Composite F/P push rod with Crower roller cam

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

GasCan
Composite F/P push rod with Crower roller cam

Post by GasCan »

Question on fuel pump pushrod selection,

I have a fresh motor I want to run in and I have a couple new Howard's #94475 Billet Fuel Pump Pushrods sitting here. Engine is a forged 11:1 SBC and it has a new Crower 00471 hydraulic roller installed. Not sure but I think this is a cast core and was wondering if I could use this composite fuel pump shaft with this cam core, or can these only be paired with billet cam cores? If ok to use this composite shaft, can they be relied on for a street motor?

I can't find any info on this 00471 cam to say whether it's billet or cast? Feedback appreciated.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Re: Composite F/P push rod with Crower roller cam

Post by steve cowan »

Gascan,
I have been using a Howard's composite pushrods for a few years now,
Steet/ strip stuff with Holley 200 GPH on SBC motors
Used on billet cores and cast FT cams
Never had a problem,just run it you will be fine,I actually won't go back to a brass deal
Same with composite distributor gear,if you have the distributor height correct they last a longtime.
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

A cast core is readily identified looking between the lobes. If it looks cast it is. Therefore a stock F/P rod is good. Save the composite for a billet cam.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

-but it should be noted that some billet cams are available with cast gears...
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I ran the composite on a cast cam and only got a few miles out of it, went back to a hollow steel tipped and been good. Glad I caught it b4 it got stuck, I was changing from a carter Strip to the Street pump(not that I like/recommend the carter pumps either much). I don't rem the miles but it was less than 100 I'm pretty sure. I buy some high end parts once in awhile just to see how they handle the street, this time didn't.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

BOOT wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:25 pm I ran the composite on a cast cam and only got a few miles out of it, went back to a hollow steel tipped and been good. Glad I caught it b4 it got stuck, I was changing from a carter Strip to the Street pump(not that I like/recommend the carter pumps either much). I don't rem the miles but it was less than 100 I'm pretty sure. I buy some high end parts once in awhile just to see how they handle the street, this time didn't.
Boot,
why do you think that happened ??
i have done over 500 miles in last couple of months with my 327 sbc and i checked it after reading your same post in another thread,mine was still like new,i wish i measured it before i originally installed but did not think of that at the time.
was it worn at the cam side or the fuelpump side?
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

steve cowan wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:27 pm
BOOT wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:25 pm I ran the composite on a cast cam and only got a few miles out of it, went back to a hollow steel tipped and been good. Glad I caught it b4 it got stuck, I was changing from a carter Strip to the Street pump(not that I like/recommend the carter pumps either much). I don't rem the miles but it was less than 100 I'm pretty sure. I buy some high end parts once in awhile just to see how they handle the street, this time didn't.
Boot,
why do you think that happened ??
i have done over 500 miles in last couple of months with my 327 sbc and i checked it after reading your same post in another thread,mine was still like new,i wish i measured it before i originally installed but did not think of that at the time.
was it worn at the cam side or the fuelpump side?
idk why the composite was a bit worn and starting to mushroom on the cam end if I rem right. Cam looked good nothing weird. Could of just been a bad one, seems my luck more than others.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!