Dodge Demon VS Corvette ZR1

Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

gmc406

Re: Dodge Demon VS Corvette ZR1

Post by gmc406 »

Newold1 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:37 pm MY take is the off the showroom cars today are going over the top and were all gonna pay for this street speed insanity as more yellow vinyl blankets are spread over the crazies who fly around the streets and highways at race track speeds with no harnesses, roll bars or helmets on roads that are at best designed for 70-80mph speeds max. with no crash protection features!

If one wants to drive like this and go these speeds. Keep your good old grocery getter that's reasonably insurable and put those dollars down on buying or building a real race car and go to a track that's designed with proper safety equipment and features to keep you alive after most crashes at speed and get your 5" pecker hard that way!
Bingo, I couldn’t have said it better myself.

On another note, these new cars are a beautiful work of art no doubt. We can all agree on that. I suspect it’s only a matter of time before some sort of government regulations come into affect that put a dampener on things. Why should a 16 year old with very little driving experience be able to take these 600 plus hp cars for a joy ride at ridiculous speeds on the street, when I’m carting around with my wife and 4 kids? We’ve all seen it before and it actually upsets me.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Newold1 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:37 pm MY take is the off the showroom cars today are going over the top and were all gonna pay for this street speed insanity as more yellow vinyl blankets are spread over the crazies who fly around the streets and highways at race track speeds with no harnesses, roll bars or helmets on roads that are at best designed for 70-80mph speeds max. with no crash protection features!

If one wants to drive like this and go these speeds. Keep your good old grocery getter that's reasonably insurable and put those dollars down on buying or building a real race car and go to a track that's designed with proper safety equipment and features to keep you alive after most crashes at speed and get your 5" pecker hard that way!
For the most part I agree. It’s kind of scary that any idiot with a little money can go in and buy 5-6-7 hundred or even 1000 HP right off the showroom floor...yet just spend a day driving around Dallas and the surrounding cities and look at how many people can’t handle 200 HP responsibly...or safely
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

gmc406 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:35 pm

Bingo, I couldn’t have said it better myself.

On another note, these new cars are a beautiful work of art no doubt. We can all agree on that. I suspect it’s only a matter of time before some sort of government regulations come into affect that put a dampener on things. Why should a 16 year old with very little driving experience be able to take these 600 plus hp cars for a joy ride at ridiculous speeds on the street, when I’m carting around with my wife and 4 kids? We’ve all seen it before and it actually upsets me.
Why should they be able to? Because this is the United States of America, not Nazi Germany. If we don't want 16 yr olds driving 600-800hp cars, there's only a few options. Stop making them or stop giving 16 yr olds a license.

Any other solution wouldn't be a solution. It'd be equivalent to telling criminals they can't use guns because they're criminals. No one cares. They use em anyway. Same goes for 16 yr olds and high hp cars. If the cars are available, they'll drive them whether they're allowed to or not.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

I live in a rural area and don't drive to work every day so I don't see too many new hyper cars...It seems all the new Vettes I do see are driven by retired guys in no particular hurry..The speeders are in jacked up 4x4 trucks or various V6 powered sedans .....
And besides cars, an inexperienced rider can purchase a late model bike with over 150 HP at the rear wheel for less than 6 grand that can run away from 97 percent of the cars...And if you have 10-20 grand, there's about 15 new bike models than run in the 10's and at least 5 can run 9's right off the dealers floor ,no drag slicks required...Of course a bike requires more skill than a car to use all the power so foolish riders tend to crash but bike crashes make less headlines than car crashes..
This is the great age of performance, enjoy it ...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

You guys are missing my real point here.

I for one dislike with a passion big government or legislation that tells me how to live my life or what we should buy or not!

I really don't give a rats ass that STUPID car owners go out and buy and drive 500-1000HP vehicles on the street of any kind or whether they wrap themselves and the car around a pole or bridge abutment!!

That is conditioned on the idea that they don't wrap that hunk of hot metal and plastic around my ass, the good smart public or members of my family!

