Ford 6.2 potential

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Casper393W
Pro
Pro
Ford 6.2 potential

Post by Casper393W »

So my buddies and I race a 2V Nitrous Mod Motor in a 96 mustang GT... While the car runs great... We have ran 5.40's @ 127mph in the 1/8 and 8.60's @ 155 @ 2900lbs... We have found that the little 304" Mod motor is tapped out on N20... We are spraying 325ish worth of the good gas... But the engine can't physically digest anymore.. we have upped the shot but it will start surging and you can see a could developing over the top of the carb where it's backing up in the intake.

So we have decided to change engine platforms... The 6.2 Ford was offered in the Raptors, F150's, F250's.. the engine has a 4.53 bore center, with a 9.41" deck height! I have seen versions up to 460 ci!
So we found a good low mileage core engine for cheap.. we tore it down and I fell in Love with it! The heads on this engine is a work of art! The SOHC design screams 427 SOHC of yesteryear!! The rockers and cam placement is very similar... But here is the good part... The stock valves measure 2.115 for the intake and 1.650 for the exhaust! The cross section looks amazing... I took it over to David's house (Vizard) last night. I mounted it on the flow bench to see if my enthusiasm was legit or not!

By the time we got it mounted.... It was getting late but get this... At .500 lift we seen 293 CFM .600 / 309 CFM .700 / 320 CFM from a stock head!

I'm looking forward to seeing what we can achieve with this platform!
hondo383
Pro
Pro

Re: Ford 6.2 potential

Post by hondo383 »

Watching this I really think those motors are underrated..are you doing carb or efi?
I think I have read of the heads going over 400 with a little welding...need to make a billet removable top intake ..change top and put a couple dominators or a forward/rearward facing TB
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

We are going to run a carb setup. Since we plan on doing some small block races, we will run one carb on a Yates manifold with a dual spray bar N20 plate. I plan on doing a Tunnel Ram setup on one for my truck down the road...

Andy
Rowdy Yates

Post by Rowdy Yates »

Guy ran one with a carb. and Modd'ed intake on YB done pretty good with sub ten passes NA in a fox body around 600+ @ the crank, with ET and weight factored in. Cammin a 6.2 would be the only thing.. I like the 6.2 Raptor engine architecture always thought 650 at the crank should be attainable with attention to detail and a given Rpm point. Talked to my buddy @ Mile High cranks with the thought of offsetting for more stroke as there's only one aftermarket crank. Looking forward to your results based on the factory port. Livernois says there getting 343 cfm @ .700 with very good exhaust flow 235 CFM at the same .700 lift. Again like the idea.
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

I'm a big fan of that engine- I have one in my 2011 Raptor, boosted with a 2.9L Whipple. It flat gets it done for a 3 ton truck.

I'd love to hear more about your plans...and pics.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

They have a lot of potential, parts availability make cost higher than should be.
MichaelThompson

Post by MichaelThompson »

Remember the old “777” project from Roush and Ford? Well I spoke to Don Bowles about that one time. He couldn’t wipe the grin off his face when he was describing the potential of that engine.
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

One thing you must remember about the parts availability... This to make big power with this engine you can use Factory block, crank, and heads... The bottom end uses a 6.2" rod so I believe with all of the many aftermarket choices out there Piston and Rod selection... An "off the shelf solution" is a possibility.... The biggest cost are the camshafts... You could have $2000 in came and springs...

All in all I look forward to seeing what we come up with on this project!
GerryP

Post by GerryP »

MichaelThompson wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:55 pm Remember the old “777” project from Roush and Ford? Well I spoke to Don Bowles about that one time. He couldn’t wipe the grin off his face when he was describing the potential of that engine.
He had FoMoCo cast up a special thick cylinder wall block to hog the bores 5mm oversize and make new cylinder heads with thicker material in critical areas to allow some special porting. These parts would not be available to lesser humans. But his was something of a max effort drill. If you just want an excellent powerplant that makes great power, then you can probably work with the block's max 2mm overbore and just throw some stroke at it. Your money is going to go into cams and the intake, so maybe it's wiser to work within the 6.2's economical displacement range.

Yeah, the 6.2 is a really awesome engine. If they snuck some in high end Mustangs you would have to sell your soul to get one. But that they are found only in trucks means very few understand their potential.
mfdcar51

Post by mfdcar51 »

Where do you get the adapters to use a carb intake? Really great engine. Now if you can figure out a way to keep the variable valve timing with a carb!
96blackgt54

Post by 96blackgt54 »

Best to stick with the platform!!!! The new 7.3l is a stroked and maybe bored 6.2l and i base this on the 7.3l intake port spacing and port head distance being exactly the same as a 6.2l. The company i work for produce many makes of intake manifold, like the 6.2l and 7.3l (nickname 7x Godzilla) I also believe the heads to be freevalve(camless engine) dispite all the pushrod speculation, but time will tell unless their is a ford rep here thats has witness his own 2 eyes what this up coming monster will be.
Rowdy Yates

Post by Rowdy Yates »

One reason I didn't like the 6.2 no one makes parts. My idea was based on offsetting the factory crank to 3.90 - 4 inches and make aka 411 - 418 out of a Raptor block and do the same basic stuff done on a Ls. The deck height is there and finding rods wouldn't be too hard, with custom pistons. There all the same. Didn't work out well in cost and HP wanted with 7200 Rpm = about 700hp. Hemi does a little better but still high cost to HP ratio. On the new 7.2 looks nice that's about all I can say. Seems late. Code name 777 how long has a Ls 7 been able to make 777 NA is how late ford is to the party. Hemi has there aftermarket big bore block finally. I wonder when the 7.2 will be sold as a plug and play? Or when guys can find one at the wrecker yard. Years down the line or if ever made, everything has turbos to add HP while saving gas. Future laws will require further gas savings for All cars sold. Again no parts vendors as its limited only to a Truck which will only be the raptor. Would be nice for the new block & head architecture .
Casper393W
Pro
Pro

Post by Casper393W »

My thing is.... Even if I can have an engine with 380-400ci... Making 700+ NA with the airflow that the stock head provides should be no problem. I have seen people who are making near 800 hp (Supercharged) with stock crank and rods...

I will document the FULL cost as we go along to see how we stack up once completed!
Rowdy Yates

Post by Rowdy Yates »

700 HP with the stock crank size will need around 7400+ with some compression and lift .630+. Four inch crank around 7200. My thought was a stroker would keep Rpm down and make just as much HP as the shorter stroke = longevity. Please keep us updated.
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Just a quick calculation. :)

Stan

Code: Select all

Engine Size =  378.9687 ci

Dyno Barometric Pressure = 29.921 - Dyno Vapor Pressure = 0.0 - Dyno Air Temperature = 60.0

Fuel           UnCorr  UnCorr UnCorr Correct   A/F
  RPM   Horse  Torque   BMEP    lb/hr     BSFC      HP  Torque   BMEP  Factor  Ratio    SCFM    VE%
 7000   701.1   526.0  209.3   270.96    .3870   700.2   525.3  209.0  1.0013  13.00   769.1  100.2

Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV