Moderator: Team

GARY C
HotPass
HotPass
Re: to fast over SSR

Post by GARY C »

randy331 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:56 am
GARY C wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:48 am
digger wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:54 am Low lift flow seems to refer to flow bench low lift flow.
It is, I think it would be better understood or taught when it helps or hurts if it was referenced to cam and piston, maybe flow at TDC?
Probably more to it than that, but piston position and direction has got to be part of it.

Randy
Yes many variables, technically you would be mapping window area more so than cfm, I am guessing that is along the lines of Blair's Time Area... way above my pay grade.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Just wanted to update where i am,
got engine going yesterday after having a rear main seal failure a couple of weeks ago that i put down to a soft after market seal,i could not get a felpro seal at the time but all good now.
run in cam with 1.3 break in rockers,drained oil and cut open filter and inspected all good,checked hot lash IN- 17'' EX - 19'' all good had not moved at all.
set timing to 34 deg total and took it for a highway drive,with the small flat tappet cam it sounds really mild and docile down low,
i gave it a standing start blast and went to 6500rpm in 1st and 2nd gears and buttoned off and was quite surprised even with the low lift 430'' at valve with the 1.3 rockers it felt good after 4000rpm.
it is summer here now and it is to hot to race so wont be out till february-march next year but got a cracked diff housing to weld and a set of sportsman 2 heads i want to rework for a 4.030'' x 3.75'' 383 sbc.
thanks to everyone who helped with my first set of home ported heads.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
camaro/holland

Post by camaro/holland »

steve cowan wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:56 am it is summer here now and it is to hot to race so wont be out till february-march next year but got a cracked diff housing to weld and a set of sportsman 2 heads i want to rework for a 4.030'' x 3.75'' 383 sbc.
Would be VERY interested to follow this build.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

steve cowan wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:56 am drained oil and cut open filter and inspected all good,
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-23845

I find these let you look for trouble without having to cut oil filters apart.
Kept one on the pulling truck all summer and use one on every new engine at least for awhile.
If the engine is in trouble stuff shows up there.

Randy
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

randy331 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:29 am
steve cowan wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:56 am drained oil and cut open filter and inspected all good,

Kept one on the pulling truck all summer and use one on every new engine at least for awhile.

Randy
thanks Randy,
i had not seen them,great idea
there will a couple on the xmas list :D
steve c
treyrags
Pro
Pro

Post by treyrags »

randy331 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:29 am

Randy
Very handy. Ive used the same one on my last 3 builds. Even though I'm very careful, lint from towels is always the thing that is most visible in the screen. 🤨
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Re cutting filters, i always used to use a paint marker dab on a bolt after ut was tqed/finished with so if i was interupted i would know, paint = done , no paint = re check it. Great system.
But the paint markers must have changed the solvent or something in the paint and i started seeing flecks of the paint in the oil filter. Time to change markers to something that cant flake!
I like the oil filter screen.
Randy, have you seen any change in oil pressure with V without that screen?
Craig.
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Or when the neighbor tosses the microwave grab the magnets from the magnetron tube just make sure you short the capacitor before messing with it....
GURU is only a name.
Adam
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Resized_20181125_175303.jpg
Got one for special needs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

zums wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:26 pm These dont hurt either https://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/filtermag
Tom
I have been using filter mag on all my cars including my daily driver, they are a little expensive but work very well,
I still haven't worked out the black metal stain it leaves behind inside the filter
steve c
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Cj performace, I've seen no change in oil pressure with/without the screen.
If you look at the total area of the holes in the top of a filter I can't see the screen being a restriction vs that.

I need one of the magnets too.

Randy
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

randy331 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:32 pm Cj performace, I've seen no change in oil pressure with/without the screen.
If you look at the total area of the holes in the top of a filter I can't see the screen being a restriction vs that.

I need one of the magnets too.

Randy
Thanks for that, I'll have to look out for some to fit ford V8 aswell. Look like a very handy good item.
Cheers,
Craig.
ozyfordman

Post by ozyfordman »

X2, looks like a good thing.if they aren’t available for Fords, the magnets would be next best thing.