tunnel ram results

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Frankshaft
Guru
Guru
Re: tunnel ram results

Post by Frankshaft »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:38 pm I live about 3 miles from an airport and anyone with a credit card can go buy fuel there. The 100 octane AV is $1.72 per litre. Pump premium is about $1.50 per litre. I'm told that the AV is much more reliably rated and lasts longer. I've allready been using it for a couple months, i'll be real happy if it works with 12.9 CR. Thanks for following Steve.
Brian
Av gas is very high quality fuel. It will easily support your compression. And no it is not a "dry" fuel. It has lead in it, whatever dry means. lol. It will work great in your combo. It usually has a high .6 specific gravity, so you may need to jet it up a size or 2. Will have to experiment. I know for a fact it will work with 13:1 on an iron headed bbc. In one test I did with it, it made about 6-7 more hp than 110 octane Sunoco.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Avgas actually is a dry fuel, from everything I've read. Has nothing to do with whether it has lead in it or not.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:45 am Avgas actually is a dry fuel, from everything I've read. Has nothing to do with whether it has lead in it or not.
lol, I knew it was coming. Explain to me what makes it dry? Dry how? And being dry, what does it do or don't do? Just curious,, enlighten us please.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:45 am Avgas actually is a dry fuel, from everything I've read. Has nothing to do with whether it has lead in it or not.
And the moon is made of cheese !!!!

Randy
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Frankshaft wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:12 am
lol, I knew it was coming. Explain to me what makes it dry? Dry how? And being dry, what does it do or don't do? Just curious,, enlighten us please.
Funny all the myths out there that won't die.
AV gas is a great fuel for lots of applications, and a bargain vs race gas.
AV gas is $4,30 a gallon here, vs the $ 18.00 a gallon we pay for the Q16 for our pulling truck.

Is Q16 dry ? LOL Maybe I should add some oil to it ? Or maybe water ? Water would make it wet wouldn't it ? LOL

:lol:

Randy
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

randy331 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:43 am
Frankshaft wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:12 am
Funny all the myths out there that won't die.
AV gas is a great fuel for lots of applications, and a bargain vs race gas.
AV gas is $4,30 a gallon here, vs the $ 18.00 a gallon we pay for the Q16 for our pulling truck.

Is Q16 dry ? LOL Maybe I should add some oil to it ? Or maybe water ? Water would make it wet wouldn't it ? LOL

:lol:

Randy
I think you might need to find a new source for Q. You buying it in 55 drums? Or 5 gallon cans? We actually do add some upper cylinder lube into Q. That stuff is nasty. DO NOT directly smell the jug. Waft it into your nose. A buddy of mine had 3, 5 gallon gas jugs in his garage, smelling them to see which one was the gas for his lawn mower. The Q had been in one for probably a year. Whatever chemical that is in it, separated or whatever, he took a big whiff, and he said, it damn near took him off his feet, he was dizzy and light headed instantly, and then his nose started bleeding, and it didn't stop bleeding for over 2 hours. He almost went to the emergency room. To this day, he gets bloody noses really easy. He said it damaged something in his nasal passage for sure.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

randy331 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:38 am

Randy
It could be made from cheese. How do you know its not? You ever been there? It sure looks like swiss cheese to me.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Av gas is an absolute bargain. Is it perfect for every scenario? no. But its consistent, is more detonation resistant than what its octane would suggest, leaves very little deposits on parts(pistons, valves etc)…..and can work good on a lot of stuff. I've been hearing crap about it forever, high altitude fuel etc bla bla bla, now its too dry?
giphy (1).gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Frankshaft wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:58 am
I think you might need to find a new source for Q. You buying it in 55 drums? Or 5 gallon cans? We actually do add some upper cylinder lube into Q. That stuff is nasty. DO NOT directly smell the jug. Waft it into your nose. A buddy of mine had 3, 5 gallon gas jugs in his garage, smelling them to see which one was the gas for his lawn mower. The Q had been in one for probably a year. Whatever chemical that is in it, separated or whatever, he took a big whiff, and he said, it damn near took him off his feet, he was dizzy and light headed instantly, and then his nose started bleeding, and it didn't stop bleeding for over 2 hours. He almost went to the emergency room. To this day, he gets bloody noses really easy. He said it damaged something in his nasal passage for sure.
We are buying it in sealded 5 gal jugs. We don't burn enough to buy 55s. I know I ain't gettin a bargain on it. I switch it to Q just before the pull, then switch it back to vp blue for loading/un loading and putting it back in the shop etc.

And I know the stuff is nasty. I been changin oil more often with it. The inside of the engine smells bad. Just pullin the valve covers smells.

Randy
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Frankshaft wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:00 am
randy331 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:38 am

Randy
It could be made from cheese. How do you know its not? You ever been there? It sure looks like swiss cheese to me.
I guess mercury is made of grilled cheese then ?

Randy
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Macaroni and cheese, but you have to put "more bowl" in it to eat it.

FACT
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

With the current 10-1 CR, when i switched to AV gas i added another degree of timing and went a little quicker. Also i've noticed that the spark plugs are colored grey instead of brown or black. I also have my carbs richened up to 82/92 (out of the box was 80/90) and i think it may even want to be richer yet.

I think with my carbs on that tunnel ram way up in the air (high altitude) that is why the av gas works so good !!!

Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:59 am With the current 10-1 CR, when i switched to AV gas i added another degree of timing and went a little quicker. Also i've noticed that the spark plugs are colored grey instead of brown or black. I also have my carbs richened up to 82/92 (out of the box was 80/90) and i think it may even want to be richer yet.

I think with my carbs on that tunnel ram way up in the air (high altitude) that is why the av gas works so good !!!

Brian
Pump gas to AV gas should require reducing jet size, assuming your pump gas contains ethanol. The difference between AV and pump on one engine I dynoed on a Braswell carb, was 2 to 4 jet sizes on each end for best power.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Av gas does contain different inhibitors and products to reduce icing at high altitude and the cold temps associated up there. It may or may not work for your application. Its not the same as racefuel by any means. It does work for certain high compression engines but by no means is it the best choice. Up here you also need a valid pilots license to purchase or have a buddy with one. Most of the savings here is due to tax.http://www.fuelexpert.co.za/canirunavgas.php http://www.whitfieldoil.com/171.287/racing-gasoline. http://www.dragracingpinoy.com/articles ... racing-gas Do some reading and decide.
Last edited by Steve.k on Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

Steve.k wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:12 am Av gas does contain different inhibitors and products to reduce icing at high altitude and the cold temps associated up there. It may or may not work for your application. Its not the same as racefuel by any means. It does work for certain high compression engines but by no means is it the best choice. Up here you also need a valid pilots license to purchase or have a buddy with one. Most of the savings here is due to tax.
Koch Refinery here.in Minnesota, about 15 years ago, wanted to produce the best 110 octane race fuel. They contracted the Dyno shop I used then, he has since retired, to do their fuel study's on. They had him come up with an engine of sufficient power, compression and cubic inch to test the fuel on. Relying on some of his expierties to come up with. I was involved with the engine build. It was an 820 hp 496 that was about 13.5:1. They would come up with a blend, and did testing against the other popular 110 octane race fuels at the time, until theirs made the most power. It was Power 110 they called. I believe it's what Sunoco sells now as their 110 octane. They bought the formula and rights from Koch when they stopped making it. Because it was better, no doubt. The base fuel used? 100ll aviation fuel, they added their chemical coctail too.