Best Plugs out there for street perf use? Champion- NGK Iridium IX?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Re: Best Plugs out there for street perf use? Champion- NGK Iridium IX?

Post by Geoff2 »

David R,
That was my point: whatever the small resistance of the electrodes are, they are inconsequential, irrelevant, in terms of the series resistanceS of the circuit.
Duren

Post by Duren »

It depends what type of engine I buy the plug for

In a n/a tuned or stock volvo b230 i run NGK bp6es
Volvo B5234T get Volvo original Bosch. Tuned b5234t get Bosch platinum F5dpor. If i get to choose

The b230 wont fire correct with the Bosch plug is my experience, anyone that van say why?? I check the temperature so it matches.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

How about a denso IK01-31, IK01-27, IK01-24
only 30$ each
or 240$ a set..........
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Not a fan of NGK, they'll last longer tho if that's what you want.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

englertracing wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:20 pm How about a denso IK01-31, IK01-27, IK01-24
only 30$ each
or 240$ a set..........
Spendy but those are awesome performing and long lasting plugs. The regular style ground strapped iridium twin tips are the best plug for the money imo.

I've seen the small platinum discs welded onto the autolite double platinums completely disappear before so now it's primarily ngk or preferably denso for me. In my limited testing the denso's have slightly less resistance over all the others.
xr4x4ti

Post by xr4x4ti »

What about on Turbo applications?

I have always heard that platinum plugs are not good for turbo applications. I am not sure where that started.

What about Iridium?
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

The NGK plugs seem to idle better and last a bit longer in the kids 2 and 4 stroke dirt bikes compared to the Denso they were running. The heat range selection is a plus too. They seem to have a plug for every situation. I use the NGK Iridium plugs in anything I don’t want/plan on having to change for a while.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

no matter the brand I always used extended tip plugs on the street as you can use a step hotter to prevent fouling as the fuel wash cools the plug. any one that ran a BBC on the street found this out.
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

Geoff2 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:47 am I disagree that there is no performance advantage with exotic plugs. Platinum & Iridium plugs do require less arc over voltage. This means you can increase the gap size for greater exposure of the mixture to the spark.
That would only apply if the ignition is capable of overcoming the increased gap, while taking into account the mixture. Excessively lean mixture is harder to ignite, and while an increased gap my help with this, there is a point of diminishing results. If there are any gains, they are insignificant and not worth the extra effort. IF you see a substantial performance increase as a result of switching plugs or altering plug gaps, then you uncovered other issues, and the plugs or gaps are merely a bandaid to them.

Point is, the manufacturers didn't go to exotic plugs because they make more power, and any "proven" dyno claims to such are total BS, because ANY DYNO can be altered to read what the operator wants it to. They went to them for longevity, and little else. The fact is the electrodes in platinum or iridium plugs last substantially longer than conventional plugs, but offer no performance increase.
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

pamotorman wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:23 am no matter the brand I always used extended tip plugs on the street as you can use a step hotter to prevent fouling as the fuel wash cools the plug. any one that ran a BBC on the street found this out.
Only issue with this becomes clearance....There are a lot of engines out there that an extended tip plug will collide with the piston.....Have to be sure they will fit before they can be run.....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

Coloradoracer wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:35 am
pamotorman wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:23 am no matter the brand I always used extended tip plugs on the street as you can use a step hotter to prevent fouling as the fuel wash cools the plug. any one that ran a BBC on the street found this out.
Only issue with this becomes clearance....There are a lot of engines out there that an extended tip plug will collide with the piston.....Have to be sure they will fit before they can be run.....
if you index the ground strap to between 8 and 4 o'clock you should clear most pistons.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

C/racer,

While there may be no increase in peak hp with wider plug gaps, it can certainly help with performance engines at lower rpms that have to idle or be able to cruise [ your typical hot rodder ]. Exh gas dilution from that hot cam makes it harder to ignite the mixture, which manifests itself as a rough idle.
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

The most important criterion for spark plug selection is the electrode tip temperature under all operating conditions.

Self cleaning threshold......400oC....... (752oF)
Normal operating range.... 400-900oC...(752-1652oF)
Lower edge of safety zone..900oC .......(1652oF)
Auto ignition range......... 1050oC...... (1922oF)
Spark plug destruction......1500oC...... (2732oF)

Low speed and idle operation tend to foul plugs and need a hotter plug to stay clean.
High speed, full throttle, extended load periods require a colder plug to prevent plug destruction and engine damage.

Engines that are asked to operate in both regimes make plug selection very difficult.
My Porsche Carrerra engine required a hot plug to be driven to the track and a change to a very cold
plug on the track. And changing plugs was a real bitch.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Quick tip David: For the degree symbol (°), hold down the Alt key and, using the right hand number pad, type 0176.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

How about what's not the best; any plug that has multiple grounds or copper or other metallurgy doing anything other then longevity. :?