Pro
Pro
Re: Ford goes pushrod?

Post by grandsport51 »

FoMoCo did it in ‘67
BC3CEF4C-9D76-48CF-A580-653461AAA368.jpeg
6C6C4A70-49C0-4D2D-A998-C58FB9F55AEB.jpeg
7290ECB5-F1F2-44AF-95E8-3AA66666BA39.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LIGHT 'EM UP
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

I don't see where it says that it is a pushrod engine. Am I missing something?

paulie
grandsport51
Pro
Pro

Post by grandsport51 »

427 3-valve Calliope This engine was intended to run at LeMans, but rule changes outlawed it before it was ever fired. Displacing 427 cubic inches, it was out of place in a class limited to 183 CID. Two engines were produced. One even made it into a test car.
Even though mainly of aluminum construction, this monster weighed 577 lbs.

But it was no boat anchor. The Calliope produced 630 (supposedly reliable) horsepower at 6400 RPM.

While displacing 427 cubic inches, the Calliope was no FE family engine. It used an aluminum block engine with cast iron cylinder liners. Bore was 4.34", stroke was 3.60". The unique feature of this engine are its twin camshafts, one for the intake valves and one for the exhaust. Both are in the block in an over-under arrangement. The intake camshaft lies 6" above the crankshaft centerline. Pushrods from the intake cam run parallel to the cylinder bores. The exhaust camshaft is found 4.5" above the intake cam. Its pushrods lie in a horizontal plane. The camshafts are driven by chains as are the pressure and scavenge pumps for the dry-sump oiling system.
427 Calliope cylinder head, top view 427 Calliope cylinder head, bottom view
The aluminum cylinder heads feature 3 valves per cylinder, two intakes and a single exhaust, in a pent-roof combustion chamber. The heads are sealed with copper O-rings. No intake manifold is used. Hilborn style injection stacks are cast integrally with the cylinder head. No coolant passes between the block and heads. External water lines are used instead. To shorten the engine to assist in fitting it to the racecar chassis, the standard front mounted water pump is replaced by two pumps on the cylinder banks, similar to the scheme used on the Flathead V-8.
427 Calliope timing chains 427 Calliope piston
LIGHT 'EM UP
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

pdq67 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:27 pm How about a cam over cam, hemi headed V-8 engine?

The top cam can operate the exhaust valves if this is possible?

pdq67
like this ???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Speculation goes back six months:
It’s no secret that Ford needs to replace its 6.8-liter Triton V-10 currently found in heavy-duty trucks. It was originally expected to be replaced by a 7.0-liter V-8, but a reliable source to someone at SVT Performance has opened the door to speculation that we could eventually see a 7.3-liter V-8 that rocks out a cast-iron block and pushrod valve actuation. That’s right, a step backward from the OHC setup automakers have been using a lot lately.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

I agree that I don't see mention of any block or pushrod architecture, but this article is a bit sketchy at best. I would think with all Ford's OHC experience the engine would take that form. A nice single valley placed turbo feed from exhaust valves on the inside and intakes fed from the outside like some Audi engines 7.3L with some early rpm mild boost could create a torque monster and put the troublesome and expensive diesels on the shelf in light and medium duty trucks. Sounds like the beast is being set up for build as we discuss as they would not be working with the union for labor and implementation agreements, we'll know soon next year what it's gonna be.

I am guessing that GM is probably working on a similar package as if they are going to sell trucks in Europe, they are going to have to be something other than diesel! It's not a giant market but every other truck maker has to go there!

Sounds like we need some battery powered too Mr. Musk!!

For us Speed Freaks, it could be a win-win, we'll get some new technology big inch power plants to tear around in! YEA!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Newold1 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:21 pm Sounds like we need some battery powered too Mr. Musk!!
SHHHHHH. :-$

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

Would it be more likely that Ford just increased the bore and stroke of a 6.2L OHC engine?
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Its not overhead cam.
Lem Evans
Expert
Expert

Post by Lem Evans »

I have a friend that is working on the project at Ford. It is 7.3L and the cam is back in the block. The push rod engines are cheaper to build and are an easier pkg. to install in the vehicle.
B F Evans Ford Race Parts
270-278-2376
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

As for larger Ford V-8 gas engine think about what a turbocharger did for the Ford Eco-Boost V-6 engine. Imagine what a Turbo-charged v-8 EcoBoost technology engine could do for a pickup or medium duty truck. YEP, huge torque numbers with more efficient gas engines.
Everyone i know that had or has a ecoboost truck hates them for towing. Gas mileage is horrible in load
Ken_Parkman
Expert
Expert

Post by Ken_Parkman »

More cubic inches for a given physical size and weight far outweighs what is lost in rpm range to a 4 valve dohc engine, at least on a V8. Smaller engines not necessarily the same equation. It's only when you limit the cubic inches (rules or taxes) where the dohc really has an advantage. No question at the same engine cubic inches DOHC rules for a lot of reasons. Installed in a car or truck that makes little difference, so your better off with more cu in and less weight.

Of course that's my opinion, I could be wrong.

I remember reading an article long ago by a GM engineer. The biggest problem they had with the ls in a higher end application was the perception. The typical consumer expected a DOHC Northstar - clearly that was a more advanced technology, right? But the ls had a lower hood line, better cg, better handling, better packaging, more power, better fuel economy, better power density. But people believed it was a step back in technology instead of looking at the real world results?
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Pushrods it is then! Works for me, just put one or two turbos on it!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

The valves don’t care how they are actuated.

OHC engines are absolutely necessary as rpm’s rise. Horsepower is simply work done over time = more rpms. They are much stiffer valvetrains.

From an absolute performance point of view, they are superior. You’ll never see pushrods in Formula One or a Moto GP bike. COG, packaging, and light weight are critical there too.

For a mass produced, low rpm, truck engine? Absolutely...

Ford going back to push rod for a truck engine doesn’t validate some of your love affair for antiquated engines. :)
-Bob