SBC Head intake port shape

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Hap
SBC Head intake port shape

Post by Hap »

Was trying to pick the brain of my head guy the other day. He mentioned that intake ports on non canted valve SBC heads have angled floors (side to side).
This pertains to 1st gen SBC heads, non vortec.
He said the angled floor is an intentional design and not dependent on the intake manifold design.

Would appreciate any information you all are willing to share on this.

This is totally new to me as the 23 degree heads I've previously ported with templates (461, Dart 180s, 200, GM Bowtie); recall 4 of the intake floors have some angle and the other 4 were close to flat.
But all of these heads were never flowed before and after, so I was porting in the dark so to speak.
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Re: SBC Head intake port shape

Post by JoePorting »

I like flat but have seen some people use angled floors. I haven't tried or flowed angle floored ports, but don't think there's much of a difference. Chad has some interesting floors. Maybe he can post a few pictures if he's still out here.
Joe Facciano
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

JoePorting wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:14 am I like flat but have seen some people use angled floors. I haven't tried or flowed angle floored ports, but don't think there's much of a difference. Chad has some interesting floors. Maybe he can post a few pictures if he's still out here.
I think he's gone from here unfortunately.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

All the heads I have seen have an angle to the floor near the short turn. even the early 283 2 barrel heads.
I found if i flatten the floor or take the angle out i get more fuel wash against the chamber near the spark plug..
Kind of lost the hook and swirl.
Leave the angle and I do not need to kick the chamber out as far near the spark plug on the intake valve side.

I still kick the chamber out.. but I leave as much slant in the short turn in intake side as i can.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

The floor over the short turn on these Heads you speak of has that tilt to it to speed up the air flow on that push rod side of the port.
What's going on is that high velocity air wants to go straight and not curve back over to the push rod side of the floor and short turn.
This means less air is passing over that side of the short turn, this lesser amount of air is flowing at a slower velocity so this lower titled floor shape speeds the air up to better match what's going over the short turn from the center of the floor back on over to the straight / common wall.
The net result is more air flow.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Hap

Post by Hap »

Appreciate the information!
Having the floors on the short side higher makes sense now.
The specific heads are Trick Flow Super 23s; 195s with CNC chambers.
From what these old eyes can tell, floors on the outer two runners are flatter vs. the inner, so maybe Trick Flow did this on purpose?