scratched piston

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Underdog
scratched piston

Post by Underdog »

While opening the motor plate with a drill for the head gasket to fit properly,(check picture), I got careless and badly scratched the top of the piston because it was on tdc #-o . My question is, can I run it like that or does it have to be replaced?

DCal
Expert
Expert

Re: scratched piston

Post by DCal »

It looks superficial to me, I've carb stud imprints and roller needles marks and those pistons were fine.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

Buff any high spots with a stone or file and run it
lucky

Post by lucky »

You may choose to blend the damaged areas with a cartridge roll. Although not likely in the life of this engine, scribe marks have been known to advance into cracks in some instances. A proper blending will most likely eliminate that possibility.
I hope this helps.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Maybe you could just use the edge of a sharp pen knife blade to scrape off the apparent flakes. That way there's no chance of getting sanding grit down the bores.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

I agree with what has been said. I would try to keep any sanding debris out of the bore if possible. For the head gasket, next time you have an issue just trim that rivet off. It is just there to keep the gaskets together. For some marine applications I actually cut them all off and add a head gasket sealer between the layers, so they are not important to the gaskets performance. Just an FYI.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

MadBill wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:03 am Maybe you could just use the edge of a sharp pen knife blade to scrape off the apparent flakes. That way there's no chance of getting sanding grit down the bores.
This ^^ or use a three-sided scraper like this. I'd use a cutting tool of some sort to avoid crumbs of abrasive getting in the bore or rings and ring lands.

Old School
Pro
Pro

Post by Old School »

Don't do anything except put the head back on, it will be fine. You will do more damage than good trying to smooth it. Don't you know that rough finishes and dimples are the way to power?
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

I'd be more concerned with that apparent gouge that looks to goes past the water passage bead towards the valley.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

This is what I'd do, put the piston at TDC, cover the shortblock in a trash bag, cut a hole for that area and tape if off good, sand, blow it off, wipe it off n run it.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

Definitely polish out all sharp edges smooth it out as good with out taking out materail
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

If you wipe a thick bead of wheel Bearing grease around the top circumference of the pistion and a film of it on the Bore walls you can wipe away any grinding or polishing crap very ease!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Underdog

Post by Underdog »

The scratches have no sharp edges but they concern me, yet I have no time nor funds this year to replace the piston, I wish I knew that I could have cut the rivet off.
If I run it like that can it create heat spots that can eventually melt the piston?. For now it will be run on motor but eventually it will be shot with nitrous.

to allencr267 that opening above the water passage is an oil return passage that on this block was totally obstructed (solid shut) and it had to be opened up and there is no connecting "scratch" between the two. Thank you for noticing it.

Thanks to everyone for your help I really appreciate it.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

cover the piston top with grease and hand sand the area thru the grease. the grease will keep the grit contained
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

Tap any high spots or sharp edges LIGHTLY with a SMALL ball peen hammer to reduce any potential for detonation. Bolt it back together and run it.