PAC vs COMP Cams spring quality

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BradH
Guru
Guru
PAC vs COMP Cams spring quality

Post by BradH »

PAC and COMP Cams both have virtually the identical spec spring that I now use, 1243 & 943, respectively. I believe at one time COMP sourced their springs from PAC, but that hasn't been the case for a while. I have confidence in PAC's products and run their springs now, but would also like to know what peoples' experiences have been w/ the current (non-PAC) COMP springs, especially if it happens to be w/ that part #. Thanks - Brad
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: PAC vs COMP Cams spring quality

Post by BOOT »

Never used pac springs but I'd buy them if i had the option before comp, got enough junk comp parts.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

The PAC 1243 is a bit of a dud, drops pressure quickly, but it is handy when you've got limited installed height to work with.
If you must use the PAC check them pretty regular & set them up with 10-20lb more on the seat than you really want.

No idea on the Comp springs.
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

KnightEngines wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:20 am The PAC 1243 is a bit of a dud, drops pressure quickly, but it is handy when you've got limited installed height to work with.
If you must use the PAC check them pretty regular & set them up with 10-20lb more on the seat than you really want.

The PAC-1343 is same as the PAC-1243 except some additional "process". We use them on some Super Late Model engines with good success.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Pay more and buy PSI valve springs.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

KnightEngines wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:20 am The PAC 1243 is a bit of a dud, drops pressure quickly, but it is handy when you've got limited installed height to work with.

Can I ask what sort of applications you're seeing this result when using the PAC 1243s? Thanks - Brad
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Solid roller, .420" lobes in the 260's duration.
They work, but they loose pressure a bit quick.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Newold1 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:50 am Pay more and buy PSI valve springs.
Is that what you always do ?

Randy
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

I ran Comp springs on my junk to start, broke several of the inner springs and switched to PAC. Ran into some pretty serious valve train issues and found that the springs were the issue. Changed to PSI, zero problems since. All triple springs, all same size, and all rated the same for install height, pressure, etc.... was advised by my cylinder head guy a long time ago to switch to PSI just for that reason. PSI for me now on.
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
NewbVetteGuy
Expert
Expert

Post by NewbVetteGuy »

I don't understand how you would even compare the two.

PAC is a spring manufacturer; Comp just bulk buys springs made by other people and then rebrands and markets them.

What exactly is the Comp brand supposed to mean when it comes to springs?

You could compare one specific PAC spring to one specific Comp spring and a certain point-in-time, but then at any moment Comp can change the actual spring that you're purchasing behind the scenes and the previous comparison is invalid.

Comp springs are like Jegs / Summit-branded products, they're someone else's stuff with a new name slapped on the outside.

Adam
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

NewbVetteGuy wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:30 pm I don't understand how you would even compare the two...
NewbVetteGuy,

1. I'm well aware that COMP isn't the manufacturer of their springs, as I pointed out in my original post that "at one time COMP sourced their springs from PAC, but that hasn't been the case for a while."

2. I did mention the particular springs I was interested in comparing -- PAC's 1243 & COMP's 943 -- although I raised the question in a more generic manner.

3. I'm also aware that COMP's spring supplier may have changed more than once since they stopped using PAC, which is why I asked specifically what "peoples' experiences have been w/ the current (non-PAC) COMP springs, especially if it happens to be w/ that part #."

Please feel free to respond with something of value, not static. And if you happen to know who COMP's current race spring supplier(s) is (are), so much the better.

Thanks - Brad
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 60049.html If you can buy a lot of springs .050 cent per.Are this jointhttps://www.pspring.com/products/engine-valve-springs/
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

PAC and Comp have some good valve springs, but if you want a GREAT spring then you buy a PSI spring. JMHO :wink:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Isky is a distributor of psi a nd the price is a little less. aspringshttps://www.psisprings.com/distributors/
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

1972ho wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:34 am Isky is a distributor of psi a nd the price is a little less. aspringshttps://www.psisprings.com/distributors/
thanks for the link
got a local aussie supplier in there and i like the check sheet gives spring rates and different installed height parameters
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"