Engine machine shop destroyed my block

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Re: Engine machine shop destroyed my block

Post by Warp Speed »

Kind of off subject, but relative. How do.you measure a 200* cylinder wall with any accuracy?
That was the big problem we faced back in the hot honing craze days! Lol
Not saying there might not be something to it, but the challenges are real foe sure.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Warp Speed wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 5:53 am Kind of off subject, but relative. How do.you measure a 200* cylinder wall with any accuracy?
That was the big problem we faced back in the hot honing craze days! Lol
Not saying there might not be something to it, but the challenges are real for sure.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

Was it actually hot honed as in sealed with heated liquid circulating through it or just the tq plate?

On that small of a bore it's more critical to be on the money than if its a larger bore , like in the 4.250" range.. being .001" over spec you can get away with
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

I'M probably wrong or missed it

is the clearance not different for hot v cold hone as in heated water in the water jacket , and therefore the clearance given on the box would be for the average machinist who is doing it for the average punter on cold hone and this too is a factor ,
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Sorry, damn phone! Lol
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

Warp Speed wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:19 am Sorry, damn phone! Lol
Sure.....
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Headguy wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:24 am
Warp Speed wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:19 am Sorry, damn phone! Lol
Sure.....
Maybe the tard operating it too...........! Hahaha
MotionMachine
Guru
Guru

Post by MotionMachine »

I always question someone setting their Mitutoyo or other bore gages with a mic. It's completely operator sensitive for one and how accurate is that mic? If the thread adjustment is loose (mic has backlash), it may measure right on with a standard as the backlash is taken out when the standard is snug between the spindle and the anvil. But if it's just screwed out to 4.280" and locked, is it exactly to size with backlash not removed?
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Now you all have me really curious as to bore clearances, will a bore that is .0004 or .0007 really cause an engine any real hp problems or sealing and wear problems.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

JodyB wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:21 pm Put the tighter pistons close to the water pump, loose ones farthest away. Run it.
That is backwards ... a colder running cylinder wall will want more initial clearance.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

MotionMachine wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:24 am I always question someone setting their Mitutoyo or other bore gages with a mic. It's completely operator sensitive for one and how accurate is that mic? If the thread adjustment is loose (mic has backlash), it may measure right on with a standard as the backlash is taken out when the standard is snug between the spindle and the anvil. But if it's just screwed out to 4.280" and locked, is it exactly to size with backlash not removed?
That's why you torque it against your finger and use a mic stand

crazy but I was told this when I was a student at 14 when I worked in a machine shop...in the 70's
Last edited by gmrocket on Mon May 14, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

1972ho wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:58 am Now you all have me really curious as to bore clearances, will a bore that is .0004 or .0007 really cause an engine any real hp problems or sealing and wear problems.
Maybe not, but his was more than twice that extra...which is more critical on very small bores like he is dealing with.
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

1972ho wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:58 am Now you all have me really curious as to bore clearances, will a bore that is .0004 or .0007 really cause an engine any real hp problems or sealing and wear problems.
Lol, did you add another zero again? Just remember, in fractional decimal representation, there's one less zero! 1 thousand = 1000 -> 3 zeros. 1 thousandth = 0.001 -> 2 zeros.

:wink:

Or I suppose you could say one of the three zeros lives on left side of the decimal... :-k