Engine block surfacing

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Newold1
Guru
Guru
Re: Engine block surfacing

Post by Newold1 »

Get that intake squared up on the head mating surfaces and use a better intake gasket with the neoprene sealing rings that are imprinted on the gasket.

Make sure the shop has an accurate way to clamp and carefully shave the intake surfaces at the correct angle to the head match.

That should solve your problem. One can definitely see from the pics that the intake port to the head is not square and sealing properly with a gasket.
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Are yall talking about gaskets like this below? Or the ones with the nitrile rubber gasket-type seals in the bottom pic?

JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

As I mentioned before,
get a fresh set of gaskets that are suitable for the engine not the cheapo Mr gasket stuff but the HP felpro gaskets then glue them don't use silicone it ads to the overall thickness and has more compliance then the gasket does when squished together. the measure the difference at the top and bottom with feeler blades that way you will have an accurate measurement for your machinist if the angles are different side to side.

It takes time but you have changed to parts of the fitment areas by going with a thinner head gasket and machining the deck of the block.
This issue may have been on the edge looking over the side before and the small changes gave it a push off the cliff.

Take your time and do it right and the the info needed to get it right the 1st time
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Thanks to all for the recommendation I took the intake over to the machine shop this morning and looks like I will be taking to them a few times until we get right.looks like a machine the surface and fit it back on and measure and surface it again and see how it fits.
smeg
Expert
Expert

Post by smeg »

Just lately Ede intake manifolds have been crap for manifold face machining.
every intake needs cutting, when we set it up level end to end and take a light .005" cut across, it has all sorts of high and low spots up to .010" out in places. Put some .060" spacers on each corner and measure the angle fit at the four corners and machine to suit.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

My manifold is a old buddy bar D1ZX-DA ford Cleveland so it’s been around for awhile and they are hard to find and expensive.So making some wrong are bad cuts will be even more expensive.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

smeg wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:02 pm Just lately Ede intake manifolds have been crap for manifold face machining.
every intake needs cutting, when we set it up level end to end and take a light .005" cut across, it has all sorts of high and low spots up to .010" out in places. Put some .060" spacers on each corner and measure the angle fit at the four corners and machine to suit.
Lately for me is the last 15 years. the quality of their intakes seem to be getting worse not better.
I use a garden variety of there intakes for many different applications and I find that every single intake regardless of engine make needs some attention to them. Since the commonality of stock production heads is gone for the most part with the exception of resto style builds when combined with aftermarket heads there is a need to machine everything to get as close to perfect mating as possible. I recently had an Lt1 MPI intake that could never have been used regardless of how much welding and machining would be done it was so bad it had a 3/8" twist end to end and the flanges were banana'd so bad they would have needed welding to repair yet it passed inspection and was boxed up and sent to the supplier for resale.

I have just resolved myself to the fact they all need correction regardless. as time goes by there is less and less of a chance for a bolt on intake.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
hondo383
Pro
Pro

Post by hondo383 »

Getting off topic from op but..
We call it banana ing at our shop too lol
Usually count on .007 to .018 bow in one face then sometimes a crown on the other side or reverse banana and of course fixing the angles. Other shops and customers say they have no issues i laugh
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

It would be interesting to see how Edelbrock fixtures and machines those to achieve this level of "meets spec".
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

With the way modern manufacturing is heading towards, inventory is a no no by the bean counters way of doing things. Probably the issues you all are having is due to the small batches being pushed through the process at a high rate of speed. Intake is cast and dropped out of the mould and 2 days later it's in a box headed for Summit racing's shelf. Castings don't get a chance to lay around and fully stress relieve. They probably are straight and flat the day they cut them.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

https://www.buddybarcasting.com/home.html. You guys know buddy bar is still manufacturing some of the intakes out there I think even some of Edelbrock stuff.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Just to get back with the results of the work on the intake the shop took .030 off the rails and .050 off the intake flanges,installed new gasket and now things are back to normal.I also went with a different intake gasket one with silicone bead around the ports.Thanks for the help.
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

AH! I love it when a plan comes together!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Just curious as to your method to figure out to take that much off?
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."