Hypothetical cam question...how would it run?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Hypothetical cam question...how would it run?

Post by travis »

Totally hypothetical build at this point, but something I am very curious about.

Basic 8.5-1 smog era 350-ish size engine, smog heads with nothing more that a little port cleanup and a good valve job, basic stock iron or performer type dual plane, small tube full length headers with a decent exhaust system.

I’ve built a million engines like this...mild daily driver or utilitarian use vehicle stuff, using mostly comp cams 252-268 high energy (or similar from other companies), depending on gearing. For a 3.40 geared pickup I would normally use the 268. The result is always predictable, and they will run on cat pee if needed, even with an aggressive spark curve. DCR is in the very low 7’s. They run decent with little maintenance.

Now, change the 268 cam (218@.050, 110 lsa, 106 ica), with a custom ground 256@.006 cam, on a 104 lsa/100 ica...how does the characteristics change? Fuel economy, idle quality, power range, off idle throttle response, etc. Overlap at .006” is still 48*, but the ivc point happens 12* sooner (48 vs 60). Shorter, but harder hitting low end torque? Falls on its face at 4000 rpms? DCR increases to 7.5-7.6 range, so still should be no issues with pump fuel. What about idle vacuum?

I’m thinking an application like my buddies early 80’s ford van with a 351w and 2.75 gears could benefit from something like this, but then again this is well outside of any normal cam specs, so I dunno. If it was something magical then someone would offer something similar off the shelf.

Thoughts?
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: Hypothetical cam question...how would it run?

Post by mag2555 »

You always ask these hypothetical questions, for Gods sakes buy a Cam stuff it in a motor and find out, Jez!!
Lol!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Actually...that is the plan :D The big question is...who can grind something like this? I’ve read that a 104 lsa is hard to grind without cutting thru the hardened area
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

travis wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:21 pm Actually...that is the plan :D The big question is...who can grind something like this? I’ve read that a 104 lsa is hard to grind without cutting thru the hardened area
I'd start with CamKing.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

travis wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:40 am Totally hypothetical build at this point, but something I am very curious about.

Basic 8.5-1 smog era 350-ish size engine, smog heads with nothing more that a little port cleanup and a good valve job, basic stock iron or performer type dual plane, small tube full length headers with a decent exhaust system.

I’ve built a million engines like this...mild daily driver or utilitarian use vehicle stuff, using mostly comp cams 252-268 high energy (or similar from other companies), depending on gearing. For a 3.40 geared pickup I would normally use the 268. The result is always predictable, and they will run on cat pee if needed, even with an aggressive spark curve. DCR is in the very low 7’s. They run decent with little maintenance.

Now, change the 268 cam (218@.050, 110 lsa, 106 ica), with a custom ground 256@.006 cam, on a 104 lsa/100 ica...how does the characteristics change? Fuel economy, idle quality, power range, off idle throttle response, etc. Overlap at .006” is still 48*, but the ivc point happens 12* sooner (48 vs 60). Shorter, but harder hitting low end torque? Falls on its face at 4000 rpms? DCR increases to 7.5-7.6 range, so still should be no issues with pump fuel. What about idle vacuum?

I’m thinking an application like my buddies early 80’s ford van with a 351w and 2.75 gears could benefit from something like this, but then again this is well outside of any normal cam specs, so I dunno. If it was something magical then someone would offer something similar off the shelf.

Thoughts?
My thoughts are that you answered your own questions before even finishing them. :D

Higher idle vac.. very narrow but higher low rpm torque output due to lsa/icl.. make sure the collector is no larger than 2.5"(prime candidate for 2" collector choke).. yada yada yada.
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

travis wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:21 pm Actually...that is the plan :D The big question is...who can grind something like this? I’ve read that a 104 lsa is hard to grind without cutting thru the hardened area
Really, I've seen 102 lsa white box cams for not a dime more. Not doubting this just want to know if anybody can confirm this.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

And the hypothetical answer is.....buy the cam & try it!! That is what engine builders DO.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

n2xlr8n wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:25 pm
I'd start with CamKing.
We grind 104 LSA flat tappet cams, all the time for 2bbl circle track classes.
We used to grins a bunch of 104 LSA cams for the lower NASCAR classes, back when they ran 9:1 compression.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

tresi wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:17 pm
Really, I've seen 102 lsa white box cams for not a dime more. Not doubting this just want to know if anybody can confirm this.
I've used 101,102,103,104 lobe centers flat tappet and roller, with 95-97 intake centerlines. never heard it couldn't be done. But then again I wouldn't even try to run a cam under 220 that tight. Sounds like trouble.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Headguy wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:12 am
I've used 101,102,103,104 lobe centers flat tappet and roller, with 95-97 intake centerlines. never heard it couldn't be done. But then again I wouldn't even try to run a cam under 220 that tight. Sounds like trouble.
Bill Metzger at Lazer Cams, when he was still alive, offered what he called a "Street Rod" camshaft series for those enthusiasts not really interested in getting near max power but, wanted something different altogether; like bigger cam sound at idle which would smooth-out at part throttle, going down the highway.

I used many hydraulic flat tappet cams of his which were 210/215 @.050" ground on a 104 degree separation.

They did exactly what they were supposed to do.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:36 am
Bill Metzger at Lazer Cams, when he was still alive, offered what he called a "Street Rod" camshaft series for those enthusiasts not really interested in getting near max power but, wanted something different altogether; like bigger cam sound at idle which would smooth-out at part throttle, going down the highway.

I used many hydraulic flat tappet cams of his which were 210/215 @.050" ground on a 104 degree separation.

Run like an on/off switch? Lol
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:36 am

Didn'y Jon run a 100 or less lsa 400m SBF in EMC... Won the deal if I remember correctly.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Yeah, I think EMC has blown a hole in the on/off switch, "peaky" deal over the years. 98 LSA, 92 ICL. Maybe even 91 ICL: I'm too lazy to look :D

I like your idea, Travis, I'd just be concerned about a 48* ATDC IVC.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

RevTheory wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:51 pm Yeah, I think EMC has blown a hole in the on/off switch, "peaky" deal over the years. 98 LSA, 92 ICL. Maybe even 91 ICL: I'm too lazy to look :D
I thought it was something like that I guess once you reach the rpm you need thats all that matters, in some forms of racing you may need it to hold on a little longer, sometimes that just takes a few more degrees of exhaust.

4000 rpm power band is not exactly peaky is it. :D
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
user-30257

Post by user-30257 »

GARY C wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:57 pm
RevTheory wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:51 pm Yeah, I think EMC has blown a hole in the on/off switch, "peaky" deal over the years. 98 LSA, 92 ICL. Maybe even 91 ICL: I'm too lazy to look :D
I thought it was something like that I guess once you reach the rpm you need thats all that matters, in some forms of racing you may need it to hold on a little longer, sometimes that just takes a few more degrees of exhaust.

4000 rpm power band is not exactly peaky is it. :D
EMC cams also weren't 210@.050