older dyno maintance

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rebelrouser
Guru
Guru
older dyno maintance

Post by rebelrouser »

I am thinking about purchasing an older engine dyno. I am 63 and going to retire and just piddle in my shop, I just like building engines. Most people now expect an engine to be dynoed before being picked up, so I feel I need something to test with. I have asked around about technical support and software etc. so I know a little of what I am getting into. For those of you that have older dyno's what are the best strategies for keeping them going without breaking the bank? Places to get technical support from, replacement parts etc. I am looking at a superflow 901 and a land and sea. Most of the engines I build now are 700HP or less and I do about 10 engines a year, so I am not going to beat it to death. Just looking for advice. Right now I use the dyno at the college, but when I retire I will lose that perk.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Re: older dyno maintance

Post by SupStk »

Don't have a lot of experience with Superflow 901s but a buddy had one I used. His biggest complaint was whenever it went down, SF told him it needed several hundred in upgrades before they could help.

I would consider Stuska. Their brakes are user rebuildable and parts are affordable. The Trackmaster series have good electronics and software. Zero issues with anything on mine. If you go for one without data acquisition Performance Trends has a system for about 4K I would look into.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

SupStk wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:10 pm Don't have a lot of experience with Superflow 901s but a buddy had one I used. His biggest complaint was whenever it went down, SF told him it needed several hundred in upgrades before they could help.

I would consider Stuska. Their brakes are user rebuildable and parts are affordable. The Trackmaster series have good electronics and software. Zero issues with anything on mine. If you go for one without data acquisition Performance Trends has a system for about 4K I would look into.
Yup, I think some 901 electronics have gone EOL (end of life). I've helped at least one person fix and rebuild a control board from one so they could keep it running without shelling out a ton to upgrade it all.
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

I have a L&S Pro 2000 dyno with low miles for sale here in Charlotte. I tried PM you but, I do’nt think it worked.
Call me.
Greg Finnican
704 408-7356
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

I have had a Land and Sea for about 15 years (sadly it has not got the use it should), but I have been happy with it and the fact that everything is still serviceable. Also, the user forum has been a heaven sent on a few things. Just one more thing to think about. If you do have questions feel free to PM me. I am not a genius with this stuff, but I can share what I know.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
pcnsd
HotPass
HotPass

Post by pcnsd »

Zmechanic wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:30 pm
SupStk wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:10 pm Don't have a lot of experience with Superflow 901s but a buddy had one I used. His biggest complaint was whenever it went down, SF told him it needed several hundred in upgrades before they could help.

Yup, I think some 901 electronics have gone EOL (end of life). I've helped at least one person fix and rebuild a control board from one so they could keep it running without shelling out a ton to upgrade it all.
I repair a fair amount of legacy production equipment. There are quite a few industrial electronic repair centers about. Single board repairs are typically $200-$400 depending. Repairs quotes for unique boards are only the price of shipping. I have never seen a board that could not be repaired, although I am told they exist.
The link is to the firm I like best, I am not affiliated with them. I just use them. One thing, after they have you listed as a customer, they will call every 3-6 months to see if you have more work.

https://www.gesrepair.com/Default.asp
- Paul
quickd100
Pro
Pro

Post by quickd100 »

I have a Land&Sea 13" dual rotor and love it. Their customer service is second to none.
When I decided to buy a Dyno I e-mailed SuperFlow and Land&Sea asking about their products. I got a BIG packet in the mail and a phone call from L&S within 3 days. A month/6weeks later I got an e-mailed from SuperFlow. I bought a used Dyno from a private party and L&S was very helpful. One caveat, the software is sold to the original purchase and buying a used one will require purchasing the software again.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/quickd100/9ff3c690.jpg[/img]
Dave Arsenault

Post by Dave Arsenault »

I would agree that Land and Sea may be the best in the engine dyno area right now.I would stay away from the SuperFlow products for now.

Greg Finnicans dyno he has talked about above would be a good dyno for someone. I personally know Greg (great guy to deal with) and that Dyno it would be a great starting dyno for someone.

Dave Arsenault
Founder DTS Dyno's
davearsenault@me.com