Valve seat materials

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

FortescueTech
Valve seat materials

Post by FortescueTech »

Valve seat materials, I've done a few searches on what people are using for their valve seats but with little results, has anyone done any testing or know of where I could find information on such? even better whats your experience with different materials, have you noticed any thing worth noting or is beryllium copper the answer to everything?
dennis h
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Valve seat materials

Post by dennis h »

What is the application?

dennis h
sbcharlie
Pro
Pro

Post by sbcharlie »

mold star 90. or mold max work well with ti valves
Galon

Post by Galon »

Please don't take this as a sales pitch. I use a lot of SBI products. Their catalog has some good information in it. They also have very good tech line
1-888-843-7328 which I use for questions like yours. I myself would not offer any recommendations or information on something this critical. Only a good source. As for copper beryllium I use it to replace an existing copper beryllium. Also may health hazards.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

FortescueTech wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 5:15 am Valve seat materials, I've done a few searches on what people are using for their valve seats but with little results, has anyone done any testing or know of where I could find information on such? even better whats your experience with different materials, have you noticed any thing worth noting or is beryllium copper the answer to everything?
Application is everything as to what seat material is best for that particular job.

Stainless, Titanium, Inconel or O.E.M. type material valves, whatever fuel is to be used, how it will be run and heat transfer requirements can make a huge difference.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
FortescueTech

Post by FortescueTech »

dennis h wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:46 am What is the application?

dennis h
Hi Dennis, there's actually a couple different applications, both being twin cam Japanese engines, an RB25 and SR20 both will be running stainless hollow stem valves, both will be N/A however one will run on a 98 pump gas while the other will be running E85.

cheers

Logan
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

FortescueTech wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 5:07 am
dennis h wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:46 am What is the application?

dennis h
Hi Dennis, there's actually a couple different applications, both being twin cam Japanese engines, an RB25 and SR20 both will be running stainless hollow stem valves, both will be N/A however one will run on a 98 pump gas while the other will be running E85.

cheers

Logan

If that's your application use ductile iron seats. You don't need Bc or Nb seats for what you are doing.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

FortescueTech wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 5:07 am one will run on a 98 pump gas
"98" sounds like you're not using the R + M / 2 "pump octane" as used in the USA. Is this correct?
dennis h
HotPass
HotPass

Post by dennis h »

[/quote]

cheers

Logan
[/quote]

Logan, I have no experience I can share with you for those applications. However I know a guy (Claude @ C.H.E. Precision 1-805-499-8885) who is my go to expert on valve seat materials who has done his best to keep me out of trouble. He may want to know the valve material (there is lots of different kinds of stainless) the manufacturer of the valves, racing or street use, etc.,etc.
have a nice day,
dennis h
Larry Widmer
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by Larry Widmer »

When we were doing all of the Nissan Aussie V8 Supercar heads, the only exhaust seat material we found that wasn't terribly eroded by the mandated E85 fuel, was Moldstar 90. I can also tell you that E85 will eat Beryllium Copper for lunch....even on the intake side. We used custom Durabond 70000 series seats on the intake, and Moldstar on the exhaust-side.
A few of you know that we're casting our own Honda S2K and K Series heads now. The seats I've had made for these heads are custom Durabond "Killer-Bee" seats which are copper infiltrated. Our testing has shown that they're really good in every anticipated application...
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Larry puts up a post at about one year intervals, but they are always worth waiting for! =D>
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Galon wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:18 am Please don't take this as a sales pitch. I use a lot of SBI products. Their catalog has some good information in it. They also have very good tech line
Have to second this. Pretty much the only seats I use. They are not a well known name to the general public but all of their valve train parts seem to be a step above the typical aftermarket.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
dennis h
HotPass
HotPass

Post by dennis h »

"Larry Widmer
When we were doing all of the Nissan Aussie V8 Supercar heads, the only exhaust seat material we found that wasn't terribly eroded by the mandated E85 fuel, was Moldstar 90. I can also tell you that E85 will eat Beryllium Copper for lunch....even on the intake side. We used custom Durabond 70000 series seats on the intake, and Moldstar on the exhaust-side.
A few of you know that we're casting our own Honda S2K and K Series heads now. The seats I've had made for these heads are custom Durabond "Killer-Bee" seats which are copper infiltrated. Our testing has shown that they're really good in every anticipated application..."

Thanks Larry, that is good to know real experience.
dennis h