GM's new 4.2L DOHC twin turbo V-8 !!

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

mekilljoydammit
Re: GM's new 4.2L DOHC twin turbo V-8 !!

Post by mekilljoydammit »

I'm just waiting for the Corvette version, followed shortly by GM fanboys claiming they were always for DOHC V8s and that they haven't been crapping on DOHC 4-valve engines for the last 20 years.

For places overseas where displacement is taxed more, this might have a better luxury car take-up than pushrod V8s did; god knows BMW seems to sell enough stuff using their turbo V8s. It is kind of a weird seeming thing to see released coming on the heels of mass layoffs though, but if they didn't think the business numbers made sense they wouldn't have done it.
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

mekilljoydammit wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:28 am I'm just waiting for the Corvette version, followed shortly by GM fanboys claiming they were always for DOHC V8s and that they haven't been crapping on DOHC 4-valve engines for the last 20 years.

LOL.

Yes the Corvette (and Camaro??) version will be more interesting in several ways :)
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Newold1 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:42 am I think sometimes WEon this engine forum should spend a little more time studying and educating ourselves in new engine development offerings and understand in particular in a case such as this before we start making so many OPINIONS not necessarily based on real facts and information.

Some more real information on this new GM RPO LTA twin turbo engine:

1. Development on this engine began over 4 years ago at GM.
2. The engine has undergone over two years of actual on road in testing durability cells at GM.
3.This engine is currently being set up for assembly as we speak at the new GM high performance engine assembly facility at Bowling Green Kentucky
4. 20 psi boost on this new engine design is mild, it can easily sustain 30-40psi of boost for extended horsepower and torque.
5. Having 5500 psi fuel pressure in engine fuel lines is not a problem at GM look at fuel pressure levels in LT5 and Duramax diesels.

Just saying I think a few on here should take a more complementary view point with new engine technology, especially when it comes from a company like GM with incredible engine platform success it has had in the last 20 years or so!

I agree with Hoffan900 here:
WE SHOULD DO MORE HAILING AND LESS BAILING!
JMHO :wink:
The Northstar completed the requirements for reliability as well. I'll wait to see if this new 'vette trumps the 2019 ZR-1 in any column other than price. The strongest supporters of the new version wouldn't likely put up much of their own money making that bet. So, we'll wait and see. Anything else is just talk at this point. And, please don't try to label this as anti-emerging technology. It's performance can and will be measured. Then we'll know if it was a wise investment.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Anybody who considers almost any non-collector car an investment needs to get some new investment strategy.

One should not describe a regular consumer vehicle as an investment, IT AIN"T !!

Some other good ideas to consider when talking money matters:

Banks and credit card companies are not your friends! :wink:

Insurance companies are not your friends! :wink:

Always try to know who your REAL friends are and protect them and yourself whenever you can! :wink:

As for large (not mass) layoffs at GM alone would inform themselves of the facts would not try to relate those layoffs to new engine offerings.

The big GM plant closings and related layoffs are totally a result of the end of sedan and coupe vehicle offerings of the Cobalt, etc.

Ford has announced and is undertaking the complete elimination of coupes and sedans other than the Mustang.

Consumers are not buying these vehicles in volumes necessary to support the current production.

Consumers want trucks and SUV's and EVC's and it shows in sales across the US vehicle production and sales numbers, not because GM is developing or marketing new performance engine offerings!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
mekilljoydammit

Post by mekilljoydammit »

I'm just saying, on a kneejerk level it sounds weird, I know it's relatively unrelated.
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

Ron E wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:35 am
I'll wait to see if this new 'vette trumps the 2019 ZR-1 in any column other than price. The strongest supporters of the new version wouldn't likely put up much of their own money making that bet.
I know at least 1 person who's gotten a dealer to accept a deposit for a 2020 model..... his 1st NEW car in like 30 or 40 years.

I just can't imagine GM would be foolish enough to roll out a midengine car they've been pondering, testing, and prototyping since the 60s without it being able to beat current offerings....that just seems like suicide.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

GM has been very open book and vocal about the change to the new 2020 mid-engine Corvette to be a competitor to some of the lesser cost european super sports cars and it was obviously necessary to develop some new engine platforms that would fit and work well from a weight standpoint and power production levels to allow the new mid-engine designs. Knowing this is a clean sheet of paper design and development so I am pretty sure there will be a bugs and fixes as any new car design goes thru but GM is good or better than many car companies of putting out vehicles today that don't hurt their reliability and consumer confidence levels. I am pretty sure for the dollar the new mid-engine 2020 Corvette will be an awesome world class new sports car. I just hope they stay a little farther away from the current dated drift towards StarTrek space ship shapes and appendages. KEEP IT CLEAN! JMO
NewbVetteGuy
Expert
Expert

Post by NewbVetteGuy »

Listen to the thinking of 3 of the Corvette's chief engineers regarding the C8 Corvette and many of the questions on this thread become more clear:

Filled with direct quotes and thinking from Dave McLellan, Dave Hill, Tom Wallace, with continuity on conversations starting with Zora Duntov and continuing through Tadge Jeuchter.
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos ... es-to-make

It seems even GM engineers are torn and have been having similar discussions to the ones occurring on this thread. (Dave Hill seems to not be an advocate of a new Corvette platform at all.)

