Peak RPM/HP

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

11secAvanti
Pro
Pro

Peak RPM/HP

Post by 11secAvanti »

What determines and controls the Peak Rpm Hp Point of 4 cycle engines? By point I mean the highest arc or crossover point as seen on dyno graphs and printouts. Thanks
Rowdy Yates
Re: Peak RPM/HP

Post by Rowdy Yates »

Cam duration and Lsa I would think.
Rick360
Guru
Guru

Post by Rick360 »

Nearly every component plays some role in setting peak hp rpm in every combination.

The size and shape of the intake tract is by far the most influential factor in determining peak hp rpm.

Rick
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Choke flow causing the plateauing of air mass, assuming the engine isn’t artificially running out of fuel.

Whether that be at the valve, pushrod pinch, carburetor venturi, restrictor plate, etc.

Your lawnmower, NASCAR, jet engines, Formula One, etc all work that way.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choked_flow
-Bob
twl
Expert
Expert

Post by twl »

Technically speaking, peak hp is reached at the rpm point where torque begins falling off faster than rpm can increase.

Varous factors can influence it, but usually it amounts to running out of breathing for some of the reasons already mentioned above.
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

hoffman900 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:18 am Choke flow causing the plateauing of air mass, assuming the engine isn’t artificially running out of fuel.

Whether that be at the valve, pushrod pinch, carburetor venturi, restrictor plate, etc.

Your lawnmower, NASCAR, jet engines, Formula One, etc all work that way.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choked_flow
Most engines won't actually have have choked flow in inlet. A restrictor engine yes but but otherwise generally not as the engine looses filling efficiency before that point
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

In a NA motor in a magical world if you had unlimited Cam, port area/ airflow and unlimited rpm potential then at point the motors internal fiction load would match the HP being made and the HP curve would then hit its peak and nose over.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I like engines made so that both Hp and T keep going up past where they cross at 5252 rpm!

pdq67
LSP
Pro
Pro

Post by LSP »

11secAvanti wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:45 am What determines and controls the Peak Rpm Hp Point of 4 cycle engines? By point I mean the highest arc or crossover point as seen on dyno graphs and printouts. Thanks
Intake runner length, cam can rock the curve some, but not move the peak hp much.
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

pdq67 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:59 am I like engines made so that both Hp and T keep going up past where they cross at 5252 rpm!pdq67
So you like little engines?Image?
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

The maximum torque or power that can be developed is determined by the amount of fuel that can be burned.

The amount of fuel that can be burned is determined by the amount of air mass trapped in the engine.

Trapped air mass per stroke determines torque.
Trapped air mass per unit time determines power.

The key is "the amount of fuel that can be burned", not merely the amount of fuel sent to the engine.

Torque, at any given rpm determines power.
If torque is fixed and rpm increases so will power.
If rpm is fixed and torque is increased so will power.

If both are increasing, peak values have not been reached.
Olds455

Post by Olds455 »

gruntguru wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:08 pm
pdq67 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:59 am I like engines made so that both Hp and T keep going up past where they cross at 5252 rpm!pdq67
So you like little engines?Image?
Personally, I don't give a shit if it's 600cc or 600ci. As long as it makes good power for the application, that's all that matters to me. Ford, Honda, Pontiac, Yamaha, whatever...

And it doesn't have to be small.

So you like coyote engines? See? I can do that too.

What exactly was the purpose in saying that anyway except to start shit?
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

Its actually a valid technical point. The rpm where torque and hp "stop going up" is primarily determined by the displacement (and particularly the stroke) of each cylinder.

Valid technical point #2. 5252 rpm is only a meaningless number that varies depending on the unit system you happen to be using.

I am sure pdq67 understands both of the above but there are many visitors who could mis-interpret what he said.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Rowdy Yates wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:13 am Cam duration and Lsa I would think.
Many think that,.. but that hasn't been the case in my experience.

Induction tract seems to be top of the list.

Randy
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

randy331 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:16 pm
Rowdy Yates wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:13 am Cam duration and Lsa I would think.
Many think that,.. but that hasn't been the case in my experience.

Induction tract seems to be top of the list.

Randy
I agree with this, take an engine with long runners let's say 20" total and shorten it to 14-15" total then peak hp rpm may increase 1000rpm