Carburetor Issues NEED HELP!!!!

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

JDR Performance
Pro
Pro
Re: Carburetor Issues NEED HELP!!!!

Post by JDR Performance »

Have you sprayed anything through the idle fuel passages in the metering blocks to verify that nothing has clogged one or dried up in it while it sat? The first post mentioned it but was close attention paid to the metering blocks?
lekid

Post by lekid »

JDR Performance wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:12 am Have you sprayed anything through the idle fuel passages in the metering blocks to verify that nothing has clogged one or dried up in it while it sat? The first post mentioned it but was close attention paid to the metering blocks?
Yes. I did but I will go through everything again.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

Yes double check the idle fuel and transfer passages.
Sounds like it was never spot on and just the tiniest bit of gunk or whatever gas killed it.
Try the metering block swap.
You may need to enlarge your IFR's
Craig.
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

P.s. do you have the part number for your carb?
Craig.
lekid

Post by lekid »

Update:
I installed my buddies stock holley metering block on my carb and it runs flawlessly!!!

I am gonna go through the metering blocks again to see if I can't find some stuff in them. Anything I should look for in particular?

Also, I am pretty sure they are old Quick Fuel metering blocks, but they have 4 emulsion jets and I can only find 3 or 5 ones on their website. Will the 3 emulsion jet ones work as good?

I also saw that proform offers race versions witj 4 emulsion jets. Could I switch my emulsion jets fro my block to the new Proform and be pretty close?

Thanks for all the help!!!
lekid

Post by lekid »

I went through both metering blocks (took all the plugs and jets out) and could not see or find anything. I still recleaned everything and went to put them back on the carb and I found that my rear metering block was warped over 0.012"!!!!
I checked the front one, warped a little (0.004-0.005"), but figured that should not cause issues, so I installed it and left the Holley one in the back and it ran lile crap again!!! Reinstalled the second stock Holley one and rans lile a champ! Crazy how one little thing like that can cause a carb to run so poorly!!!
I ordered 2 new metering blocks. Quick Fuel does not offer the 4 emulsion circuit one anymore, but I found out that they still make them for Proform, so I ordered 2 Proform ones and going to switch over my emulsion jets over to keep the same fuel curve.
Hopefully that will fix all my problems. I will report back!
ozyfordman

Post by ozyfordman »

Iekid,
Thanks for posting your findings. Everyone gets a free kick with this feedback. Were you using the blue non stick gaskets or another type? I would have thought that there would be enough compressibility in those to take up .012". I will definitely file this nugget away for future use if I encounter similar problems.This is one of the reasons I'm on Speedtalk. Each thread can be a learning opportunity, though this is sometimes not the case.
Evan
lekid

Post by lekid »

I am using the non-stick blue gasket. Hard to say if the only issue is the warpage or if there is also a crack or someyhing that I cannot see in the metering blocks.

I went as far as I could before ordering new one. I don't like to just buy parts. I should get the new blocks mid-week next week. I will know if the problem is completely cured then
lekid

Post by lekid »

Received the 2 new metering blocks. Transfered the emulsion bleeds, idle bleeds and jets over and installed them on the carb. Carb now runs flawlessly!! Also, the stumble I was having at 1400-1500rpm before is gone as well!!
Thanks for all the help guys!!