Mopar Rocker Arms

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

hysteric
Pro
Pro
Mopar Rocker Arms

Post by hysteric »

Does anyone make a small block Mopar rocker arm that bolts straight on and doesn't need the shafts raised or moved back to get good geometry via the mid lift method?

I have brand new Harland Sharps 1.6's and the scrub pattern is very wide. I've looked at 2 different heads and they both have the same issue.

Hysteric.
paulzig
Expert
Expert

Re: Mopar Rocker Arms

Post by paulzig »

Hughes make rocker stand shims, to raise them if that is what you need? I cant see the harm in raising, if it achieves a better scrub pattern, I did on mine..

I havent seen a specific mid-lift mopar rocker arm
hysteric
Pro
Pro

Post by hysteric »

Needs a lot more than shims i can tell you. :lol:
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

hysteric wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:53 am Does anyone make a small block Mopar rocker arm that bolts straight on and doesn't need the shafts raised or moved back to get good geometry via the mid lift method?
No.

Talk to Mike at B3 Racing Engines (Google) about the offset spacer kits he makes.
hysteric
Pro
Pro

Post by hysteric »

Yeah I've seen the kit he offers. It certainly goes a long way to getting what have better but i would like to start at a better point than what i have.

Surely there has to be a rocker that's going to get me a lot closer than the H/S 's
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Closer? Probably. But you'll only know if you have a variety of individual rockers from different companies to compare on a given head.

Liveable? Depends on what exactly you're willing to accept for geometry.

A bolt-on "improvement" for the geometry issues resulting from the OEM shaft c/l to valve relationship? IMO, that's where B3's relocation kits fit in.

It's not just an SBM issue; the BBM can have the same geometry "thing". Regardless, not everyone feels the need to address it. Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't.
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

If you are going to work on a Mopar then you need to invest in a little rocker arm test jig like this one. This allows you to match up the available rocker arms with the cylinder head that you are working on. If you don't have something like this then you're just guessing when a new head comes in the door.
arms.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

It's not really a rocker arm issue, per se.

The issue is the way they mount. You can do like AndyF does and buy every brand of rocker there is and get it close or you can just fix it. Either way you need to fix it.

The issue is how the shafts mount. When you increase the the lift, increase the installed height, add a roller tip or any or all of that combination (and more) you'll never get the geometry correct with out moving the shafts. It's impossible.

That's why the W-2 heads were made with flat stands and used blocks. You can machine and/or shim the blocks and use offset blocks to fix the geometry.

It's sucks but it is what it is. One way or the other you'll have to move the shafts. And you can't just move them up like you already pointed out.

SS
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

It depends on the cylinder head and the amount of valve lift. For low lift cams most any rocker arm will fit on most any head. For really high lift applications you'll probably need custom machine work. For bracket race type cams in the 0.600 to 0.800 lift range you can probably find a rocker arm that will fit the head without machine work but you might have to try 3 or 4 different rocker arms.

The rocker arm vendors don't tell you that rocker arm X will work with heads A,B or C for lift range Z to Y. It would be nice if they did that, but they don't. You just have to figure it out for yourself. If you call the vendor with a specific question and you know what you are talking about they will help you. The better the rocker arm the more likely it is that you'll find someone who can help. T&D and Jesel tend to have a really good understanding of what fits and works. The Chinese junk vendors won't have a clue if their stuff fits or works. They just want your credit card number and shipping address.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
hysteric
Pro
Pro

Post by hysteric »

andyf wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:56 am If you are going to work on a Mopar then you need to invest in a little rocker arm test jig like this one. This allows you to match up the available rocker arms with the cylinder head that you are working on. If you don't have something like this then you're just guessing when a new head comes in the door.
arms.jpg
That's what i'm working on now. What is that 2nd one from the left Andy? Is that one of those Crane rockers that is no longer made?

It looks to be shorter than the rest.Does anyone have the Hughes or Comp cams rockers they can measure up for me?

Hysteric.
statsystems
Guru
Guru

Post by statsystems »

I think the one on the left is one that was offered by Don Gould at 4 seconds flat. I don't remember who made them. Then Crane, Hughes, Harlan Sharp, Crane ductile iron and what looks to be a PRW or a similar bushed stainless rocker.
Last edited by statsystems on Thu May 10, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

hysteric wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 6:19 pm
andyf wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:56 am If you are going to work on a Mopar then you need to invest in a little rocker arm test jig like this one. This allows you to match up the available rocker arms with the cylinder head that you are working on. If you don't have something like this then you're just guessing when a new head comes in the door.
arms.jpg
That's what i'm working on now. What is that 2nd one from the left Andy? Is that one of those Crane rockers that is no longer made?

It looks to be shorter than the rest.Does anyone have the Hughes or Comp cams rockers they can measure up for me?

Hysteric.
A PM to Andy will save you from the internet head ache as in posts. The guy does it for a living and is one of the most helpfull out there!
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Erson cams used to make an adjustable ductile iron rocker for the SB Mopar, may still be available.

Also, the early 273 rockers were a similar design.
Amilcar
Pro
Pro

Post by Amilcar »

hysteric wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 1:53 am Does anyone make a small block Mopar rocker arm that bolts straight on and doesn't need the shafts raised or moved back to get good geometry via the mid lift method?

I have brand new Harland Sharps 1.6's and the scrub pattern is very wide. I've looked at 2 different heads and they both have the same issue.

Hysteric.
Sorry if I missed it wrote somewhere but,is yours rockers ### ?

Special Notes:
* Needle bearing allow for more oil flow to the rockers.
* Oil restrictors may be necessary to maintain oil pressure.
* Rockers are designed for big lift cams requiring .100 to .150 taller valves.
* Rocker shafts are drilled to allow for 3/8 mounting hardware.
* Rocker spring clearance is limited to 1.500 if more spring clearance is required,
contact our customer service department to discuss your options.

Thats info from Harland

I guess your using STD valve lenght height.