Guru

Re: tunnel ram results

Post by prairiehotrodder »

last race day picture

http://www.pbase.com/nitroimage/image/168022237

new scoop built :
IMG_2496.JPG
IMG_2497.JPG
Went 9.80 at 136. Gonna try the scoop in a couple weeks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Might want to investigate air scoop inlet shapes that have been shown to work well on drag cars , Indy cars and aircraft for your next effort. Got to appreciate the home brewed effort thou. Some kind of air defuser, straightener on the front may help. Something to slow down the air flow and defuse turbulence at speed.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Scoop seemed to work ok, at least it passes tech. I added another degree of timing and set the tires at 11 psi on saturday. Ran my all time best ever with this car. 9.72 at 137 with a 6.18 in the 1/8 mile and a 1.39 60 foot. Racing is done here now. I' have big plans for the winter. I bought a set of 4.560 Mahle pistons that will put me at 12.9 CR (10.0 right now) and a 280/288 .730/.760 112 cam. Also bought a nice milodon drag race oil pan with side kickouts for power. Looking forward to next season, the motor will be a 555 by then if all goes according to plan. Hopefully the cam, compression and oil pan should add at least 85 hp. Hoping to do all this and run it on AV gas. Its only slightly more money than premium pump gas here. Big thanks to my friend Billy Robinson (old school) for his coaching and to all the members of speedtalk for their input and help in my threads! I had a great year!
Brian
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Brian,
i really like your car it is very cool,i have been following for a while now and i enjoy reading your posts as you always report back the good and the bad,i will be interested in your findings with av gas,there are a couple of well respected speed talkers using LL 100 av with good results,the cost of race fuel is getting hard to sustain for a lot of people,good luck over your winter period and looking forward to hearing all about the new race season
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

I live about 3 miles from an airport and anyone with a credit card can go buy fuel there. The 100 octane AV is $1.72 per litre. Pump premium is about $1.50 per litre. I'm told that the AV is much more reliably rated and lasts longer. I've allready been using it for a couple months, i'll be real happy if it works with 12.9 CR. Thanks for following Steve.
Brian
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

I'd be wary of 100 ll av gas working on 12.9:1 CR.
Good report on progress on testing the carb scoop.
I thought it might help. A more areo and visual pleasing shape is pretty easy but got to appreciate the home brewed scoop. Re consider what s really needed for a 12.9:1 CR racing engine for fuel. Replacing burn't up pistons is not cheap or easy.
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

AVgas will easily support 12's and into the 13's. Get too high and you'll just have to make some ignition advance compromises is all.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

Your et gain came from the 60' time. Were the weather conditions similar as before. What was the previous mph? Thought they were in that range.
Jim
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

77cruiser wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:15 am Your et gain came from the 60' time. Were the weather conditions similar as before. What was the previous mph? Thought they were in that range.
yes you are correct, according to the 1/8 mile time it should have went faster as far as i can tell a 6.18 in the 1/8th should have put me at a 9.60's in the quarter. However i'll take what i can get. I'm also not claiming the scoop helped but i don't think it hurt either. Its tough to say without further testing. I just know i had to have something to pass tech. i didn't get many passes that day (4) and i would like to have stuck the air cleaners back on for a pass. I'm not much of a bracket racer, the only time i advance is when the other guy makes a mistake! I'm more of a tester and tuner trying to learn how to go faster. I've looked at a few factory built carb scoops and i'm not sure i like them any more than my homebuilt unit.
Brian
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

My friend here just uses the top part of a areo snorkel hood scoop on his T RAM 2x750 Eddy's.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:51 am My friend here just uses the top part of a areo snorkel hood scoop on his T RAM 2x750 Eddy's.
post a picture or a link. I'd like to see it.
brian
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Is the front end riding high thru the traps.? This will trim off top mph. May want a full length chin spoiler to pull the front end down, at speed. And or front suspension limiters. I will post a pic of his scoop tonight.
It is a deep 9 sec pro street car. (8's capable if it had a glide. (The 3 speed is too much) work calls.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Here is the pic of the carb scoop. it is readably available
Fiberglass Unlimited brand and others.
You can buy the top and base (2 piece) or just the top.

For street use might want to add some kind of basic air filter to it to keep at least the big dirt out. Your twin air filters look good on the street and do provide effective air filtering.....so..
The dirt in air will wear out the inside of your motor in not long at all
so nice to use air filters on the street to protect your investment.
This scoop is just one areo shape you can consider.
Note the Edelbrock AFB carbs on the BB Chrysler tunnel Ram.
This car drives around very well and GLH.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

I've been looking at my scoop and thinking i might build a smaller one, but the looks of it are kinda growing on me so i think i'll stick with the home built fabricated unit. Just a little smaller.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

I kinda like the homegrown effort too. Keep us posted.
What about something with some kind of basic filtering to keep the big stuff out?