My prophecy here is that as more of these incredible powerhouses are sold and placed in the hands of stupid death wish idiots who have had no hot car driving training and do their testing and hijinks on regular roadways the quantity of violent injurious crashes and deaths will rapidly increase quickly to a point where "The Swamp Creatures and Lawyers" will write and mandate the legislation to take our choice and freedom choices away very quickly after they have been "Swamp Lobbied" by the insurance industry and "Leaners" out there looking for "Causes" !! As John Wayne said " YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID"! :wink:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
JDR Performance
Pro
Pro

Post by JDR Performance »

Having choices is good. Personal accountability is also good. Stupid people will always find a way to hurt themselves. Just read the Darwin Awards which by the way is pretty funny. These cars available now are amazing. Enjoy it!
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Just had Demon at our local track. Runs 6.7 in 1/8 out of box.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

back in 1967 i could not sell my 1966 450HP 427 corvette because the people who wanted to buy it could not afford the car insurance as it was more a month than the car payment. the same will happen now if a lot of these high HP cars end up in wrecks.
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

Don't think you'll find to many 16 yr. olds driving these type cars if they drive at all! This is not like the good ol' 60-70's when kids wanted a license to drive what cool set of wheels they had to the drive-in scene. Plus these new factory hot rods are WAY to exspensive to buy for Joe average.

Back in the day it was nothing for a part time high school kid to save some coin and with a little help from parents get a nice 340 Dart,Duster or Demon to cruise/street race with. Not so today.

I see more motorcycles on the road now than hot muscle cars.

For me I bought some land in the country instead of some mega HP new car that only goes down in value.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Im the president of our local drag track. We see this all the time. We had a guy last year never been on track ever wanting to drive 1000hp turbo car. Ahhh let me think about that!!!nope!
Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru

Post by Dan Timberlake »

pamotorman wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:55 am back in 1967 i could not sell my 1966 450HP 427 corvette because the people who wanted to buy it could not afford the car insurance as it was more a month than the car payment. the same will happen now if a lot of these high HP cars end up in wrecks.
Yeah, I'm kind of surprised "it" has lasted this long. Make that VERY surprised. Big motors in intermediates were "self limited" by GM in the mid /late 60s. Maybe it is the change in target customer base, who pay the insurance willingly if not gladly.

Disclaimer : I don't have any clue what the difference in insurance is.
My opinion is the modern design of $acrificial plastic fore and aft, unique headlights, and etc is a conspiracy by automakers and insurance companies anyhow.
The goofy-at-the-time 2.5 and 5 mph "crash" bumpers and price limits to to repair laws of the 70s and early 80s were supposedly modified and eventually suspended "because" the cost/benefit to consumers reversed.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

427dart wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:36 am Don't think you'll find to many 16 yr. olds driving these type cars if they drive at all! This is not like the good ol' 60-70's when kids wanted a license to drive what cool set of wheels they had to the drive-in scene. Plus these new factory hot rods are WAY to exspensive to buy for Joe average.

Back in the day it was nothing for a part time high school kid to save some coin and with a little help from parents get a nice 340 Dart,Duster or Demon to cruise/street race with. Not so today.

I see more motorcycles on the road now than hot muscle cars.

For me I bought some land in the country instead of some mega HP new car that only goes down in value.
Same here. According to the county tax assessor I should be able to sell in a few years and buy my own tropical island 🙄

Drive by a high school in an area where there is money...some of the cars sitting in the student parking lots is pretty disgusting. Kids and young adults seem to have a LOT more expendable income than they did when I was that age.

Even with my wife and I having near perfect driving records, I about had a heart attack when I seen how much insurance was on our 2017 Expedition. I can’t even imagine what some of these people pay for high end SUV’s and muscle cars
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

Uh oh.. I feel another major rant coming on. Same old stupid dumb assed arguments. All this stuff has been hashed out just about every single decade as car and engine capabilities increase. And what's surprising is many posting here are older than me!

If you think far more people are killing themselves in todays cars because they're faster than ever?.. you're being completely naive and ignorant of how many people actually died in "fast cars" of the 50's, 60,s and 70's. Christ.. they didn't even have or mandate seatbelt usage that far back! People were getting brain damaged from steel dashboards and guillotined by their damned glovebox doors! Not to mention that the old solid steel bodies and full frame cars were built like tanks and many weren't even totaled out after the occupants brains were tossed about like scrambled eggs during those old yesteryear crashes. Total opposite with today's tech and crumple zone designs. Of course side airbags and door curtains still won't save you from that sudden stop against a tree or telephone pole but that's not the average crash either.

