Flow bench results

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Re: Flow bench results

Post by n2xlr8n »

Stan Weiss wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:35 pm If I have adjustable headers and change the primary pipe length and or collector length and see an increase or decrease in et. What caused the change in et?

Stan
Pressure differentials due to wave propagation, algebraic summing, etc.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

Stan Weiss wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:35 pm If I have adjustable headers and change the primary pipe length and or collector length and see an increase or decrease in et. What caused the change in et?

Stan
It made more power? :-k
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

Frankshaft wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:36 pm

Stan
Or it made less power.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Warp Speed wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:39 pm
How do I get the right camshaft events?!?

128 of course! 8)
LOL :lol:

Randy
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

statsystems wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:50 pm
Frankshaft wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:36 pm

Stan
Or it made less power.
Right, missed the increase part.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Scotthatch wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:33 am ... if I need more HP I can up the cfm or move the closing point of the intake valve out more ... now this just deals with peak HP
Wish it was as easy as you make it sound.

Randy
Scotthatch
Pro
Pro

Post by Scotthatch »

15283197074021.jpg
15283196814700.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Glad to see Captain Obvious is posting here. :lol:

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Warp speed did you miss my question about the exhaust and scavenge
Scotthatch
Pro
Pro

Post by Scotthatch »

randy331 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:10 pm
Scotthatch wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:33 am ... if I need more HP I can up the cfm or move the closing point of the intake valve out more ... now this just deals with peak HP

Randy

Everyone that has pulled heads and ported them to gain power is doing so to up the cfm flow not to change some wave characteristic .... when you add high ratio rockers and gain power why is it helping? More flow from peak lift? Changing cam specs? Or did it change the waveform?

You guys are so hung up on the cool idea of how to refine a engine you have forgotten the bread and butter of how it works most of the time .....
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

Scotthatch wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:57 pm

Randy

Everyone that has pulled heads and ported them to gain power is doing so to up the cfm flow not to change some wave characteristic .... when you add high ratio rockers and gain power why is it helping? More flow from peak lift? Changing cam specs? Or did it change the waveform?

You guys are so hung up on the cool idea of how to refine a engine you have forgotten the bread and butter of how it works most of the time .....

I have ported heads that flowed LESS and made a good bit more power. A Stage IV Chrysler is one example of an head like that.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Randy

Take a look at cgarb s 421 vs mine, our IVC are the same and his heads flow more than mine, why does mine make more power ?
If your theory about more cfm and later IVC always making more power is right, his should be making more.

Randy
Scotthatch
Pro
Pro

Post by Scotthatch »

randy331 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:02 pm

Randy

Take a look at cgarb s 421 vs mine, our IVC are the same and his heads flow more than mine, why does mine make more power ?
If your theory about more cfm and later IVC always making more power is right, his should be making more.

Randy

Is the flow quality the same ? Does the intake support the flow ? Does the carb support the flow? Is the timing the same ? Is it having a burn problem with the fuel ? Was it tested differently?

What it shows is the potential of the engine power you can be lower if things are not correct ....

I posted lots of dyno tests where the HP was dead on
Frankshaft
Guru
Guru

Post by Frankshaft »

Define flow quality please.
Scotthatch
Pro
Pro

Post by Scotthatch »

Frankshaft wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:23 pm Define flow quality please.
When you flow a head just because you hit a number does not mean the air is moving smooth and clean if it is rough on the bench it will stall on the motor ..