OEM rings in the 1960s

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: OEM rings in the 1960s

Post by pdq67 »

I think Comet Cleaner or Bon Ami Powder Cleanser was used to help seat chrome rings way back in the flathead days when the cylinders weren't up to snuff.

They would rev her up and shake a bit down the carb to help seat the rings.

pdq67
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Bon Ami, Comet is too coarse....I recent used a a light amount of Bon Ami ,about 1/8 teaspoon, in each cylinder on an old 750 Triumph bike I bought...It was a smoker needing a top end but I just wanted some riding for the summer...With the engine off I open the throttle and dumped it intp the carbs.Started the engine...took it for a hard ride, no more smoke and better compression...I changed the oil...Rode it 800 miles...I just rebuilt the engine properly this winter...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

In the early 70's where i worked we had a fleet of Case W7 and W9 R/T loaders,which gave excellent service , the operators were notorious for leaving them idling all the time so fumy engines were encountered occasionally ,i remember the pistons in these engines having four upper and two lower rings on the pistons [correct me if i am wrong] i think some were chrome.

Case used to sell de-glazing powder [Bon Ami with a sticker over the label],, the engine was bought up to operating temp ,all rams were crowded and the engine held at max rpm ,then sprinkling the powder into the inlet manifold for a specified amount of time, i can't remember if there was a post treatment regime ,but this did clear a lot of engines up without further action needed.

Some years later during a discussion at the pub i told friends of mine of what we used to do to clear up some makes of old diesels ,,,,,,needless to say, a number of years later ,one person remembered only parts of the story , poured Bon Ami down the plug holes of a smokey Cleveland ,hit the starter and locked the engine solid ,,,, i can still remember him coming to the pub a bit cranky and telling of his dilemma to the table full of guys that were at the original story telling ,,some looking at me ,silence was golden.

Cheers.
grandsport51
Pro
Pro

Post by grandsport51 »

I am 67 and probably read way too many Automotive Magazines from HRM CC to the worst Car Life.

So though I can't find the article I remember specifically reading about George Bignotti sucessfully seating rings on an offy

With Bon-Ami!

I can't show proof but since my heart attacks I cant remember to turn off the house lights

But I remember most of the old info (maybe too much) LOL !

Dave B.
LIGHT 'EM UP
Runit
Pro
Pro

Post by Runit »

In the mid 70s I hung around an open wheel road race team. There was a Stuska dyno there. The American Ralt importer's team rented space in the building across the parking lot. They got their watercooled SuperVee engines from Engine Developments (John Judd) in England. One day, they brought a new engine across the parking lot to the dyno. John Judd showed up during the run-in. A Dixie cup of white powder came out of his brief case and was run into the engine inlets. He used a straw down the trumpet and past the Lucas slide throttle on each cylinder. I was looking over his shoulder and watched the powder level go down as it was vacuumed into the engine.