General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Ratu
Expert
Expert
Chrysler and NASCAR and Pro-stock

Post by Ratu »

Can anyone help?

I was having a discussion with a retired engine guy from BMW. We got to talking about Chrysler hemi engines, as one does from time to time. Afterwards, when I was driving home I got to thinking about the Chrysler hemis. I remember the second generation 426 hemi at NASCAR and how that era came to an end. I also recall how Chrysler departed from NASCAR for an extended period and that they also departed from Pro-Stock.

Fast forward to when Chrysler announced they were going to have another go at Pro-Stock and also at NASCAR. Now what I recall is this. At that time, they readied a whole new engine design for their Pro-Stock effort. That made sense, as the old 2nd gen hemi had certain limitations for the intended high rpm naturally aspirated application of Pro-Stock (for one, the classic hemi combustion chamber design had some drawbacks). Chrysler were also reported to be prototyping a new small-block hemi for NASCAR competition. It was not a version of the production 3rd gen hemi as used in their passenger cars of the time, but another engine altogether. That is the engine I am interested in. No hemi returned to NASCAR, though Chrysler (Dodge) did eventually run there, but with a different design. Perhaps NASCAR was unhappy about the engine Chrysler were developing and “asked” them to field something else.

I remember reading about the NASCAR “small-block” hemi but don’t recall any of the details. Does anyone know more about this engine project or the story of what happened to it?
RamblerRebel6

Re: Chrysler and NASCAR and Pro-stock

Post by RamblerRebel6 »

That story rings a bell with me, but that about as far as I can go with remembering it.
But, as of last year (2017),apparently NASCAR is allowing the aluminum third generation Mopar hemi engines to compete with those pesky GM LS powerplants.

Here's more about that:
https://www.allpar.com/racing/NASCAR/he ... -2017.html
"Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity."--Roedy Green
427dart
Expert
Expert

Post by 427dart »

No Chryslers running NASCAR this year as they dropped out.

What IS needed is all manufacturers run a race version of what they sell in production cars and run the EXACT car the engines come in such as the REAL
Ford Mustang.Dodge Challenger or Charger and Chevy Camaro.
Nascar would find that the fans would come back too!
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

427dart wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:20 pm No Chryslers running NASCAR this year as they dropped out.

What IS needed is all manufacturers run a race version of what they sell in production cars and run the EXACT car the engines come in such as the REAL
If cubic inch restricted it would likely be a Ford show.. and what about Toyota?
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

427dart wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:20 pm..
The rumblings I've heard re NASCAR's plans are in the exact opposite direction, namely a single spec body and ditto engine...
Hard to imagine how that would appeal to manufacturers and most spectators. #-o
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
quickd100
Pro
Pro

Post by quickd100 »

If I remember correctly, Chrysler had developed the P5 for prostock truck and after a year or so the NHRA dropped the class. Mopar had a strong motor with lots of money into development and parts. They naturally wanted to use it for Nascar. When Nascar saw it was a Hemi style cylinder head they said no way.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/quickd100/9ff3c690.jpg[/img]
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Don't all the Crafstman trucks now use an LS engine despite the names on the decals?
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

exhaustgases wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 11:12 pm I know this guy that is a history book on his AMC stuff, and what he told me along time ago was when AMC started winning all the races all of the big 3 started dropping out of racing. Oh and they also in the same time period helped make convertibles illegal, you know roll over tests and the like, all until the demise of AMC, then it all came back.
What time period was that?