So, it's totally proportional and we need to also take into account the media coverage's microscope type focus on such events in today's world. You see it FAARRRR more because they show it more(ever learn anything about webpage traffic/hitcounts and the way most websites make their money?), whereas yester-years major TV and national newspaper coverage generally didn't tell you anything about lil' Johnny jr. and his 3 highschool buddies dying in their old beater Buick Skylark with shitty half bald bias ply tires and half used up partially inoperable brakes while having a few beers out on some backroad USA.

I've been in and around(street racing) fast cars(some VERY fast twin turbo's) and hardcore gearheads all my life. Aside from some over-priveledged rich daddy's boys(or dope swingers on their self-indulged fast tracks to success) who get handed the keys before they can even drift a car around dirt roads.. I'm FAAARRRR more afraid of the average unskilled driver doing half those speeds who can't(usually because they're tailgating) or don't care to look beyond the pavement or car/truck/suv directly in front of them. Because all the more serious guys and gal's driving far more potent machinery than the person in the next lane I've ever been around don't camp out on their damned cell phones while we're doing a 60-130mph pulls on the freeway. Yeah, speed kills and accidents will always be part of life, but for gods sake.. LOOK AROUND YOU.. to help gain some perspective. Do you see more hotrod/supercar crashes or regular vehicles? If you took a world-poll you'd see far more of it has to do with unskilled, intoxicated, and ignorant inattentive driving than the relationship with power under the hood. Most people that have these types of cars have some level of respect for their increased capabilities and consider them a hard earned treasure.. compared to the wives and daughters and inept dodo's who simply put gas in and go speeding down the roadways in their average POS's hurrying to work, the grocery store, yoga class or local bar. And many are doing it in heavier trucks and SUV's that are now more powerful than ever before. People think that just because the engine is loping along at 1,800rpm @ 65mph.. they're out of danger compared to some hotrodded eurocar speeding around the roadways. At least that eurocar idiot likely has two hands on the wheel while working his way through traffic and has some concept of the physics involved if something goes wrong compared to some people/MANY who apparently think that having at least 1 finger on the wheel is more than sufficient because today's cars practically drive themselves.

So, after all that ranting I'll end with this. BLAME THE GOVERNMENT! Because after all is said and done, it's the lack of physical training to actually learn how to handle a car in a reactive, stressful(rush hour), or high paced environment that is killing far more people in run of the mill plain-jane cars, trucks and suv's than factory hotrods and hypercars ever will. So long as the person can obey basic laws and parallel park?.. they are freely handed a drivers license to ignorantly and naively hurtle their 1.5-3 ton vehicles past blind corners/driveways, over/down hills, and along the roadways at night while in less than ideal weather conditions. But.. I guess they figure it's our inherent right as Americans and everyone has to be responsible for their own actions. And the ones who get it wrong or drive negligently will have to let the legal system and insurance companies sort it out from there. IMHO, it's the untrained driver full of complacency and ignorance that I worry about 100 times more than some idiot who thinks he has a super-license off a video game. BUT, on the other hand.. that idiot sometimes takes out a whole family when he runs into something at well over 100mph compared to the average fender bender who walks away. Either way.. it's a numbers game and the average cars with average drivers will always easily take the crown for lives lost. :cry:

Sorry for that long winded rant.. but it irks me in a really bad way when the cars themselves get blamed moreso than the unskilled ignorance of the people controlling them. I see and drive next to all these idiots every day of my life and the beat goes on. Only now the government is continually working to outsmart them with radar/camera proximity warnings, electronic stability control and anti-lock brakes. Nothing but more bandaids being applied to the festering sore of ignorance and complacency known as human nature.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

One of my exgirlfriends from the 80's sent me a pic of her youngest daughter who just graduated college with her new boyfriend and next to them is his new 635hp vette. Early 20's with a good job. It happens.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

Carnut1 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:40 pm One of my exgirlfriends from the 80's sent me a pic of her youngest daughter who just graduated college with her new boyfriend and next to them is his new 635hp vette. Early 20's with a good job. It happens.
the wife and i left on our honeymoon in 1959 in a brand new 1959 corvette. we also had a new house but were we were engaged for 5 years saving up for the down payment on the house. back then you needed 25% down to get a mortgage and they did not count your wife's income. things are a lot easier today