Winner Of The Race Engine Challenge

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CamKing
Guru
Guru

Re: Winner Of The Race Engine Challenge

Post by CamKing »

WeingartnerRacing wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:25 pm I’m sorry Walter didn’t win. There were rules every one has to follow them period. When one team gets even the slightest advantage and they let it slide then the competition validity goes out the window. (Trust me)
This is a brand new event, and everyone involved worked very hard on the rules package.
It will be even better next year. One thing I suggested is a penalty for being slightly off on one of the measurements, and a DQ for being more then slightly over. What "slightly" means will have to be decided on, and clearly stated in the rules, before the competition.
We learned something from this year, unfortunately, at Randy's expense.
My first thought would be:
Less then 1% = 10pt deduction
Between 1% & 2% = 50pt deduction
Over 2% = DQ
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

That sounds very reasonable and im sure eveyone would appreciate that. Very good showing by all involved.
Bazman
Pro
Pro

Post by Bazman »

pamotorman wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:12 am a fairer contest would be to use modified stock cylinder heads to show the potential of the engine as produced.
1960 called, they want their Corvair engine and Pat Boone cassette tapes back
Bazman
Pro
Pro

Post by Bazman »

Well done to those that scored well, and I really feel bad for Randy that a technician supposed to be judging fair play got parkinsons on the calculator... dang that's a bit rough
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

CamKing wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:39 pm
WeingartnerRacing wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:25 pm I’m sorry Walter didn’t win. There were rules every one has to follow them period. When one team gets even the slightest advantage and they let it slide then the competition validity goes out the window. (Trust me)
This is a brand new event, and everyone involved worked very hard on the rules package.
It will be even better next year. One thing I suggested is a penalty for being slightly off on one of the measurements, and a DQ for being more then slightly over. What "slightly" means will have to be decided on, and clearly stated in the rules, before the competition.
Over 2% = DQ
if thats the case, 1/10 0ver on the comp limit is + 10%

way over on the limit by any measure
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

Pretty sure 1% is 1/100....
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

exhaustgases wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:24 pm
Walter R. Malik wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:47 am
CamKing wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:55 pm What happened to Randy's engine? It was leading in the inline class when I left. Did it not pass tech ?
They measured the compression ratio to be a tenth to high on one side so, I got tossed.
Not near responsible for the 70 some points difference between the two engines.

It sure would be nice to have a "seasoned" tech inspector there for each operation in order to get the correct calculations because I really think it got messed-up.
Oh, well.
Sorry but I think its nonsense. And also sorry but I think all these competitions are exclusivly for the wealthy well equipped outfits, and bragging rights. For us ones at the bottom of the food chain we would never have a chance, and not because lack of ability but lack of $. Sorry again.
Why are you here? :roll:
-Bob
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

gmrocket wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:17 pm
CamKing wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:39 pm
Over 2% = DQ
if that's the case, 1/10 0ver on the comp limit is + 10%

way over on the limit by any measure
You have got that math WAY wrong ... starting at zero there are 120 tenths in 12 to 1.
There are ten tenths in each full point above zero. The percentage count doesn't begin at 11 to 1.

I hope your sour grapes are simply showing because you finished last in point total.

10% of 12 would be 1.2 compression points.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Being this is a "Race Engine" challenge, there shouldn't be any tolerance in the rules. It's either right or it isn't. It is all simple measuring and math when it comes to ci, cr, lift ect. Set a temp standard of the block and go. It is what it is....
E.R. Racing

Post by E.R. Racing »

Warp Speed wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:20 pm Being this is a "Race Engine" challenge, there shouldn't be any tolerance in the rules. It's either right or it isn't. It is all simple measuring and math when it comes to ci, cr, lift ect. Set a temp standard of the block and go. It is what it is....
I agree. Rules are rules.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

E.R. Racing wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:32 pm
Warp Speed wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:20 pm Being this is a "Race Engine" challenge, there shouldn't be any tolerance in the rules. It's either right or it isn't. It is all simple measuring and math when it comes to ci, cr, lift ect. Set a temp standard of the block and go. It is what it is....
YEP ... fix it and come back with a vengeance.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

Bazman wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:56 pm
pamotorman wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:12 am a fairer contest would be to use modified stock cylinder heads to show the potential of the engine as produced.
1960 called, they want their Corvair engine and Pat Boone cassette tapes back
how can you say it is a ford or chevy or dodge engine when it is mostly aftermarket parts
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

These days at most it's just basic architecture and sometimes just what name is given and in some racing classes the silhouette of the shell
Charliesauto
Pro
Pro

Post by Charliesauto »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:50 pm
E.R. Racing wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:32 pm
YEP ... fix it and come back with a vengeance.
Without divulging any secrets, can you provide some basic info on your engine and maybe even highlight the rules?

Wondering what displacement, compression, carb size etc?

Can you post the dyno test info?

Thanks
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

I still can't believe they allow valve rotation in the inline class.....
Nothing "inline" about a c3! Lol