Post by sanfordandson »

That Vette is an animal. Can't wait to drive one. I always loved the Z06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... FBSxH5l-sE
travis
Guru
Guru
Re: Dodge Demon VS Corvette ZR1

Post by travis »

One of our vendors at work just got a 2018 ZL-1 Camaro...immediately added headers, exhaust, and a tune and picked up 60hp at the rear wheels...668 total. I went for a quick ride in it a few days ago 😳 I couldn’t even fathom more HP in a street car
NewbVetteGuy
Expert
Expert

Post by NewbVetteGuy »

720 lb weight difference... It's not a small difference.

The Dodge Demon's use of the AC to chill the intake air charge in its track mode really shows the level of enthusiasm out of the Dodge Engineers' for that car. It's such a coolly, frivolous feature. There's just such a scrappy track rat vibe put off by the Demon that I like. I think the brand and target consumer for both cars are pretty different.

Adam
dirtracr5
Guru
Guru

Post by dirtracr5 »

I've driven a number of Z06 vettes. I'll be in a zr1 late this summer for a drive. Cant imagine needed 100 more hp in a street car.

Can't wait to drive it.
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

NewbVetteGuy wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:32 pm 720 lb weight difference... It's not a small difference.

The Dodge Demon's use of the AC to chill the intake air charge in its track mode really shows the level of enthusiasm out of the Dodge Engineers' for that car. It's such a coolly, frivolous feature. There's just such a scrappy track rat vibe put off by the Demon that I like. I think the brand and target consumer for both cars are pretty different.

Adam
Right on target. One is fast everywhere.. the other's just meant go fast in straight lines. Imagine what the Vette could do if GM didn't care about corners.
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

But how do you hook it all up on the street? Have a buddy with a twin turbo 2016 Mustang 5.0 that is supposed to be around 900-1000 at the flywheel and it blows the big tires off at any speed. on the street. Automatic car too! He's a bit scared of it to run it on the strip.
dirtracr5
Guru
Guru

Post by dirtracr5 »

427dart wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 4:51 pm But how do you hook it all up on the street? Have a buddy with a twin turbo 2016 Mustang 5.0 that is supposed to be around 900-1000 at the flywheel and it blows the big tires off at any speed. on the street. Automatic car too! He's a bit scared of it to run it on the strip.
The only place I could hook up a stock z06 was on a road course. Like you said on the street you can light them up at will.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Is high hp useable in the States these days ? Over here it's really frustrating. Even my DD with 150 hp is too much at the speeds were allowed to drive here, the speed bumps, the speed camera's, the red lights,....
dirtracr5
Guru
Guru

Post by dirtracr5 »

Belgian1979 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:04 pm Is high hp useable in the States these days ? Over here it's really frustrating. Even my DD with 150 hp is too much at the speeds were allowed to drive here, the speed bumps, the speed camera's, the red lights,....
much easier...especially is the less populated areas of the country.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

2 totally different cars, not sure someone would switch brands due to 1/4 mi times. THey are both impressive but who is on the track all the time finding their limits anyways-
it blows the big tires off at any speed. on the street. Automatic car too! He's a bit scared of it to run it on the strip.
Sounds like he has never been down a prepped track on a good tire? He ought to try it, he will change his tune

That much power on the street is pretty much useless. Nice bragging rights but thats about it.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

i just watched a video of a ZR-1 on a chassis dyno making 700 HP with just a X pipe change. http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/05/201 ... yno-video/
engineczar
Guru
Guru

Post by engineczar »

dirtracr5 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:43 pm
Belgian1979 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:04 pm Is high hp useable in the States these days ? Over here it's really frustrating. Even my DD with 150 hp is too much at the speeds were allowed to drive here, the speed bumps, the speed camera's, the red lights,....
much easier...especially is the less populated areas of the country.
There are stretches near me like that. 10+ miles of straight road, no hills, and seldom any other cars. The biggest danger is hitting wildlife on the road
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

What speeds?

The highway into work for me every morning is 75mph. The 130 toll way by here is 85 mph limit. Many of the two lane back country two lane highways are 70/75mph, and they aren't even divided.

As mentioned earlier, hitting wildlife is a real risk sometimes, though. Dawn and dusk are dangerous to be pushing it.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

when i was driving BB corvettes, chevelles and 500+ HP pick ups people used to say why do you need all that HP. i would tell them it is like having a 8 inch pecker, you may not get to use it all the time but it is sure nice to know it is there. :D
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

MY take is the off the showroom cars today are going over the top and were all gonna pay for this street speed insanity as more yellow vinyl blankets are spread over the crazies who fly around the streets and highways at race track speeds with no harnesses, roll bars or helmets on roads that are at best designed for 70-80mph speeds max. with no crash protection features!

If one wants to drive like this and go these speeds. Keep your good old grocery getter that's reasonably insurable and put those dollars down on buying or building a real race car and go to a track that's designed with proper safety equipment and features to keep you alive after most crashes at speed and get your 5" pecker hard that way!
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink: