Chrysler 360 External Balance

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Hrdlx62
Pro
Pro
Chrysler 360 External Balance

Post by Hrdlx62 »

Had customer call today about a 360 Chrysler balance job. Its an external balance engine with an automatic trans behind it. As I understand the converter is counter weighted and the combo uses the typical Mopar spider connected to the crank. What's the usual balance procedure for this engine? The shop that does my balancing said they don't do those engines. ?? Thanks.

Chrysler 360 in
hondo383
Pro
Pro

Re: Chrysler 360 External Balance

Post by hondo383 »

We hve a homemade mandrel to hold the insides of the converter centered, make sure its drained out well then bolt it up and spin as normal assembly
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

We just buy the correct B&M weighted flex plate and balance the crank with it installed, then just knock the weight off the converter(if reusing the stock one), or buy a new neutral balance converter.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

If it is a performance application, most guys buy a neutral balance converter and use the performance flexplate that has a cutout in it for the inbalance. Just about all of the performance converters are neutral balance.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-10239

If they want to keep the weighted converter the only way I can think to do it is to buy the flexplate to use while balancing the crankshaft.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
Hrdlx62
Pro
Pro

Post by Hrdlx62 »

Thanks guys. I knew I would get enlightened here.
j-c-c
Guru
Guru

Post by j-c-c »

Did anybody mention yet, to be clear the 360 uses a special balanced damper in addition to the converter balance.
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

My stroked 360/410 is a manual transmission and it has a fluid dampner which is neutral, and to keep from adding so much heavy metal, we drilled and tapped the flywheel on the back side and added a weight. Don't know if they are still available but Chrysler used to sell a weight kit with templates so you could add the right amount of weight in the right place on a neutral converter. cast crank 340's and 383's used weights different than a 360 and forged cranks used no weights, unless you had a 440 six-pack, then it used external balance. I fixed several cars in chassis by knocking off the wrong weights and spot welding on the right ones.

So as mentioned a solid flexplate and add the weight is about the easiest way.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

For years I've used B&M SFI flex plates for external balanced engines. Like was mentioned a neutral balanced converter is needed.
Stick cars get their flywheel drilled to make the required amount of out-of-balance.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
jred
Expert
Expert

Post by jred »

my transmission guy got me some cut convertors all the guts removed and just about 1in of shell left on the part that bolts to the flex plate,, I have the customer bring in their convertor and match it to my dummy and the balance with the stock flex plate and the dummy convertor shell,, no problems as of yet..
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Hrdlx62 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:05 pm Had customer call today about a 360 Chrysler balance job. Its an external balance engine with an automatic trans behind it. As I understand the converter is counter weighted and the combo uses the typical Mopar spider connected to the crank. What's the usual balance procedure for this engine? The shop that does my balancing said they don't do those engines. ?? Thanks.
Use a MOPAR 360 stick shift flywheel to balance it or buy a Mopar Performance flexplate which has one side of the 4 mounting extensions counter weighted to be used for a 360 engine. Other transmission companies offer those type flexplates as well.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.