophically I'm with Adam, but operationally I'm in the Mark camp. I once changed the oil in my '03 Vibe after 37,000 km of mixed highway/city driving. I felt a little guilty about it so I had the drainings analysed. (In various cities, I've found local Amsoil distributors to be the easiest go-to guys.) The report came back "Suitable for further service." #-o

By way of contrast, after I burned a piston (don't ask) in my 3 cyl. '87 Pontiac Firefly (Chev Metro clone) the oil looked like tar after a few hundred klicks.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

MadBill wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:56 pm
By way of contrast, after I burned a piston (don't ask) in my 3 cyl. '87 Pontiac Firefly (Chev Metro clone) the oil looked like tar after a few hundred klicks.
My 1st new car was an 89 Suzuki swift gt, a metro but with a big 1.3L 4 cyl and with the gt badge came a 4v head that bumped it from 70hp to 100hp! :)

Being my 1st new car it got lots of oil changes....so it was in perfect shape the day I drove it into a very large rock that pushed the perfect engine about a foot into the passenger compartment.....no good can come from changing oil :)

And this little thing is about the opposite of a Caddy with a 3.9L twin turbo v8 which I'm sure will be a joy to drive ....even in the rain.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

We are drifting here.

I think some here are missing out not understanding or discussing some of the new standard engine configuration technology that has appeared in this engine.

This new 4.2L twin turbo engine is radically different in the cylinder heads.

The exhaust ports empty into the valley side of the V and the intake tract is outside of the V were the exhaust has always been on US V-8 engines.

Major change and departure for V-8 turbocharged engine coming from Detroit.

Reason and benefits are that the exhaust track is shortened to the turbo and exhaust temperature at the exhaust turbine in the turbo is kept higher.
The benefits from these two pluses allow greater work by the turbo and reduction of turbo lag. The other major benefit is a narrower width to the 90 degree V-8 package.

Just thought I would mention this pretty radical engine architecture change for those here who have not studied the features and turbo application to this new engine.

Nice to see more bold steps forward by the Detroit dinosaurs!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
tt 383
Expert
Expert

Post by tt 383 »

Newold has this been confirmed as a corporate engine that would be shared with the Vette or Caddy specific? I have seen a few rumors of a 5.5 for the Vette in both NA and FI forms. Seems odd they would develop 2 DOHC engines. Of course that's always just conjecture from an inside leak...
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I think most now feel that until GM makes a public corporate release that any engine will appear in the Corvette is pure speculation.

There has been mention that because the DOHC engine for the new mid-engine Corvette has not been in development very long and this new 4.2L turbo V-8 has been in development over 4 years and testing for a long period that GM may use it as an interim engine for the 2020 Corvette or so until a more powerful DOHC V-8 can be ready for deployment.

Reason I think that is GM/Corvette wants the new 2020 and beyond mid-engine Corvettes to give chase to some of the more exotic mid-engine cars being delivered in that high end exotic vehicle market and with those creeping up at 800HP and beyond most realize this 4.2L twin turbo V-8 release will probably cap at about 700HP or so and not be capable of getting beyond that 800+HP level.

A 5.6L larger version of this engine with strengthening in the block can probably give that level of power with some form of vehicle warranty for the "Hot Foot" on the street! This new "Hot V" design probably will also contribute to cooling control of the new mid-engine ( Oh Heck C-8) Corvette.

The nice opportunity for GM (planned I am sure) is that they located the build place for this 4.2L engine at the Corvette Bowling Green plant. Read between the lines here and I think we might be able to see where GM is going for powertrains for the new mid-engine Corvette. :wink:
stokerboats
Pro
Pro

Post by stokerboats »

Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

If that is one of the variants of the new Corvette C-8 mid engine car and it sounds and handles like that there are going to be serious back orders and a ton of old Gray Beard previous Corvette ownership and quite a few new converts panting at dealerships waiting for their new ride!

Even with the camo the lines are better but still to much hard line Star Trek spaceship lines for my fancy. Smooth that damn rocket! JMO

A beautiful women always has a lot or gorgeous curves and sexy lines !!
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

The swan-song ZR1 is 2.85 seconds to 60, 6 seconds to 100 and 10.6@134 1/4 mile. 25% weight on each wheel, 1.18g skid pad.
755 HP at slightly less than 15 lbs. boost
All in for under $150K.
If a 5.6L version happens with the C8 and takes it beyond 800HP, there is a Hennessey version of the old dinosaur already available with 1200HP

So, why mid engine? not for better weight distribution, mostly because it's cool?

Why DOHC and 4V? not for more HP. Maybe because it's cool too.

Why buy a C8 if McLaren has "cool" already firmly locked up. (and they really do)

Corvette has been a leader in bang for the buck and a persistent irritation for the exotics out there. I hope GM hasn't talked themselves into yet another nearly unobtainable, nearly un-insurable, absurdly expensive to maintain mid-engine sports car just to fit in with the other guys.
We'll see. But on the bang for the buck scale the apparently antiquated ZR1 sure has the bar set way up there.
Bazman
Pro
Pro

Post by Bazman »

Going out on a limb here, but a McLaren 720 is not a drag car, yet has been clocked at 9.7 on the 1/4. It punches above its weight. Enter the C8... and please God a future Zora... and you could have an all American car that can show a Demon the way if it has to... but put up astonishing lap times too. A positive displacement blower is just a bad idea for hot lapping, it also raise the center of gravity and roll point... not good either. Now, the new ZR1 is an incredible car and what a deal for the money... but don't expect it to run lap 25 as quick as lap 2-3.... enter turbos, now it's possible. Now they can play with the big boys

GM know what they're doing and have had the luxury of watching a lot of very cool exotics get it right before they reveal their hand. I think they're going to nail it - if not 1st time, watch for the Godzilla that will come. I'm excited
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

exhaustgases wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:49 am Mid engine? Does that mean engine removal for service items like replacing a water pump, or a head gasket etc.? I guess that sort of thing is pretty standard nowadays, like removing a cab on a ford to reach stuff on the rear of the engine. DOHC I see $5000. timing chain and or guide replacement costs, after the warranty is out. Sounds like GM is on the ball for dealer service centers with these new engines and mid engine design.
Isn't there a foreign made mid engine car that needs the engine removed to change the oil?
Pull the cab for timing chains? That would be the 4.0 in Explorer/ Ranger ?
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

Is a mid engine Vette really necessary ?
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Does anyone really ever buy a car like a mid-engine Corvette because it's NECESSARY ! :lol:
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

Mid engine cars are ugly