Edelbrock AVS2

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

amc fan
Expert
Expert

Edelbrock AVS2

Post by amc fan »

Anyone try the new AVS2 with annular boosters?
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Re: Edelbrock AVS2

Post by cjperformance »

amc fan wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:18 pm Anyone try the new AVS2 with annular boosters?
Yes only 1 as yet , on a mild street 351SBF. Worked spot on OOTB with just an idle mix and speed tweek. Drives really well and plugs look nice but will be fitting a wide band o2 soon so will get another look at it then.
Craig.
Powertrip
Pro
Pro

Post by Powertrip »

I asked Edelbrock last year if they were coming out with any new carburetors, they lied. :x Would be nice if they came out with a Victor series of carbs, high flow, no chokes, and annular boosters.
The price of progress is trouble.
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

I was wondering if they will sell the boosters separately, and if they will fit older carbs for a performance upgrade.
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

Powertrip wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:26 pm I asked Edelbrock last year if they were coming out with any new carburetors, they lied. :x Would be nice if they came out with a Victor series of carbs, high flow, no chokes, and annular boosters.
Would be even better if they would just forget about the AFB clones and bring back the Q-jets they manufactured for a brief period. :D
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

Wow....only 30 years behind Holley with this “new” booster....
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

The original design of the AFB/Edelbrock booster was so good, they didn't need to change the design 30 years later to match a Holley Annular Booster......

A mate bought the new AVS2, & I had a close look at it. Edel have very cleverly done the AB modification, & looks like they used the original booster. They simple bored out the venturi ring & fitted a narrow sleeve with annular holes. I doubt that air flow will be reduced by much, unlike brand H & clones....
If anything airflow might be increased slightly because there is no nozzle protruding into the air stream. A very comprehensive tuning manual came with the carb.

Personally, I think these AB Edel carbs are more of a marketing gimmick & I doubt there will much, if any, improvement in throttle response. The efficient original booster design, air bleed & compact well design, coupled with the close proximity of the main jets, gives them great throttle response.
shiftbyear

Post by shiftbyear »

I called the Edelbrock tech line and asked if they planned on selling the booster separately. They flat out said "NO". They didn't give a reason.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Years ago, I was so hoping that E-Brock would become our old carb. go to company!

Them having all of them except Holley's.

Q-Jet's, AFB's, AVS's, Thermo-Quad's, Stromberg 94's and 97's, Carter 2G's and 2GC's, WCFB's, the odd Autolite's and such, but it wasn't meant to be with the Q-Jet getting thrown away!

I think Speedy Bill ended up with the Stromberg's and they sell for a pound of flesh!

pdq67
mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Post by mbrooks »

cjperformance wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:08 pm
amc fan wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:18 pm Anyone try the new AVS2 with annular boosters?
Yes only 1 as yet , on a mild street 351SBF. Worked spot on OOTB with just an idle mix and speed tweek. Drives really well and plugs look nice but will be fitting a wide band o2 soon so will get another look at it then.
I'm looking at doing this carb on either a 408 or 351, did you get the O2 sensor hooked up and how did it read? Thx

Tired of dickin with the holleys.
Diodedog
Pro
Pro

Post by Diodedog »

stealth wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:46 am Wow....only 30 years behind Holley with this “new” booster....
And 60 years ahead of Holley making a carb that doesn't leak and doesn't warp.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Diodedog wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:26 am
stealth wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:46 am Wow....only 30 years behind Holley with this “new” booster....
If they would simply design a high-flow air horn for the AFB style, without metering rods for the race only crowd.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Hmmm...so it’s not just me then
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

novadude wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:01 pmWould be even better if they would just forget about the AFB clones and bring back the Q-jets they manufactured for a brief period. :D
I think there is zero chance of that.

Story I heard is that the Edelbrock Q-Jets only existed because Carter had Q-jet molds 'n' dies 'n' tooling from years of "Quadrajet by Carter" sub-contracting to GM. When Edelbrock contracted with Weber for the AFB and AVS designs, the Q-jets kind of came along for the ride.

When the Q-jets were discontinued by Edelbrock, the Carter-based dies and tooling were destroyed. Nobody is going to re-create that tooling, so unless GM has--and is willing to part with--Rochester Q-Jet tooling, the Q-jet is done forever.

Cliff Ruggles was not overly impressed with the Edelbrock Q-jets, noting that the calibration changed even though part numbers remained the same. I think there were also various issues with QA, although it seems to me that a new casting is going to have advantages over forty-year old castings.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:00 am
If they would simply design a high-flow air horn for the AFB style, without metering rods for the race only crowd.
That would be great!
Craig.