General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Old school into new school- great article

Post by n2xlr8n »

https://roushyates.com/powering-into-the-playoffs/

Someone talking about the FR 9 helped me find this link. Great read.

BTW- my employer has been producing OH cranes for 65 years. We recently hired a new CEO from RCR crew- really bright engineer that has opened many, many doors in our manufacturing and processes.

Technology rocks.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
Newold1
Guru
Guru
Re: Old school into new school- great article

Post by Newold1 »

Nice read, thanks for the link ! =D>

I think the one thing that the article points to as the "magic winning elixir" PASSION, YOU'VE GOT TO HAVE TO WIN AT ANYTHING IN LIFE! :wink:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

When I read the article, I realized that I have read similar articles of how when there is a winning team, that history will repeat itself and another team will built just as successful program as the one mentioned. Remember when Toyota did the same and the GM did also. One thing we better not forget and that is change is inevitable. Hell saw that with Glidden, then Jenkins--u git the point.
reed
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Great read.

I think the big takeaway for me is the importance of managers with not only open minds, but the humbleness to know they don’t know it all and knowing how to surround themselves with smart / driven people to not only fill in their gaps, but to supplement their own knowledge. The understand the needs of the organization and how to put it before themselves.

I know the practicality of one man operations is sometimes just because that’s all the business can sustain, but I know I could never work alone and how I value working on multi disciplined teams. It’s a big world and there are lots to learn, with a lot people having a lot to offer. Not really interested in working for / with “my way or the highway” control freaks.
-Bob
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

It's an interesting phenomenon that there seems to be a limit to how large this philosophy can grow. Most large corporations just can't make it happen. That it's possible, one only has to look at the UK/USA in WWII; if a corporation can convince the entire organization, it's under an existential threat, maybe for 3-4 years it could work. Long term, no large organization has ever sustained it. Totalitarian rule helps; look to China.

I'm the son of a 40-year steelworker's union worker. Union workers see the capitalist pigs taking the millions and sometimes they're willing to lose their job and their future, because at some gut level, the unfairness is just too, too. The gap between capital and labor is greater than at almost any time in US history.

Real world, small organizations, great leaders can motivate members in that short term. Where is the evidence it's sustainable?
Last edited by PackardV8 on Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

PackardV8 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:13 pm It's an interesting phenomenon that there seems to be a limit to how large this philosophy can grow. Most large corporations just can't make it happen. That it's possible, one only has to look at the UK/USA in WWII; if a corporation can convince the entire organization, it's under an existential threat, maybe for 3-4 years, it could work. Long term, no large organization has ever sustained it. Totalitarian rule helps; look to China.

Real world, small organizations, great leaders can do that short term. Where is the evidence it's sustainable?
It never is just like great sports teams are never sustainable. Eventually, some of the core people move on - either they retire, take better paying positions, and/or become the boss somewhere else due to lack of upward mobility.

I think one of the takeaways for me working in large teams is how little any one person really knows, regardless how smart they are. The world is too complex for one to know it all and see everything from all perspectives. I look back and think about all the things I’ve learned from coworkers and peers at school, that I would have never learned by myself.

China has a hard on for 1950s US. They put a lot of money into R&D and public works projects. We’re more interested in quarterly profit reports than any long term investment here... good for my 401k, not so good for any meaningful innovation.
-Bob
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

hoffman900 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:16 pm It never is just like great sports teams are never sustainable. Eventually, some of the core people move on - either they retire, take better paying positions, and/or become the boss somewhere else due to lack of upward mobility.
China has a hard on for 1950s US. They put a lot of money into R&D and public works projects. We’re more interested in quarterly profit reports than any long term investment here... good for my 401k, not so good for any meaningful innovation.
Conflict/divide/conquer is good for business. I lived through it and would never have believed US Steel actively fomented racial hatred, because that split the union strength by half. Keep them fighting among themselves and they can't effectively organize.

Same with the USSR and ROC; were they existential threats to the US in the 1950s? History suggests otherwise, but damn, that fear was great for the arms business and the space race. We'll never pay those bills we ran up arming against a non-existent threat.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Probably should be in Poli?? --- pdq67

Jack,

IMHO, you are kidding yourself if you think that we will ever pay our debt off!

I seem to recall one time a while back when a member of the FED was asked about doing so and something was said about kicking the $Buck to the curb and starting over!

Also that at one time, I think in England, the Chi-Coms asked a another FED guy how much money it had printed up? Asking because they were worried about the FED devaluing the Chi-Com's ownership of our debt. The guy kinda matter a factly said "$98 Trillion!! I imagine that the Chi-Coms coughed on this answer!!

Now don't take all this as gospel, but think about it....

pdq67
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Before he died ... Alan Kulwicki was one of my heros; from way back in his "short track" days.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.