Context on Corvette as the only profitable GM brand for a while and the benefits of the "halo" effect on the over-all brand seems to have slowly soaked in @ GM, but they're also keenly aware that the Boomers keep getting richer and richer as they are aging and they can chase profitability and upscale prices even as volume will get sparser and sparser as the price point climbs. -Mostly seems to be a lot of "true believers" of a Mid-engine, super-car aspiring Corvette advocates in GM's senior ranks combined with boomers with wallets deep enough to afford such a car have made it happen.

2nd / 3rd to the last paragraph seems most relevant to the direction of the thinking from a financial / brand perspective:
"Seven months after Wallace stepped down, GM filed for Chapter 11 reorganization. Tadge Juechter, rewarded with the Corvette chief engineer’s title in 2006, assumed the babysitting job upon Wallace’s departure. Then something unexpected happened: Washington-appointed accountants inspecting GM’s books discovered that the Corvette was one of the corporation’s rare profit centers. Juechter was instructed to move development off the back burner to keep this sports car viable for the established customer base. Realizing that this was less than the ideal moment to launch a mid-engine design, Juechter’s team created the well-received C7 Corvette, unveiled in early 2013. ZO6, Grand Sport, and ZR1 editions quickly followed."

Adam
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Newold1 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:15 pm Anybody who considers almost any non-collector car an investment needs to get some new investment strategy.

One should not describe a regular consumer vehicle as an investment, IT AIN"T !!
i'I'm talking about the investment the corporation is making. Not an individual buyer.
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

I think it's getting harder and harder to get large displacement engines through emissions and this engine is a reflection of that reality.....so the investment is a life or death choice not a simple would I rather choice.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

2nd / 3rd to the last paragraph seems most relevant to the direction of the thinking from a financial / brand perspective:
"Seven months after Wallace stepped down, GM filed for Chapter 11 reorganization. Tadge Juechter, rewarded with the Corvette chief engineer’s title in 2006, assumed the babysitting job upon Wallace’s departure. Then something unexpected happened: Washington-appointed accountants inspecting GM’s books discovered that the Corvette was one of the corporation’s rare profit centers. Juechter was instructed to move development off the back burner to keep this sports car viable for the established customer base. Realizing that this was less than the ideal moment to launch a mid-engine design, Juechter’s team created the well-received C7 Corvette, unveiled in early 2013. ZO6, Grand Sport, and ZR1 editions quickly followed."

Adam
[/quote]

Sorry Ron E. misunderstood your comment about corporate investment versus individual investment in vehicles.

As for GM corporate investment in the Corvette it seems that the information in Adams post sort of moves contrary to that thought?

Hope they just get the styling and look to a better place so younger buyers can increase in the Corvette market versus the "Old Gray Hair" dudes driving a lot of them now ! LOL! :lol:
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

:lol:
-Bob
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Bob:

That is exactly the Corvette styling and look that Corvette needs to take another look at "Farmer goes high tech", HA! :lol:
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Exhaustgases:

Please don't ever bite yourself until you have someone make up some anti-venom. Your poison is awfully strong. You must have tons of bad personal experiences the rest of us don't have?

Let's see, over a million V-6 all aluminum engines in all types of GM vehicles and Oh Yah, all those horrible all aluminum LS, LS2, LS3, LSA, LTA, LT!, and LT5 all aluminum engines that number over 5 million and still growing and just think of all the massive trouble GM has had with these? !!

Sir, I respectfully have to say you really don't know what the frick you are expondulating on! If you can't find something factual and reasonable to say - Disappear Please!

Just for additional information on this new LTA engine. It will be the standard engine in the new Cadillac CT-V car and the 2020 Escalade so with those type of additional quantity applications I suspect GM has worked out a lot of kinks in four years and probably are not going to risk all these successful models with a junk engine. :wink:
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

novadude wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:40 am Here's something I don't understand....

It takes a lot of money to develop a new engine platform. While modern design tools speed up the process, you still need to do reliability testing, emissions certification, etc. There is also expensive tooling required for a new platform.

If you look at GM in the last 20 years, starting with the first LS, right up to the current LT1, there have been significant changes to the V8 platform. Contrast that with the Gen 1 SBC that hung around for 40 years with only minor tweaks.

Sales volumes are way down compared to the Gen 1 SBC era (1 million Impalas produced in 1965 alone, most with v8 power). How can they justify the expense of producing these new designs? Especially something like this 4.2L v8 for niche applications with low sales volumes? From a business perspective, it's hard to see where the payback is on a project like this.
Part of it is exactly BECAUSE there are things like emissions certification. The LS architecture replaced the SBC because the SBC wouldn't cut it anymore. Likewise the LT replaced (is replacing?) the LS because the LS isn't good enough.

The rest of it is, if you don't continually improve, you die. Chevy's making the SBC for 40 years, or at least the mentality behind making the same engine for forty years, was a good chunk of what was killing GM in the 70s and later. No innovation, just resting on laurels and then wondering how come people were buying imports instead of a brand new '64 Malibu with box styling.