A local guy named Dave Miller, who I did machine work for, claimed to had a part in AMC's Indy car engine development. He had photos of those engines, one of 'em on the dyno. It had to be in the 60's because in 1970 I moved back to SD and he was here then or very shortly afterwards.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
Jeff Lee
Pro
Pro

Post by Jeff Lee »

I’m not so sure about AMC dominating NASCAR at any time, but in Trans-Am they were #2 at the end of the season by only a couple of points...which apparently did not sit well with #1 or #3 or #4! And AMC was TA champion 1971-1972 but the Big 3 did pull out of full factory sponsorships. Now did they pull out due to cost as they all said? Or was it that the didn’t want AMC kicking their butt? Maybe a little bit of both!
NHRA SS/G
1970 AMC AMX - 390 4-speed
Advanced Clutches - Red Line Racing Cams
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

427dart wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 8:20 pm No Chryslers running NASCAR this year as they dropped out.

That seems to be the hardcore fans answer to everything motorsports related lately. Fact of the matter is that changing the bodies to oem production bodies alone won't put fans in the seat whether it's Nascar or nhra. But you guys can keep repeating it and hoping it will.

Considering that none of the people that have made the suggestion do any sort of market research, haven't, and likely never will....I'd say no one has a clue whether it would actually put fans in the seats. You're just guessing. Hoping. Assuming with no verifiable information, statistics or basically anything to back it up except for what you think and feel.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
benno318
Pro
Pro

Post by benno318 »

"Speaking of AMC and Indy, member "wyrmrider" posted he was friends with Barney Navarro the Indy AMC 199 guy.

Anyone heard from wyrmrider lately, I miss his posts??

Thanks
Randy"

had been wondering the same thing... liked his posts, along with big joe
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

exhaustgases wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 11:12 pm I know this guy that is a history book on his AMC stuff, and what he told me along time ago was when AMC started winning all the races all of the big 3 started dropping out of racing. Oh and they also in the same time period helped make convertibles illegal, you know roll over tests and the like, all until the demise of AMC, then it all came back.
AMC never dominated NASCAR...AMC Matadors won about 5 races over three years in the 1970's....I believe the convertibles were gone in the 1950's
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

Krooser wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 11:57 pm Don't all the Crafstman trucks now use an LS engine despite the names on the decals?
the Toyota teams still use toyota engines.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

Ratu wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 2:47 pm Can anyone help?

I was having a discussion with a retired engine guy from BMW. We got to talking about Chrysler hemi engines, as one does from time to time. Afterwards, when I was driving home I got to thinking about the Chrysler hemis. I remember the second generation 426 hemi at NASCAR and how that era came to an end. I also recall how Chrysler departed from NASCAR for an extended period and that they also departed from Pro-Stock.

Fast forward to when Chrysler announced they were going to have another go at Pro-Stock and also at NASCAR. Now what I recall is this. At that time, they readied a whole new engine design for their Pro-Stock effort. That made sense, as the old 2nd gen hemi had certain limitations for the intended high rpm naturally aspirated application of Pro-Stock (for one, the classic hemi combustion chamber design had some drawbacks). Chrysler were also reported to be prototyping a new small-block hemi for NASCAR competition. It was not a version of the production 3rd gen hemi as used in their passenger cars of the time, but another engine altogether. That is the engine I am interested in. No hemi returned to NASCAR, though Chrysler (Dodge) did eventually run there, but with a different design. Perhaps NASCAR was unhappy about the engine Chrysler were developing and “asked” them to field something else.

I remember reading about the NASCAR “small-block” hemi but don’t recall any of the details. Does anyone know more about this engine project or the story of what happened to it?
when dodge came back into NASCAR they ran a big bore short stroke high RPM engines. after they won the championship NASCAR limited the bore size to 4.155 and put in a rear gear rule.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

pamotorman wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 8:18 am
Ratu wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 2:47 pm Can anyone help?

when dodge came back into NASCAR they ran a big bore short stroke high RPM engines. after they won the championship NASCAR limited the bore size to 4.155 and put in a rear gear rule.
What time period are you referring to?
The gear rule was the result of us racing 10500rpm in 2003. Dodge won their first championship since 1975, in 2012. About 7-8 years after the gear rule was implemented. There has never been a 4.155 bore rule. 4.185 for Cup, 4.195 for the other series.